Pay in Full 21 months in Advance; what about insurance?

mrlevin

Yr policy should also cover you even before yr trip begins. That is, from purchase until last day of cover...Thus think about buying it when u book( pay) yr trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I asked my trip insurance person whether I needed to buy insurance now even though it was way before the travel date, and he said that in order to have pre-existing condition coverage, we would have to pay it now when we make the final payment. When we then purchase airplane tickets, we need to increase the amount. I neglected to ask whether we would get a refund if we cancel the trip.

I would think buying in the USA is the same as buying here in the U.K: buying yr insurance has no bearing on the date you make final payment on yr trip.

Remember yr insurance is needed not only for cancellation or disruptions, lost luggage but also medical events, particularly if you need repatriation.

Repatriation will cost £££ /$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In my experience, when's trip gets cancelled,my agent just holds the insurance for another cruise!

Repatriotization is another story. We would not be without MedJet. A bargain much more valuable than the premium! Good luck

Edited by duct tape

And I would not buy the insurance from Silversea - buy third party insurance. What if you paid off the cruise over a year in advance, and god forbid, Silversea went belly up. What good would your insurance be if it were purchased from Silversea? Third party insurance would cover your loss for the cost of the cruise.

It doesn't matter if SS self funds the inuring or uses another party. Do NOT buy through the cruise line. If there's an issue who do you think SS will favor? Plus anything you buy through the cruise line is usually more expensive than elsewhere since they need to get their cut.

If I don't care about pre-existing conditions, do I still need to pay at final payment?

thanks for all the experiences folks have posted.

No.

Technically you just have to pay before your trip begins.

However, carefully consider what you are purchasing the insurance for.

If it is so if you cancel the cruise that you get your money back after the penalty period begins then be sure to purchase it before those penalties begin. I realize that with Silversea there is a penalty if you cancel cruise after deposit and that is not what I am referring to.

I agree with Henry.

All......I find that I can get insurance at a lower price and with more coverage than those sold by the cruise line. Yes, they all use third parties but as Henry noted that is not relevant.

There are many insurance search engines.

I use insuremytrip.com which provides a nice listing of companies and policies and a nice way to compare them with each other.

Keith