Golden Circle Shore Tour with Fred

Broch

We are hoping to go on the Fred Olsen shore tour Golden Circle in Iceland and would like to hear of anyone's experience of their trip. I have also looked at Independent Tours which I agree are cheaper but do not include lunch so I was wondering what sort of lunch is provided on their Tour.

I have searched the forum but cannot get any reviews. All information would be appreciated.

I have not done this with Fred, but we did do The Golden Circle with Swan Hellenic about three years ago. The cruise companies tend to use the same tour company (or companies) that are based in any particular port so Fred may well use the same company.

The tour was excellent and we saw a lot, with not a massive amount of travelling and the travelling that was done was enjoyable. We had lunch at a large restaurant near the Geysers and we went in after we saw the geysers. The tour is a very popular one and the coaches just follow each other round and park up together, so the lunch venue was very crowded with a busy buffet and long tables, if I remember correctly. There were sweets as well as main courses and I think there were some local options as well as standard buffet food, so plenty to choose from. I cannot remember if a drink was included, but suspect it was as I do not remember having to get a drink from the bar. I think there were hot drink machines, but not sure. We spent longer looking at and photographing the geyser that was spurting than the other tour companions, so we were a bit short of time compared to other people for lunch, but we preferred it that way. Probably a queue for the ladies, but it was not a problem there. Everything is expensive in Iceland, so lunch probably worth a bit.

There was a problem I had at our first visit (Thingvellir,) as I was the only person who wanted to use the toilet and there was a charge in local money into a machine and I had no change. There was a shop were I was told I may be able to get change, but the rest of the group were about to walk on. The tour guide asked the driver if I could use the toilet on the coach, which was kept locked, and he did let me use it. Smelly but it worked. So I suggest you get some change before the trip if you have chance to do so.

If you are going to Iceland you really need to travel to these sites and if you go to Akuereyri, you must do the tour from there which visits bubbling mud pools, lake Myvatin and another impressive water fall. It is those sites you visit Iceland to see and there is nothing spectacular in the ports. That is partly why we used Swan for that one as they include trips and also we knew they would have a Geologist as a speaker, which they did.

On one of those trips we were able to walk a short way along a small river by a big waterfall and be picked up at the other end, so you need suitable walking shoes and all weather wear in case it rains or is windy. After that short walk, there was a cafe (no time to use) and toilet blocks. There was quite a queue for the toilets there, but the coach did wait for me. OK my comments focus on 'basics' but that is something I always worry about with tours so you may find my comments helpful.

Enjoy Iceland

Edited by tring

I have not done this with Fred, but we did do The Golden Circle with Swan Hellenic about three years ago. The cruise companies tend to use the same tour company (or companies) that are based in any particular port so Fred may well use the same company.

The tour was excellent and we saw a lot, with not a massive amount of travelling and the travelling that was done was enjoyable. We had lunch at a large restaurant near the Geysers and we went in after we saw the geysers. The tour is a very popular one and the coaches just follow each other round and park up together, so the lunch venue was very crowded with a busy buffet and long tables, if I remember correctly. There were sweets as well as main courses and I think there were some local options as well as standard buffet food, so plenty to choose from. I cannot remember if a drink was included, but suspect it was as I do not remember having to get a drink from the bar. I think there were hot drink machines, but not sure. We spent longer looking at and photographing the geyser that was spurting than the other tour companions, so we were a bit short of time compared to other people for lunch, but we preferred it that way. Probably a queue for the ladies, but it was not a problem there. Everything is expensive in Iceland, so lunch probably worth a bit.

There was a problem I had at our first visit (Thingvellir,) as I was the only person who wanted to use the toilet and there was a charge in local money into a machine and I had no change. There was a shop were I was told I may be able to get change, but the rest of the group were about to walk on. The tour guide asked the driver if I could use the toilet on the coach, which was kept locked, and he did let me use it. Smelly but it worked. So I suggest you get some change before the trip if you have chance to do so.

If you are going to Iceland you really need to travel to these sites and if you go to Akuereyri, you must do the tour from there which visits bubbling mud pools, lake Myvatin and another impressive water fall. It is those sites you visit Iceland to see and there is nothing spectacular in the ports. That is partly why we used Swan for that one as they include trips and also we knew they would have a Geologist as a speaker, which they did.

On one of those trips we were able to walk a short way along a small river by a big waterfall and be picked up at the other end, so you need suitable walking shoes and all weather wear in case it rains or is windy. After that short walk, there was a cafe (no time to use) and toilet blocks. There was quite a queue for the toilets there, but the coach did wait for me. OK my comments focus on 'basics' but that is something I always worry about with tours so you may find my comments helpful.

Enjoy Iceland

Thank you for your reply which is always informative especially regarding the toilets which is always a concern for me when on tours so I am glad to have some idea where the toilets are. According to the description of Fred's tour we would stop for lunch after the geysers so I would imagine this is the same place you had lunch at. We are going to akuereyri but my wife has chosen to do the Whale watching from there.

Edited by Broch

Whale watching should be good from Akuereyri as there are a lot of them around. We sailed in for about midday and out at about 2.30pm the next day, so both were in daylight, and we had a proper wildlife speaker on board who was outside at that time and making bridge talks if applicable. We saw whales on both days, including a Blue Whale on the way out, which was very exciting. Well we sort of saw the whale - there was this massive area of completely calm sea!

