Buying Currency

tring

We intend to buy some foreign currency for a future cruise from City Forex via Fred, so we can collect it on board. We will need to pay for the currency as we order it and will have the advantage of being able to return unused currency on board at the same rate, which will be a big advantage for this particular currency.

We are wondering what will happen if for some reason we cannot go on the cruise, so cannot pick up the currency from the ship. It would seem logical that it would be automatically returned and refunded - but does anyone know if this is the case?

• 1 month later...

Yes, as stated here the offer is limited to certain currencies so would not have been of use for us as we wanted Danish Kroner. The initial information is somewhat misleading though and we had to make a mock purchase to get the full information. We have already been on the cruise we wanted the cash for, but managed well as we found an ATM not too far away from our first port in Denmark.

Thanks for the replies though.

I read on the FO website that this service is only available from certain departure ports--is the correct? I'm sailing out of Tilbury and that is not one of the listed ports.

I read on the FO website that this service is only available from certain departure ports--is the correct? I'm sailing out of Tilbury and that is not one of the listed ports.

Hi Tamara, you can order currency for the Black Watch Arctic cruise on 17 July. Go to the FO website and click on "Cruise Extras", select "Foreign Currency". On the "Foreign Currency Exchange" web page go to "How to order your currency" and click on the link listed under

Online : visit cityforex.co.uk .

That will take you to the CityForex website where you will see:

"Welcome to the City Forex - Fred Olsen travel currency site.

Our rates are very competitive so order your currency now and have it waiting on board the ship saving you time and money. Exchange any unused EURO, US Dollar or Norwegian Krone notes back on board the ship and receive the same rate as at time of purchasing.

All orders placed here must be paid for by bank transfer direct or debit card at the time of your order."

You then select which Fred Olsen ship you are on and when you select the Black Watch you go to "Please select your cruise" and it shows all of the Black Watch cruises, including "W1610 Tilbury : 17 July 2016 : Black Watch : Arctic"

You then put in your Booking Reference and other details to place the order.

Ken

Edited by Koz1

We will be sailing B2B on the Black Watch on the 8 July Norwegian Fjords cruise and the 17 July Arctic cruise. I've phoned the FO office and asked if we buy some Norwegian Krone for the 8 July cruise can we use it for both cruises and exchange any unused notes on board the second cruise since the first few ports on the second cruise are also in Norway. I was told that I would have to call City Forex to find out if this is possible.

I called City Forex and the lady I spoke to said she would check with the person who handles the Fred Olsen account. She came back and said that they didn't know as this service is arranged by Fred Olsen and that I would have to call the Fred Olsen office.

I think I will have to wait until we are on board to get a definite answer.

I'm really not sure how much Norwegian currency to buy as we have already paid for some tours and we usually use credit cards wherever possible when we travel so we'll probably get a couple of hundred dollars worth and get more from an ATM if we run out.

Ken

Edited by Koz1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to order some Norwegian currency through City Forex and selected my Black Watch cruise but when I tried to use my Australian Debit and Credit cards it didn't work so I phoned City Forex and was told that they don't accept foreign cards, only UK ones, so yesterday I purchased some Norwegian Kroner here in Australia.

Edited by Koz1

Glad to hear about the foreign card issue now--thanks Koz1. Since I'll need more than Norwegian krone, I'll just get all needed currencies here at our local Travelex. As long as I order at least $600 USD equivalent I won't pay extra fees to either get or return left overs.