St. Croix Local

drake2014

DRAKE - HELP - we will be in St. Croix on 13 Mar 2017 on the Rotterdam and planned on visiting Coconuts Beach Bar and do some snorkeling but see on their Facebook page they closed in October. Has anyone else taken this place over?

We are looking for a place that is easy to get to and do some snorkeling. Coconuts was great.

Any ideas????

No one has taken over, coconuts is closed and empty.

Try Sandcastle or Freedom City.

No one has taken over, coconuts is closed and empty.

Try Sandcastle or Freedom City.

Thanks for the reply. How far are these spots from the cruise ship pier and which direction? Coconuts we a short walk to the left as we were leaving the pier.

Do you know which place might have the better snorkeling?

Thanks for the reply. How far are these spots from the cruise ship pier and which direction? Coconuts we a short walk to the left as we were leaving the pier.

Do you know which place might have the better snorkeling?

Well you have to pass Freedom City to get to Coconuts so it's a shorter walk then you're used to. The water can get a bit choppy on ship days for snorkeling.

Sandcastle generally is better swimming but you'll need a 5 minute taxi ride to get there.

• 5 weeks later...
Well you have to pass Freedom City to get to Coconuts so it's a shorter walk then you're used to. The water can get a bit choppy on ship days for snorkeling.

Sandcastle generally is better swimming but you'll need a 5 minute taxi ride to get there.

Hi drake, we were already sandcastle 2 years ago, pretty spot, well snokeling and good service there, we will recome in april 17, staying 3 nights close to dorsch beach.

Arethere any scooter rental or motorbike in Frederikstedt which you can recommend. .

To visit the island which beaches you can recommend while exploring the island by scooter or rental car comparing to dorsch beach? A little bit snorkeling , chair umbrella service or shadow by palms , relaxing bar for sundowners , panoramic views?

Cane bay or christensted beaches?

Or other hotel resorts with day passes!

water and naturell beaches like buck island without neccesary boat transfer. Without expensive tour operators?

Thank you for your tips

• 2 weeks later...
I will be visiting St. Croix in mid March. I have heard that there are humpback whales migrating this time of year. Would you be able to recommend any whale watching tours. I can't seem to find any

There are no whale watching tours on the island. Often times the boats to Buck island will see whales and dolphins but nobody caters to that here.

Hi drake, we were already sandcastle 2 years ago, pretty spot, well snokeling and good service there, we will recome in april 17, staying 3 nights close to dorsch beach.

Arethere any scooter rental or motorbike in Frederikstedt which you can recommend. .

To visit the island which beaches you can recommend while exploring the island by scooter or rental car comparing to dorsch beach? A little bit snorkeling , chair umbrella service or shadow by palms , relaxing bar for sundowners , panoramic views?

Cane bay or christensted beaches?

Or other hotel resorts with day passes!

water and naturell beaches like buck island without neccesary boat transfer. Without expensive tour operators?

Thank you for your tips

Glad you are coming back for a longer stay, I will do my best to answer all of your questions.

There are no scooter rentals in Frederiksted town that I know of. There is Freedom City Cycle for bicycle rentals if you are interested in pedaling. Cruzin Scooters down in Christiansted may be able to rent you a scooter if you want to go there.

For a rental car I recommend Judi of St. Croix from personal experience. http://www.judiofcroix.com/

Dorsch Beach is wonderful, as is Fort Frederick beach to the north. Lots of beautiful beaches out to the east, you might enjoy mermaid beach at the Buccaneer, or Hotel on the Cay's personal island beach in Christiansted (although you do have to take the water taxi boat for that one). Both the Buccaneer and Hotel on the Cay will cost you something for the day pass but both have bars and restaurants.

I don't care for Cane Bay myself.

We were just at the Sand Castle a couple of days ago. Nice facilities and good beach with decent snorkeling to the left as you face the water. $6 around trip shuttle from the cruise ship. $10 per person at the hotel gets you a chair, umbrella, and use of all the facilities plus 1 drink

. Beers were $4 and cokes were $2.

Will go there again our next time to St Croix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Forums mobile app

• 7 months later...
Looking for the closest beach to the cruise ship terminal in St. Croix, willing to walk. Any suggestions appreciated.

The closest beach is the Fort Frederik beach, just to the left when you step off the pier. However, there are no amenities on that beach.

The closest beach with amenities is Sandcastle Beach, off to the right of the pier. I would recommend a taxi to get there however as the beach road is quite heavily traveled and very narrow.

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking forward to our visit to St Croix on Celebrity Summit. We are planning a day with Caribbean Sea Adventures to Buck Island. Where will we find the taxis and what are the taxi fees from the ship to Chritainsted?

Thanks for the information.

Taxis will be available right at the pier.

Should be about $25

Ginger, most of the taxis on STX are big vans so I'm guessing you'll have no trouble finding one at the end of the pier.

Cruzan Rum recently responded to a request I made about whether they were open for tours yet. They said they hoped to be by January. So you may want to double check in a couple of weeks to make sure they are open.

I think if I were you, I'd just plan to leave the ship at 8:30 to grab the taxi van and get out to Cruzan Rum. I'm not sure that there will be much to see on the West End of the island before 9 a.m. unless you just want to take a drive through the rainforest and up towards Hams Bluff.

Ginger, most of the taxis on STX are big vans so I'm guessing you'll have no trouble finding one at the end of the pier.

Cruzan Rum recently responded to a request I made about whether they were open for tours yet. They said they hoped to be by January. So you may want to double check in a couple of weeks to make sure they are open.

I think if I were you, I'd just plan to leave the ship at 8:30 to grab the taxi van and get out to Cruzan Rum. I'm not sure that there will be much to see on the West End of the island before 9 a.m. unless you just want to take a drive through the rainforest and up towards Hams Bluff.

