Why do the reviewers hate MSC?

Stockjock

you see we really love the food on msc because it is different to normal restaurant food, and we find going with the proper Italian stuff rather than the MSC take on international cuisine is the best bet.

Absolutely hated the food on NCL Epic... beef burgers, sandwiches, pies and chicken wings. Not for me at all, then the "freestyle queuing" - eat where you want, when you want as long as you book it before you go... I'm not sure what I want for dinner tomorrow, never mind the next time I'm on holiday!

I guess this shows how subjective food really is and that one man's chalk is another man's cheese

Weird thing about the "quality" of food is that they get their products from the same supplier as Celebrity. I believe the true issue to be the preparation and presentation. That is further demonstrated by the lack of consistency among the same dishes.

Bret

It gets wacky review, IMO, because some people simply can't handle any deviation from their "go to" cruise line. They'd have similar complaints on other cruise lines or hotels that were not their "home" line. When I was on MSC I saw more Royal Caribbean logo wear than I have EVER seen on a Royal Caribbean ship. Many people started off discussion with "Well...on Royal..."

Yes, if you NEED to know there is going to be a Thriller Dance Flash Mob and need to know the precise day and date your favorite appetizer is in the dining room, that is to say you only like things done one way, period, then you will complain about MSC.

I actually found in several areas MSC exceeded expectations and exceeded Royal's product, but I went in with a lot more open mind to experiencing the differences.

Viva la différence. We enjoy different cultures along with the different food and languages.

I'm under no illusions when it comes to cruising on MSC, and hope to enjoy all the great things and likely will ignore some of the not so good. We eat to survive, we dine to enjoy and will continue to do so since food is just one small part of our cruises.

However, I don't agree that ALL Americans feel the same and want everything the same. Let's be honest, if we all liked the same things, why would we even need colour. just sayin' .... :)

Weird thing about the "quality" of food is that they get their products from the same supplier as Celebrity. I believe the true issue to be the preparation and presentation. That is further demonstrated by the lack of consistency among the same dishes.

Bret

On our last Celebrity Eclipse cruise the food especially the meat was not as good as it has been in the past. Seems like they both need to change suppliers. In fact the main dining room food was rather poor at times compared to past cruises. For this reason we have been taking land based holidays for the last couple of years. I was interested to know about MSC which is why I am here researching. We do miss cruising, especially from Southampton, but are interested to cruise from other ports too.

Viva la différence. We enjoy different cultures along with the different food and languages.

I'm under no illusions when it comes to cruising on MSC, and hope to enjoy all the great things and likely will ignore some of the not so good. We eat to survive, we dine to enjoy and will continue to do so since food is just one small part of our cruises.

However, I don't agree that ALL Americans feel the same and want everything the same. Let's be honest, if we all liked the same things, why would we even need colour. just sayin' .... :)

Great Post! :)... I'm sure you will very much enjoy MSC!

We did the Divina in April - loved it. Booked again with my parents for this Oct. Also booked on Seaside 2018. I don't recall any chopped up hallways. I was in a balcony, not the suites area. One thing we really like are the drinks coupons. We did soda, beer and wine for each night dinner. You are allowed to share and the price was good to begin with.

Cruise Prices have been good also.

Drink coupons? Could you please explain more about what they are , where to get them and the cost of them? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Drink coupons? Could you please explain more about what they are , where to get them and the cost of them? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As per their WEBSITE:https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Already-Booked/Cruise-Upgrade/Alcohol-Packages.aspx

Edited by champagne123
DDDDD

We did not know about the drink coupons prior to boarding, but while eating lunch the servers came around telling us about them. I have since seen them listed on their website.

There was a soda one with 15 coupons -30.00 plus grat

Dont remember the exact number of beers for a reasonable price

Both of those you could share them. So if not a really big drinker they worked great. I saw on my next cruise they have a cocktail one too, if I read correctly.

Also we got a wine package where each night you selected a bottle at dinner. There were 4 of us so one bottle was fine for us. We split the cost of that with the other couple.

While looking at my next cruise I did see them offered. Prices seemed the same as what we paid on board.

They do still have the typical all you want packages too, but we dont drink that much so these were perfect.

This was one of most enjoyable aspects of our MSC cruises. I love interacting with people from Europe and other places!

I agree!

If they "Americanize" the ships, which I keep hearing about, MSC is not going to be my favorite cruiseline anymore!

Well I have just deleted the Shipmate app from my phone! The rudeness and negativity of the reviewers on there is unreal!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

sometimes these people are almost enough to put you off cruising

I need a like button.

I don't mean rudeness to me btw it's just I don't think some of the posters realise that they are being insulting to other nationalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks Linda, I love different things, including vacations/cruises. Thanks Bea... ;)

Nikkiw60, I think it's great when we can explain to others that they've insulted us but I don't see it happening very often.

For example: we use the words "fanny pack" to describe a small purse we wear around our waists, however, someone from Australia and, I assume, other parts of the world too, would be insulted if you told them you had one of them. :eek:

The world is so diverse and our cultures are too and it causes friction sometimes. Living in a "melting pot" (again other's may find that term insulting) it's very obvious that we need to open our minds to the "viva la différence" adage, but, that's just my opinion, others will feel differently and that's okay too.

However, to expect an Italian owned cruise line to be run and developed the same as other North American (mostly USA) is where the problems seem to be with the reviews. I've read them, I can almost always identify the cruise line the reviewer normally cruises on.... oh well, can't please everyone so you got to please yourself... Ricky Nelson sang... a bit before you time. :p

Edited by All-ready2cruise
PS

However, to expect an Italian owned cruise line to be run and developed the same as other North American (mostly USA) is where the problems seem to be with the reviews. I've read them, I can almost always identify the cruise line the reviewer normally cruises on....

Totally Agreed

BTW, never give an Aussie a "V" for victory sign (Palm facing you). It means a whole lot different to us [emoji23]

LOL

What a typically arrogant European assessment :rolleyes:

You are not going to argue about dramatically overweight Americans ? And look how Europeans look . For europeans good lunch its arugula salad with calamari for Americans its burger and fries. By the way I am Canadian :rolleyes: