MSC Divina--a photo review

EMc&DrS

Are there items like shampoo, q-tips etc. provided in the bathroom? Does MSC have am discounted air program?

I meant to mention this in my review. The shower had a dispenser with body wash and shampoo, but they do not provide conditioner. This about drove my wife crazy. Don't remember any other things like q-tips in the bathroom. Also, they don't give you a bar of soap, but there was a liquid soap dispenser built into the counter next to the sink. Ours didn't work well at all, so I finally started reaching into the shower to get some body wash when I needed to wash my hands.

Again many thanks for your wonderful Review and photos!

Industry wise, I'm not a huge fan of those 3 or 4 nights cruises. Due to the fact that MSC permits embarcation and debarcation mostly on every European port, I experienced that personaly on the last 2 nights of my last 7 nights cruise some 4 years ago. Those cruises, as mine, tend to atract sort of an almost always drunken crowd made of individuals or even small to large organised groups of them… Those that here in Portugal we call “Amigos do garrafão” (literally translates by “Wine flagon's friends”)… You'll get the figure… Some of those cruises are also done for partial charters focusing on certain interests, some if not most entertainment interests. Entertainment during those cruises tend obviously to follow that larger group, like my own with mostly german music… And finally they're an opportunity for the companies to give some rest time to part of their crew and/or to give some training on new employees and to prepare for other larger full charters, new itineraries or ship drydocks, once again like on my own experience. No surprise you gave a B to your cruise… And IMHO that was a great mark for what it was!… On my own experience the difference between the first 5 nights and the last 2 was abysmal! Overal I would give a B to my whole cruise, A solid A to the 5 first nights, but a C would have been nice from me for the last 2 nights, so large the service inconsistencies were from the regular MSC standards!… Give them another try on a regular 7 nights cruise and I think you will enjoy it even way better… And perharps give them a solid A!...

Finally and just out of curiosity: One of the things I most apreciate on MSC is their openess for the non drinkers like me in bars. They have a superb non alcoolic list of non alcoholic cocktais to chose from. Here in Europe they even have a kids cocktail page on the menus with some wonderful options! My favorite of them is the “Alice in Wonderland” cocktail! Perharps, did you notice them having those non alcoholic and kids page on their drinks menu for the Caribbean sailings? And at what prices?

Many thanks in advance!

Miksa1721, we are also sailing the Seaside on the 21st. See you in the lounge!

IMHO, Yacht Club is the only way to survive MSC. Even then the food is so-so.

We will all pray that God gives you the strength to survive another challenging cruise on MSC... especially within the confines of the Yacht Club...the struggle is so very real...

Miksa1721, we are also sailing the Seaside on the 21st. See you in the lounge!

IMHO, Yacht Club is the only way to survive MSC. Even then the food is so-so.

We are sailing with a very large group put together by our TA who almost sold the entire Yacht Club out himself,,,should be a great time!!!:D

We will all pray that God gives you the strength to survive another challenging cruise on MSC... especially within the confines of the Yacht Club...the struggle is so very real...

Amen. I don't know why people love to suffer and go on MSC :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amen. I don't know why people love to suffer and go on MSC :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I must have missed something, but I did rather go thru this thread pretty fast looking at the beautiful pictures. Is there something you didn't like about MSC, I'm wanting to try it, but I keep going back to RCCL

Thanks--glad it was helpful. As fas the "Coffee Cuddle," it was available on-line under the "Already Booked" tab. It was listed among all of the drink and food packages for $28.

You may also buy coffee drinks with the "More-For-Less" coupons, but for us buying the coffee-specific coupons was better so we could save the other coupons for adult beverages. With the "cuddles" you cannot buy anything other than non-alcoholic coffee based drinks and teas (although a few drinks like the iced coffee comes with a "dash" of Bailey's Irish Cream, and you could use a coupon for those)--not even water or gelato (which costs less than several of the fancy coffee drinks).

