Late Boarding Question

I have cruised with Fred Olsen before but it many years back so I am a little rusty on what to expect. I am doing the Black Watch Mystery Mini cruise from Harwich at the end of October. According to the port the ship is not due to until 15.30pm. Fred Olsen have allocated me check in at 4pm. It seems very late.

By the time everybody is aboard and the safety drill is completed it will be the evening. Please could I ask has anybody experience of late boarding and how does this effect dinner and entertainment.

I booked a Freedom Fare and have picked 8.30 pm for dinner but even that will not give much chance to get ready and have a pre dinner drink.

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Hi Stephen

We have boarded later than that and still made dinner and the show, so don't worry. If you have hand luggage you could always take a change of shirt and some toiletries in that in case your luggage isn't delivered before dinner. I notice you have booked a freedom fare so is that correct that there is no guarantee you will get your choice of dining time? If you are allocated the early sitting then you may have to have the pre dinner drink after :D

Also they may have open sitting on the first night so you can just go when you are ready.

I am sure it will all work out. Have a great cruise. I have always wanted to do a mystery one.

I just got off the Black Watch. Most of us had late boarding on this Arctic cruise as the ship was still stuck on Dover, due to repairs after fire, and we were all bused from Tilbury. In fact some folks showed up quite late and were given They started the first seating of dinner after the lifeboat drill (which was held at 5:30 pm) so it was a bit later than the usual 6:15 pm Everyone just wore whatever they had on to dinner as it was a smart casual evening.

I was also told by regulars that the boarding times you are given are not really strictly enforced so you could plan to turn up in port earlier. You can also call the Fred Olsen office the morning of your embarkation to double check ship's arrival time in port.

Thank you. I am reassured that everything will be fine. I will pack jacket, trousers, shirt and tie in my hand luggage. I may even try to just take hand luggage. It is only two nights.

I thought Freedom Fares came with your choice of dinner seating. I picked my cabin and dining preference when I booked. I thought it also included earlier embarkation and disembarkation. With the ship due to dock at 15.30 I cannot think that there will be scope to be much earlier.

Her previous cruise finishes the day before in Scotland. I guess she will be empty when she arrives in Harwich. I must admit as it is two nights I am a bit disapointed that the first day onboard will be so short. I was expecting to embark around 2pm. Never mind. I wonder how the economics of running a ship empty for a day work. Hopefully it gives the crew a bit of a rest.

It should be an interesting weekend. With only two nights the mystery port will have to be close by. I did get a Zica virus email from Fred Olsen so you never know.

Thank you again, Stephen.

I just got off the Black Watch. Most of us had late boarding on this Arctic cruise as the ship was still stuck on Dover, due to repairs after fire, and we were all bused from Tilbury. In fact some folks showed up quite late and were given They started the first seating of dinner after the lifeboat drill (which was held at 5:30 pm) so it was a bit later than the usual 6:15 pm Everyone just wore whatever they had on to dinner as it was a smart casual evening.

I was also told by regulars that the boarding times you are given are not really strictly enforced so you could plan to turn up in port earlier. You can also call the Fred Olsen office the morning of your embarkation to double check ship's arrival time in port.

I hope you enjoyed Black Watch and your cruise. My two previous cruises have been to the Artic. Both times on Boudica. Fred Olsen would be my first choice for the Artic. I would love to go back.

Thank you, Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed late with BW last week, I'd done the sums and realised we had limited time before dinner. I took my frock on with me and DH took his change of clothes, however the dress code was relaxed that evening as the cases hadn't been delivered to the cabins before dinner.

We weren't informed of this until arrival at the restaurant so we'd changed unnecessarily, felt better for it though.

The emergency drill took place after 2nd sitting, so it is all fitted in.

Take smart clothes if it's easy, but don't worry if it's not.

We sailed late with BW last week, I'd done the sums and realised we had limited time before dinner. I took my frock on with me and DH took his change of clothes, however the dress code was relaxed that evening as the cases hadn't been delivered to the cabins before dinner.

We weren't informed of this until arrival at the restaurant so we'd changed unnecessarily, felt better for it though.

The emergency drill took place after 2nd sitting, so it is all fitted in.

Take smart clothes if it's easy, but don't worry if it's not.

Thank you that is very comprehensive. I think I will take smart clothes in my hand luggage. It will be odd doing drill after dinner.

Best wishes, Stephen.