Happy Hour on the Nieuw Amsterdam

canadarocks

To let those interested know, we just finished a 12 day Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Happy Hour was every day from 4pm-5pm in the Crow's Nest and in the Ocean Bar with the buy one get one for $2 option. On quite a few nights there was a Happy Hour from 9pm-10pm in the Crow's Nest as well.

We tried both the 4pm venues, and much preferred the Ocean Bar. The service staff was wonderful and the different appetizers (3 hot & 1 cold) they gave us every day were great. Even if you are sitting all alone, they bring you this great plate of appetizers. :)

They also offer some great Grey Goose martinis at the Ocean Bar, including a sampler of 6 for $19.99 with the 2nd for $2 during Happy Hour. A great deal!

So let me further question.......no matter what the cost of the first cocktail, the 2nd one is $2? And are there so many cruisers taking advantage its hard to get service?

We purposely don't attend for that reason and it is to early for us 8:00 PM fixed diners.

Our favorite cocktail venue is the Pinnacle Bar.

After Happy Hour, every time we passed through the Ocean Bar it was like a Ghost Town.

So let me further question.......no matter what the cost of the first cocktail, the 2nd one is $2? And are there so many cruisers taking advantage its hard to get service?

Yes to your first question and no to your second. :)

I had to sit at the bar on just one occasion when I arrived at about 4:40pm and a table wasn't available.

@canadarocks

So both Happy Hours are at the same time??? Boo. When we did the TransAtl. on N.A. in 2015, they were serial -- one 4-5 and the other 5-6 I believe.

A reminder that the second drink for $2 must be the SAME drink as the first. So if you and a companion drink different things, you'll each have to get two. Oh me oh my.

You can also buy bottled beer or even soft drinks and have one or both unopened to take back to your cabin. Although since the switch to $2 (from $1), the savings are not so great for sodas, but they are still savings.

Yes the afternoon Happy Hours were always from 4:00-5:00pm in both venues. The only other option (many nights) was from 9:00-10:00pm in the Crow's Nest.

Which means people on first sitting dinner have two Happy Hours they can take advantage of. While people on second sitting dinner have none that are convenient for their dining time. :mad:

@canadarocks

So both Happy Hours are at the same time??? Boo. When we did the TransAtl. on N.A. in 2015, they were serial -- one 4-5 and the other 5-6 I believe.

A reminder that the second drink for $2 must be the SAME drink as the first. So if you and a companion drink different things, you'll each have to get two. Oh me oh my.

You can also buy bottled beer or even soft drinks and have one or both unopened to take back to your cabin. Although since the switch to $2 (from $1), the savings are not so great for sodas, but they are still savings.

Which means people on first sitting dinner have two Happy Hours they can take advantage of. While people on second sitting dinner have none that are convenient for their dining time. :mad:

On our Westerdam cruise (33 days) we had two happy hours from 4-5 as canadarocks reported AND a happy hour from 7-8 pm.

Fair to both diners. I'm hoping it will be the same on our upcoming cruise for 30 days - especially our sea days ;)

On our Westerdam cruise (33 days) we had two happy hours from 4-5 as canadarocks reported AND a happy hour from 7-8 pm.

I've done quite a bit of cruising on HAL, yet don't ever recall a Happy Hour at 7:00, which is great for second sitting dinner, on any of my cruises. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I have seen later Happy Hours from time to time; can't recall if they were at 10:00 (which interferes with seeing the show), or 11:00 off hand, though. I do remember they were in places I didn't care to spend time---like Northern Lights.

I've done quite a bit of cruising on HAL, yet don't ever recall a Happy Hour at 7:00, which is great for second sitting dinner, on any of my cruises. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I have seen later Happy Hours from time to time; can't recall if they were at 10:00 (which interferes with seeing the show), or 11:00 off hand, though. I do remember they were in places I didn't care to spend time---like Northern Lights.

I don't think I recall it prior to my Westerdam cruise either, Ruth.

I checked my On Locations at Hal Cruiser Information and it was indeed at 7 pm every night in the Atrium Bar.

I was hoping that this might be a change they are making for longer cruises. I guess we will find out soon enough ;)