When should I upgrade?

DisneyDatknee

I'm currently on the Independence of the Seas and we just really want a balcony now for our Eurodam cruise. It was docked right next to us!

b2bd298b1eb7aaa7cc00ea658ba109d6.jpg

Anyways, it's $800 more right now and $200 more OBC than the interior we have booked so really $600. Today is final payment date. Should we wait? I heard someone said you could call to negotiate an upgrade later with HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DisneyDatknee

After final you might be able to get an upgrade, but no guarantees, and no one else is going to be able to promise you anything. Generally, if you call, they will sell you rack rate. If they call you, then you have a chance.

There is no way to tell what the demand and sales are for your cruise.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you really want a balcony, I would go ahead and ask for it now. Otherwise, you may not get one. But it is true that if you wait until after final payment is due, the price difference should go down.

Such a dilemma.

If you really want a balcony, I would go ahead and ask for it now. Otherwise, you may not get one. But it is true that if you wait until after final payment is due, the price difference should go down.

Such a dilemma.

We might go ahead and do it then. It's already great deal in my book.

Generally, if you call, they will sell you rack rate. If they call you, then you have a chance.
I agree that there isn't much negotiating room if you call them. On our one Prinsendam cruise HAL chose to sail with many open balcony cabins (our steward said about 100) rather than accept what I thought was a reasonable counter-offer to what they quoted.

Edited by jtl513

I called and asked my TA and they said I would lose and not gain any OBC if I upgraded. Trying to contact HAL as $200 OBC was compensation for something else and not apart of promo. I will still pay the $700 upgrade fee, but really want to keep as much OBC as I can... Going back the owner of the TA again for this mess.

Edited by DisneyDatknee

I called and asked my TA and they said I would lose and not gain any OBC if I upgraded. Trying to contact HAL as $200 OBC was compensation for something else and not apart of promo. I will still pay the $700 upgrade fee, but really want to keep as much OBC as I can... Going back the owner of the TA again for this mess.

Is it an Upsell from HAL or are you upgrading to another category?

Upsell you should not loose anything.

No upsell. I just want to upgrade from J to VB.

A call to HAL inventory control could not hurt to see if there are any upsells.

And if it is 700.00 maybe your TA can give you some of their commission or gift onboard.

We were just in a similar situation. I wanted an OBC from my AMEX card. I called HAL and they put it on BUT it went from 699.00 p/p to 2100.00 p/p.

Once I saw that I called back and said I didn't want the 200.00 credit that bad. It was set back to the 699.00.

A call to HAL inventory control could not hurt to see if there are any upsells.

And if it is 700.00 maybe your TA can give you some of their commission or gift onboard.

We were just in a similar situation. I wanted an OBC from my AMEX card. I called HAL and they put it on BUT it went from 699.00 p/p to 2100.00 p/p.

Once I saw that I called back and said I didn't want the 200.00 credit that bad. It was set back to the 699.00.

Can I call them even though I have a TA?