Solid advice as always @Lovestx, thank you!

Drake, we are considering a cruise that comes here in April and I'm researching things to do.

We are a BEACH loving family. We love to snorkel and even scuba at times. Are there any good beaches there that have good snorkeling that I should check out? If you could give me some names that would fit our needs then I can do some research on them. I'm just not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance. :)

I am sure that Drake will comment when he can but not sure whether he has electricity or reliable internet yet. So I will get you started.

Here are some beaches that offer chair rental, drinks and some snorkeling:

Rainbow Beach - not as nice as it used to be (according to my on island friends) due to Hurricane Maria, but there is a great restaurant with great drinks and chair, umbrella, jet ski and paddleboard rentals. Great island vibe. on the northern end of Frederiksted, about 2 miles from the pier.

Sandcastles - also in Frederiksted but south of the pier (about 1 1/2 miles I think). Also beat up by Maria but offers rentals, drinks, restaurant and some snorkeling. They have a cruise ship day pass package.

The Buccaneer - a 30 minute cab ride from the pier. The island's premier resort. Lovely beach, lounger rentals, restaurant and drinks. You will need to bring your own snorkel gear but my family loves snorkeling the reef there. $10 per lounger. No umbrella rentals but plenty of shade.

Tamarind Reef - a 30 minute cab ride from the pier. Rentals, restaurant and bar. Friends like the snorkeling there. Not sure the beach entry is a great as other places.

Cane Bay - Also suffered beach erosion due to Maria. Think you can rent loungers. Snorkeling a bit of a swim but at the famous "Wall" where scuba divers love to go. eat @ Cane Bay is there and is open for business again.

Hotel on the Cay - on an island in Christiansted harbor. A favorite of many but no snorkeling.

Hope that gets you going....

I am sure that Drake will comment when he can but not sure whether he has electricity or reliable internet yet. So I will get you started.

Rainbow Beach - not as nice as it used to be (according to my on island friends) due to Hurricane Maria, but there is a great restaurant with great drinks and chair, umbrella, jet ski and paddleboard rentals. Great island vibe. on the northern end of Frederiksted, about 2 miles from the pier.

Sandcastles - also in Frederiksted but south of the pier (about 1 1/2 miles I think). Also beat up by Maria but offers rentals, drinks, restaurant and some snorkeling. They have a cruise ship day pass package.

The Buccaneer - a 30 minute cab ride from the pier. The island's premier resort. Lovely beach, lounger rentals, restaurant and drinks. You will need to bring your own snorkel gear but my family loves snorkeling the reef there. $10 per lounger. No umbrella rentals but plenty of shade.

Tamarind Reef - a 30 minute cab ride from the pier. Rentals, restaurant and bar. Friends like the snorkeling there. Not sure the beach entry is a great as other places.

Cane Bay - Also suffered beach erosion due to Maria. Think you can rent loungers. Snorkeling a bit of a swim but at the famous "Wall" where scuba divers love to go. eat @ Cane Bay is there and is open for business again.

Hotel on the Cay - on an island in Christiansted harbor. A favorite of many but no snorkeling.

Sounds like Rainbow or Sandcastles would work but if the beach is in better shape at the Buccaneer it might be work the extra cab ride. Any body have any recent experience at them? How much would the cab ride be?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Drake, a bit of a different question here. Do any of the nearby beach bars have TV that would be carrying the NFL playoffs ? We are there on January 14 on the Summit and our favorite NFL team might be playing that day. Or any bars that show the games near the pier? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a great thread for St. Croix information. So thanks to all contributors. Does the Surf shop that Drake has mentioned on early pages of this have chair rentals and/or umbrellas? I think we will just wander around the area near the port, check out the fort, etc. but I do want to have some beach time. How is everything going in St. Croix since the hurricanes? We won't be there until Sept.(uh, oh, that season again) so I believe things should be pretty much back to normal. We have cruised many times, but this will be our first time to this island.

Thanks for this information. I have been staring at google pictures and researching all of these beaches you have suggested. This is going to be very hard to pick from. I'm sure I'll have additional questions once I narrow it done. :D

I don't like to step on Drake's toes...especially since he's a tremendous resource for STX cruisers, but I will offer some answers to the questions that are coming in this week in his absence. Please know that I haven't been on STX since Maria but will be returning there next week for a long stay. I have been following recovery efforts and on-the-ground reporting very closely.

jward, you might look into the Tap Deck Bar in Frederiksted as a possible NFL watching site. Lost Dog Pub (in its new location two doors down from the old) is another great possibility. They both have FB pages but you should be in touch with them to determine if the game you are particularly interested in will be shown on January 14. We are Pats fans and are working to make sure we have a location to watch that game. And remember, STX is on Atlantic time so the games will be played an hour later than East Coast time.

39August, the beach near the pier that Drake refers to is still lovely (according to my island friends), but the business that rented charis, sold food, was completely demolished by Maria and I don't think there's a replacement. Frederiksted has some lovely shops and the vendors will be set up near the pier on your port day; however, you can probably finish your browsing and buying in 90 minutes. So you might want to then take a taxi up to Rainbow Beach/Rhythms for the rest of your time in port. And things on STX are recovering nicely but there are many people still without power. By the time you visit in September, I would expect everything will be up and running with just a lot of damage and debris still visible.

mitsugirl, I'm glad you found the info helpful.

Thanks for the info. We will be in STX on the 14th. Still trying to decide between Rainbow Beach and Sand Castles Beach. Might be leaning toward Sand Castles at this point.

If you have any more thoughts let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, we will be in St Croix the end of this month. I have been trying to find updated information on the botanical gardens. I had read they had extensive damage from Maria. Are they open now? What is the best way to get to them from the cruise ship? Is there food available? Any information will be appreciated.