Added the coffee cuddle vouchers to our shopping basket today. Again, thank you :)

PART 7

27778425113_68782d3b03_c.jpg

On the second night we ate at Ristorante Italia, one of Divina’s specialty restaurants which only has five or six tables. We have enjoyed many specialty restaurants on several other cruises, so we were looking forward to this meal in particular. I had pre-paid for the dinner in advance on the MSC website, but was not given the opportunity to make a reservation until onboard. This was tricky. I called the restaurant after we arrived in our stateroom the first afternoon and made the reservation for the second night. The lady spoke broken English, and after I hung up I realized that she never confirmed my name or stateroom number. So, the next day I decided I would swing by the restaurant and talk to someone in person to confirm our reservation. Even after multiple attempts of going into the restaurant, I never saw another person there. After we returned from the pool around 3:30, I decided to call the restaurant. Surprise—when you read the very fine print in the “Daily Program” that is left in your room each night, you see that calls to the specialty restaurants can only be made between 12:00 and 3 PM and then again between 6 PM and 9 PM. So, if you wake up in the morning and decide you want to make a reservation for a specialty restaurant before heading out the door for the day, no luck. Or, you get back to your room in the late afternoon and want to see if any last minute reservations are available-no luck. I thought, “Surely, this can’t be right,” so I called anyway. No answer. Finally, at around 5 PM, I stopped by the restaurant again and there was actually somebody sitting behind the counter. This man, too, spoke very broken English, and when I asked to confirm my reservation, he told me not to worry—“it will be fine…8 o’clock—dinner for two.” I replied, “You haven’t even asked my name or looked me up in the computer.” Again, “It will be fine….8 o’clock.” As I stood there somewhat bewildered, he finally said, “Let me write down your stateroom number so you don’t have to worry.” He scribbled the number on a ripped piece of paper—again, no name—and sent me on my way. So, what do you think happened when we arrived at the hostess stand at 8 PM that evening? No reservation; no record of us in any way. Again, we were told not to worry, and the hostess took us through the Steakhouse to the small room around the corner, Ristorante Italia, where there happened to be one open table for two.

27778424393_964029492b_c.jpg

Once we were seated, however, there was a big huddle of several employees in the corner—all whispering and looking over at our table. Finally, the head waiter took charge and everything seemed to be resolved. We were handed menus with all sorts of al a carte pricing, so I explained to the hostess that we had pre-paid. Another huddle. Luckily, the head waiter knew how this worked, and he came over to show us what our options were within the menu we received. We were each able to choose one appetizer, one pasta, one entrée, and one dessert. We also were given a glass of Prosecco to start things off. Additionally, we opted to order bottled water for a fee instead of tap water.

28409028455_546a40f9ed_c.jpg

The food was delicious and beautifully presented.

28410036015_f7d4b7424b_c.jpg

Although we chose different appetizers and pasta dishes, we both opted for the filet as our entrée, and it was quite delicious.

28110519680_01d922dc7e_c.jpg

Dessert was delicious, too!

27793248393_3f81711216_c.jpg

At the end of the meal, a third huddle took place, but still they seemed perplexed about how to settle our bill. We didn’t say a word, but just watched with amusement as they met and then met again over a span of what must have been 20 minutes. Finally, my wife said, “Here he comes with the bill.” I replied, “This should be interesting.” I opened the folio to find a bill for $0.00. They didn’t even charge us for the bottled water, and there was no place to sign to add an additional tip. We left the restaurant just after 11 PM completely satisfied, but wondering if most of the employees were working there for the first time.

Side note—I happened to have the confirmation e-mail from MSC on my phone that I was able to pull up and show that I had pre-paid for the meal. This was especially helpful to have when we first arrived and no one seemed to know who we were or how we could have already paid for our meal. Since you can’t make your reservation in advance when you pre-pay, I would strongly recommend you bring proof of your purchase to the restaurant.

To be continued...

Thank you so very much for this wonderful review! We were actually on the same cruise with you! Really appreciated the insight on the specialty restaurants, as we did not find time to visit them, but are booked on Divina for May 2017 and will be looking to visit some of them. Cheers!

I must have missed something, but I did rather go thru this thread pretty fast looking at the beautiful pictures. Is there something you didn't like about MSC, I'm wanting to try it, but I keep going back to RCCL

No, the comment you referenced was made by someone else in response to another person's response to one of my posts. It actually didn't have anything to do with my review. How's that for a confusing answer?!?

No, the comment you referenced was made by someone else in response to another person's response to one of my posts. It actually didn't have anything to do with my review. How's that for a confusing answer?!?

Sorry, Hollon! I started the confusion. Apologies. Someone mentioned how the only way they make it through MSC Cruises is staying in the Yacht Club, which I found to be an ironic statement, having worked for four years on ships and loved it, and having recently cruised for the first time as a passenger ever ships on MSC Divina and absolutely loved it.

Thank you for one of the most enjoyable, reassuring, picturesque cruise reviews ever... we are sailing the Divina in Feb '17 and have been looking to learn all we can about her and the options (food, bev, pool, etc) on board. Your review is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Is there really no adults-only pool? Why do I feel like I read otherwise elsewhere? I'm kinda surprised!

Thanks again!

