Tight "budget" in Turks

beshears

There are 8 of us that plan to be in Turks next March.

We are on a "tight" budget. Is there anything we can see/do that doesn't cost much, or is almost free, or free?

Everyone is depending upon me to come up with "ideas," that is why I am asking.

You're in luck at Grand Turk! :D

As others have said ... The beach and chairs are at no cost in the port terminal area.

The huge pool and chairs at Margaritaville are also at no charge.

There will be a charge for any drinks/food you order.

Thank you ALL for your responses. This will really help. I know everyone loves the pool/beach, so that will really help.

Are there any vendors that sell the native products, and if so, do they bargain or anything like that? I know some ports do, not that we would be trying to get the product free.

Anything to see that would be a MUST there?

Thank you ALL for your responses. This will really help. I know everyone loves the pool/beach, so that will really help.

If you have anyone going who likes snorkeling, you can also snorkel right off the beach by Margaritaville. I was there last Thursday and was surprised at how good the snorkeling was, out by the line that you're not supposed to go past (but we did, a little. :) )

There are two anchors and a cannon submerged out there (15-20 feet deep) to encourage coral growth, and there were more fish there than there were last year. Next to there it drops to 40 feet deep.

Are there any vendors that sell the native products, and if so, do they bargain or anything like that? I know some ports do, not that we would be trying to get the product free.

There are a limited number of vendors at the port area, which also translates into less bargaining and higher prices. Unlike, say, Nassau, where vendors are [too] plentiful and pricing competition is fierce, a $20 souvenir t-shirt at Grand Turk will probably stay $20.....whereas at Nassau a souvenir tee can be had for $4 or $5.

But you can always try to talk them down.

Anything to see that would be a MUST there?

Hard to say. The island is only 8 miles long with a population of about 4,500. You can take an inexpensive taxi to the capital city of Coburn Town (that's how it's pronounced, not spelled), or up to Grand Turk Lighthouse at the far northern tip of the island. It's kinda pretty.

Within walking distance there is an informational display to the right of the cruise pier about John Glenn's capsule recovery, which took place at Grand Turk. You can also walk the beach to the left past Margaritaville and hang out at Jack's Shack, which is co-owned by an American ex-pat and his dog, Topher, who is probably the most famous canine in the Caribbean. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Conch beach is down to the right about 5 minutes after you get off the ship. Just past, the second smaller dock you will see hundreds of shells on the beach. Worth the walk. Farther down is the southernmost tip of the island.

Also near that is the NASA exhibit that is very interesting

The Margaritaville pool is free as is the beach.

There is a rental hut close to the pier that rents various items as well.

I would save souvenir purchases for more touristy stop. You can always buy a tshirt onboard often that lists all your ports. Last day they usually have 2 for $20/25 The Margarita pool is really nice. We didn't buy any drinks and went back to the ship to eat. It's. A nice relaxing port without a lot of vendors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have anyone going who likes snorkeling, you can also snorkel right off the beach by Margaritaville. I was there last Thursday and was surprised at how good the snorkeling was, out by the line that you're not supposed to go past (but we did, a little. :) )

There are two anchors and a cannon submerged out there (15-20 feet deep) to encourage coral growth, and there were more fish there than there were last year. Next to there it drops to 40 feet deep.

Yep! My husband, son and friends went snorkeling there like 3-4 times throughout the day. They love the snorkeling there because it's nice, clear, and just easy to do. If you want, you can see about renting one of the Margaritaville cabanas, then you have a nice, secure place for everyone to hang and meet up throughout the day. It's technically for 4 people, but we had 7, since again, people in our group were coming and going all day. Just the other wife and myself pretty much hung there.

Good snorkeling right off the pier. As you face the port with the ship at your back, go to the right. it is a rocky area and you will see lots of fish, sea urchins, etc. we saw a massive ray when we were there in November of 2015.

there are local items for sale in the terminal area. as you come out of the dufree shop, take a left around the corner and there are local vendors with handmade soaps, locally sourced sea salt (what the island was historically used for) and other craft items.

I would like to check out some of the close beaches to the Ship on You Tube. Do they have names that anyone remembers? Thanks if you can. We will be on the Crown Princess on its March 25th cruise maybe the same one as our thread starter. The pool sounds Great at Margaritaville.

I would like to check out some of the close beaches to the Ship on You Tube. Do they have names that anyone remembers? Thanks if you can. We will be on the Crown Princess on its March 25th cruise maybe the same one as our thread starter. The pool sounds Great at Margaritaville.

Governor's beach, Margaritaville beach, white sands beach

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Turks & Caicos National Museum - $5 admission for cruise ship passengers.

It's small but sweet, well worth it. There are taxis waiting right outside the cruise center, the island is small & the fare is cheap. There was a little school boy who gave the spiel as we first entered the museum - something a little different than the usual drinking / beach activity. And you should have plenty of time for that too on your port day. Kids under 12 are free, according the website, if accompanied by an adult.

https://www.tcmuseum.org/

This is one of my favorite ports now. We are going back in March and I can't wait. The beach is directly off the ship and you can get great pictures with the boat right behind you. They even have the Carnival photographers going around and taking pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

We are on a "tight" budget. Is there anything we can see/do that doesn't cost much, or is almost free, or free?

Tight budget? Stay as far away from Margheritaville as possible. Beach and loungers are free

This is probably one of the (potential) cheapest beaches you will visit in any port. Everything you could possibly want "free" is there from the beach to the pool, to exploring the conch graveyard, seeing the dedication area/statues for John Glenn and so on.

Here's a link to my pictures from our first time there last year (we went a second time as well and rented a golf cart and explored the island and beaches), but it will give you an idea of the area.

Mitsugirly, thank you for those pictures to check out. Can't hardly wait until the 18th of next month. Actually I am retiring after almost 19 years on the job the 24th of this month. This will be the first time I won't have to worry about going BACK to work as soon as I get off my cruise. :)