Silver Explorer in south Greenland

HDS

We sailed on Silver Explorer Reykjavik to Kangerlussuaq in August 2016.

My report below doesn't meet CC's standards for a review. Laura suggested that I post it here.

As always the crew and expedition staff were absolutely at the top of their game to give passengers the best possible experience on and off Silver Explorer. And bouquets to the company for encouraging crew and staff members to move up through the ranks. One of our expedition leaders, Nicole had previously been the spa manager and one of the former butlers was joining the ship for the next cruise as an expedition leader.

Service, lectures, food and the company of our fellow guests were excellent. Juan is a great expedition team leader; he and his staff did their best to provide us with an interesting expedition cruise in an area which, in the fogs of late summer, didn’t reveal as much stunning scenery, snow-capped mountains, towering fjords or marine wildlife as many of us were expecting.

We cruised two very lovely fjords and had one zodiac ride close to a calving glacier. Otherwise the zodiacs were transport to shore. There were no wet landings or zodiac sight-seeing cruises.

For the very fit, there were a couple of strenuous hikes and for the rest of us, a soak in a hot spring, a stroll or brisk walk, around small villages, towns and the capital city, Nuuk. Plenty of time to meet the locals, who were welcoming, some spoke fluent English and were happy to chat with visitors about life in Greenland.

Most local guides who showed us around the larger towns had good English, good local knowledge and reasonable guiding skills. Groups were small enough to manage without “quiet vox” technology. A former member of the Greenland parliament gave a very impressive lecture and Q & A session on board.

The historian, Victoria and the archaeologist, Elizabeth who were inspired by the Norse history and its amazing preservation, transmitted their enthusiasm to many of us. Thank you for sharing your passion.

Like Drake Passage, the crossing from Iceland to Greenland can be rough or smooth. We had it rough but as Juan said: “that’s what Silver Explorer is built for.” We used anti-histamines and had no problems.

Greenland is developing its tourism infrastructure. I commend Silversea for working with small villages to give its passengers an authentic local experience and I hope they will develop these contacts further. World of Greenland, a major Greenland travel provider and Silversea agent at Kangerlussuaq is struggling to offer appropriate service there.

The next leg, which travels north from Kangerlussuaq, may offer more glacial mountain scenery. I summarise our experience as very interesting, rather than spectacular. We have seen southern Greenland and learnt a great deal about its history and living there. That’s why we travel.

Glad to hear that it was a fun trip. Was Juan, your expedition leader, Juan Carlos Restrepo? He was the geologist aboard our 2011 Svalbard cruise and we had seen that he was promoted to expedition leader a year or two later. Victoria the historian (if she's the same one as our 2009 Antarctica cruise) is also a hoot.

That's the problem with Expedition cruising.We did a Reykjavik to Churchill cruise in August 2013.Smooth seas to Greenland and beautiful sunny days in the fjords.A little different in Hudson Bay.

Juan was the Geologist on that cruise and we had both Robin West and Conrad to lead.

A very good itinerary.

The very same Juan Carlos. He and Stephan were the geologists on our Antarctica and Chile cruises Feb 2015. Juan went on leave after our Greenland cruise. Robin Aeillo (not spelt correctly) came on board for our Greenland cruise and is staying on Explorer. Chris Srigley was the only other from our 2012 cruises.

Victoria on the Greenland cruise was English and we enjoyed her sense of humour very much. Probably the very same person.

Great to hear those names.

Victoria was singlehandedly responsible for my taking the Polar plunge at Deception Island in 2009. I had no intention of doing it, but after several glasses of wine in the bar after dinner the night before, she convinced me that it was a great thing to do. So, the rest is history. It wasn't so bad...but Chris, being the smart one, stayed behind..."to take pictures," as she says. [emoji6]

Robin Aiello is a longtime favorite of ours. You've got to watch out when you're in her zodiac, or she will splash you. It got confusing for us when both she and Robin West were on the same expedition.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny