A few comments about dinners in the MDR on the Nieuw Amsterdam

canadarocks

Just back from the Nieuw Amsterdam 12 night Caribbean cruise:

1) This is the 1st time we've done Anytime Dining on HAL (always had 8pm main on our previous cruises). The 2nd floor Anytime Dining MDR had two check in podiums. The one on the right was for "true" Anytime diners. The one on the left was for those with reservations. So they definitely take reservations, although we never bothered. It was never overly busy and we always asked for and got a table for two.

2) Tables #170 and #172 are extra large tables for 2 and they are lovely.

3) On the 1st formal night DH requested Pinot Noir glasses and/or a decanter instead of the standard wine glasses on the table. Our wine steward explained that it would take a few minutes but soon brought both to us. On a later night when I was on my own, a different steward was reluctant and explained that those glasses are supposed to be reserved for the Pinnacle Grill. I didn't insist or comment on the previous steward, but soon a waiter brought me the larger wine glass. So if the type of wine glass matters to you, ask..

4) We haven't sailed with HAL for a few years and I felt the food was just as good as before. The portions were a little smaller (which I think is a good thing). The soups, as always, were great. Salad variety has improved I think.

We just ate dinner in the MDR so I can't comment on breakfasts or lunches.

We had anytime dining on the NA for our last cruise. We enjoyed our table and servers so much the first night that we reserved the table and time for the entire cruise. We were very happy with the way they accommodated us. The staff on Hal are always eager to please!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

My traveling companion, who has been critical of HAL cuisine, and I were aboard this cruise and we enjoyed dining at the 2nd Seating. We both agreed that the MDR food was well prepared and properly seasoned with only a sprinkling of pepper being added, if one so desired.

Food in the Lido Market Place also was well prepared and delicious.

My traveling companion, who has been critical of HAL cuisine, and I were aboard this cruise and we enjoyed dining at the 2nd Seating. We both agreed that the MDR food was well prepared and properly seasoned with only a sprinkling of pepper being added, if one so desired.

Food in the Lido Market Place also was well prepared and delicious.

I agree and it was so nice to finally meet you. B.

I agree and it was so nice to finally meet you. B.

I am pleased that I had the opportunity of meeting you as well. I really enjoyed the conversation that we had.

I am sorry that we did not connect again during the cruise.

In my opinion, this is a failure of the CC Roll Call feature. We meet online; we meet ever so briefly at a M & G. But, if a planned repeat of the M & G does not take place, such another connection with a CC Member is not likely to occur on even the size of a HAL ship.

Best wishes for many more pleasant cruises, B!

Bob

I am pleased that I had the opportunity of meeting you as well. I really enjoyed the conversation that we had.

I am sorry that we did not connect again during the cruise.

In my opinion, this is a failure of the CC Roll Call feature. We meet online; we meet ever so briefly at a M & G. But, if a planned repeat of the M & G does not take place, such another connection with a CC Member is not likely to occur on even the size of a HAL ship.

Best wishes for many more pleasant cruises, B!

Bob

Saw you a couple of times as you walked by the Pinnacle Bar between 7-7:45 and was never able to draw your attention and a couple of attempts to track you down failed. Not as fast as I used to be.

I also enjoyed our short visit. Bruce

Edited by aliaschief