Thank you for one of the most enjoyable, reassuring, picturesque cruise reviews ever... we are sailing the Divina in Feb '17 and have been looking to learn all we can about her and the options (food, bev, pool, etc) on board. Your review is greatly appreciated!!

P.S. Is there really no adults-only pool? Why do I feel like I read otherwise elsewhere? I'm kinda surprised!

Thanks again!

There does not appear to be an adults only pool. We cruised on Divina July 5th. We enjoyed the infinity pool. There were some kids, but the pool attendant did not allow them to jump in. So, it was still relaxing. We were not YC, so we can't comment on their pool area. But, we did enjoy deck 18, renting a rattan bed for the day. There were no kids and the hot tub was lovely. And, the showers were great for cooling off. One is much colder than the other, so be prepared. :-) Have a great cruise!

Loved the review and pictures. I sure am glad I'm not the only one smelling sewer at the infinity pool. It happened on both my Divina cruises. They need to fix that in drydock this fall.

PS: I survived the Divina both YC and non-YC and thought each trip was lovely :).

PSS: Absolutely no adults only pool. MSC is missing the mark here because the solarium pool (or infinity) is perfect for adults only.

Loved the review and pictures. I sure am glad I'm not the only one smelling sewer at the infinity pool. It happened on both my Divina cruises. They need to fix that in drydock this fall.

PS: I survived the Divina both YC and non-YC and thought each trip was lovely :).

PSS: Absolutely no adults only pool. MSC is missing the mark here because the solarium pool (or infinity) is perfect for adults only.

Oh wow, we did not smell a sewer smell at the infinity pool. Interesting! I think the infinity pool would be a great adults only pool, especially with the smoking area and bar in close proximity. The solarium pool seems to be a better fit for kids. But, my goodness, is it ever hot in there! We could not stay in there due to the heat. And, I wish they could find an air conditioned place for the ping pong tables as well. We played one game one afternoon and I was drenched...and we are ping pong players...NOT...table tennis players. I should not have been in need of a clothing change and IV after one game...

Cheers!

Oh wow, we did not smell a sewer smell at the infinity pool. Interesting! I think the infinity pool would be a great adults only pool, especially with the smoking area and bar in close proximity. The solarium pool seems to be a better fit for kids. But, my goodness, is it ever hot in there! We could not stay in there due to the heat. And, I wish they could find an air conditioned place for the ping pong tables as well. We played one game one afternoon and I was drenched...and we are ping pong players...NOT...table tennis players. I should not have been in need of a clothing change and IV after one game...

Cheers!

I totally agree about the heat in the solarium!! It's ridiculous. But like RCL and Celebrity they could keep the roof on always and air condition the area to make it bearable. The solarium on RCL and Infinity is not cold, but it is comfortable. The ping pong tables could easily go to the back of the main pool area on deck 14 (the non-smoking side in front of the automatic doors). For some reason Divina does not use the automatic doors to enter the buffet and that whole area is wasted space.

Regarding smoking by the infinity pool, in April, they allowed the entire garden bar area to be smoking. In June, it was non-smoking and to smoke you needed to go directly above the garden pool. Did they allow smoking in the garden area on your cruise?

The sewer smell in the infinity pool was pretty strong but it waxed and waned and wasn't there 100% of the time. Several reviews have mentioned it. I think it's a sewer vent in the area rather than actual sewer. It was particularly strong walking in the morning. I was fine through the garden bar and then as soon as I hit mid-ship infinity smell was there for about 5-6 strides. Glad you didn't experience it :).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I did understand that :)

I totally agree about the heat in the solarium!! It's ridiculous. But like RCL and Celebrity they could keep the roof on always and air condition the area to make it bearable. The solarium on RCL and Infinity is not cold, but it is comfortable. The ping pong tables could easily go to the back of the main pool area on deck 14 (the non-smoking side in front of the automatic doors). For some reason Divina does not use the automatic doors to enter the buffet and that whole area is wasted space.

Regarding smoking by the infinity pool, in April, they allowed the entire garden bar area to be smoking. In June, it was non-smoking and to smoke you needed to go directly above the garden pool. Did they allow smoking in the garden area on your cruise?

The sewer smell in the infinity pool was pretty strong but it waxed and waned and wasn't there 100% of the time. Several reviews have mentioned it. I think it's a sewer vent in the area rather than actual sewer. It was particularly strong walking in the morning. I was fine through the garden bar and then as soon as I hit mid-ship infinity smell was there for about 5-6 strides. Glad you didn't experience it :).

We were on the April 30 sailing and the sewer smell was there and there was no smoking by the garden bar, thank God!!!!