I think it took about two hours each way up and down to Akeureyri, if you have chance to be on deck.

Edited by tring

Whale watching should be good from Akuereyi as there are a lot of them around. We sailed in for about midday ayrind out at about 2.30pm the next day, so both were in daylight, and we had a proper wildlife speaker on board who was outside at that time and making bridge talks if applicable. We saw whales on both days, including a Blue Whale on the way out, which was very exciting. Well we sort of saw the whale - there was this massive area of completely calm sea!

I think it took about two hours each way up and down to Akeureyri, if you have chance to be on deck.

Thanks, we get into Akuereyi port atound 7.30 and leave the next day at 7.30

Edited by Broch

Whale watching should be good from Akuereyri as there are a lot of them around. We sailed in for about midday and out at about 2.30pm the next day, so both were in daylight, and we had a proper wildlife speaker on board who was outside at that time and making bridge talks if applicable. We saw whales on both days, including a Blue Whale on the way out, which was very exciting. Well we sort of saw the whale - there was this massive area of completely calm sea!

Thanks. We get into Akuereyri Port at 7.30 am and leave the following day at 7.30 am

Edited by Broch

We took the Golden Circle tour on our Greenland/Iceland cruise when we called at Reykjavik. From memory a 3 course lunch was served in one of the restaurants in Geysir. There was a soup to begin with, then salmon with potatoes which was served on a large platter for each table and everyone took their share from the platter. There was a dessert. The food was good especially the salmon. If you have a special dietary request you would need to speak to the tours staff onboard prior to the call in Reykjavik to make arrangements.

We took the Golden Circle tour on our Greenland/Iceland cruise when we called at Reykjavik. From memory a 3 course lunch was served in one of the restaurants in Geysir. There was a soup to begin with, then salmon with potatoes which was served on a large platter for each table and everyone took their share from the platter. There was a dessert. The food was good especially the salmon. If you have a special dietary request you would need to speak to the tours staff onboard prior to the call in Reykjavik to make arrangements.

Thankyou, that sounds really good. We both love salmon so here's hoping it is still the same

I have taken this tour on two occasions with Fred. Olsen and thoroughly enjoyed it. One point not mentioned in the other contributions was that, at some times in Summer, there is a plague of mosquitoes. This was an especial nuisance on the first occasion. The experiences travelers wore face nets. It's worth a few pence investing in one of these to enjoy the beautiful scenery in greater comfort.

I have taken this tour on two occasions with Fred. Olsen and thoroughly enjoyed it. One point not mentioned in the other contributions was that, at some times in Summer, there is a plague of mosquitoes. This was an especial nuisance on the first occasion. The experiences travelers wore face nets. It's worth a few pence investing in one of these to enjoy the beautiful scenery in greater comfort.

Thanks for your contribution. Mosquitos love me as they want to kiss me all the time. Are they not just small midges in Iceland though?

Just to put a spanner in the works...... I organised our own Golden Circle trip last August. I did it all on line, and it was fantastic. The minibus picked us up at the dock and basically took us to all the places Fred goes to plus a few more where the bigger buses can't get. The driver was a lovely chap, spoke very good English and was very informative. The company was Fab Travel, a small family owned company, the son also drove an excursion from Akeureyri.

We stopped for lunch at the same place that Fred's tour stopped. It was very easy to purchase what we wanted. It was nice not to have a heavy meal at lunch time, much easier to stay wake in the afternoon! We paid the driver on the day by credit card, couldn't have been easier.

The Whale Watching trip in Akeureyri, yet again I organised it myself, on line. There is only one company so you really can't go wrong. There are 3 trips a day, morning, afternoon and evening. Fred usually monopolises one, so that still gives you options. You just have to walk round the bay 10 - 15 minutes, it really is simple. I have to say the Whale watching was amazing.

Thanks for your contribution. Mosquitos love me as they want to kiss me all the time. Are they not just small midges in Iceland though?

They may be small and they be midges but there are lots of them. Take a face net and some fly spray. If it proves to be very windy the problem isn't so great. Enjoy lovely Iceland.

They may be small and they be midges but there are lots of them. Take a face net and some fly spray. If it proves to be very windy the problem isn't so great. Enjoy lovely Iceland.

Thanks for the heads up. We will certainly take your advice and pack accordingly

• 1 month later...

We did this excursion with Fred last July and it was very good - although in July all of the locations are busy as you would expect. The lunch was 3 courses as described earlier with salmon and the good thing was that we were served promptly so could quickly get out to spend more time at the geysers.

I couldn't agree more about the trip from Akureyri to see the bubbling mud pools - I could have taken photographs there all day as the colours were amazing but it is not a pretty place and there are no loos there.

The weather in Iceland is really changeable so go prepared for everything - when we were there in July the hottest temperature was 14 and it was often much colder.

We did a cruise to Iceland last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. We very rarely book ship Excursions and didn't on this cruise either. We did private tours in Iceland with two other couples from our ship. We met them via the roll call here on CC.

Each of the tours were in mini buses and were great as there were only six of us. We had booked them with companies that had been recommended on Tripadvisor and they were excellent and a lot cheaper than the ship's.

We were also there in July, but didn't see any midges at all, but one of our guides did say they are normally plagued by them at that time of year.

It was about 15c but we did have some rain too. We had gone prepared, so it didn't really matter. Iceland is extremely expensive so we didn't bother changing any money.