Monaco Grand Prix

Paint Horse

There is a cruise in 2017 and in 2018 that stops at Monaco when the race is being run. The cruise details on the website mention the race, but do not list the race as an excursion for the port. Does anyone know if Silversea provides support for attending the race, such as tickets, getting to the race course and back, and so on.

If you want to experience the grand race I would book a hotel room and be happy. Lunch at the George v is about $ 1000 a person on the patio. The family tends to charter the ship at the last minute, this has happened to me and two friends. I love SS, but in these instances the company has not been honorable.

I was in Monaco for the Grand Prix on Silver Spirit a few years ago.

SS offered an excursion package but I chose to make my own arrangements.

Getting to the course was straightforward, although I know Monaco quite well so I was able to walk from Port de Fontvieille where the tenders dropped us. The local bus service does operate before and after the race although I did notice some slight re-routes and timetable changes.

I'm not familiar with the place mentioned in the earlier post, but there are several 'hospitality' options where the race can be watched from various hotel terraces etc and would include lunch and drinks. The Hotel de Paris (still open but under renovation), Hermitage,Metropole and Fairmont come to mind.

Or you can just get race tickets.

Going back to your actual question, I'd recommend asking your TA to give SS call to ask if they're offering any excursions and check pricing.

There is a cruise in 2017 and in 2018 that stops at Monaco when the race is being run. The cruise details on the website mention the race, but do not list the race as an excursion for the port. Does anyone know if Silversea provides support for attending the race, such as tickets, getting to the race course and back, and so on.

Check Crystal for a Grand Prix cruise. I did one with them recently, and they generally offer several Grand Prix related excursions, one of which is around $15,000 but includes dinner the previous night and box seat at race. The passengers I spoke with who did the regular Grand Prix outing weren't overjoyed with the experience, however (long rest room lines etc.). If you're a race fan, however, you'll love it.

Thanks for the replies. I will be asking my TA about this as it looks like Silversea does not offer anything along these lines.

However, Windstar and Azamara do have what I am looking for it appears. I just do not know anything about these two lines.

I didn't meet anyone on my cruise who had taken up the SS Grand Prix specific excursion - it was ridiculously overpriced even for Monaco GP prices, and I think many found it off putting. So perhaps SS stopped offering it for that reason.

I'll be interested to know if your TA does find any information.

There's a review here which describes the SS excursion.

I met people on board who had paid a couple of thousand Euro per person for the roof terrace at the Hotel de Paris. It included a super lunch, included alcohol including good quality champagne and great views of the race.

The poster 'catlover' still posts here at CC. Hopefully they will see this thread.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=256188

Check Crystal for a Grand Prix cruise. I did one with them recently, and they generally offer several Grand Prix related excursions, one of which is around $15,000 but includes dinner the previous night and box seat at race. The passengers I spoke with who did the regular Grand Prix outing weren't overjoyed with the experience, however (long rest room lines etc.). If you're a race fan, however, you'll love it.

Crystal canceled their cruise at that time in order to shift the ships back to the US side.

There's a review here which describes the SS excursion.

I met people on board who had paid a couple of thousand Euro per person for the roof terrace at the Hotel de Paris. It included a super lunch, included alcohol including good quality champagne and great views of the race.

The poster 'catlover' still posts here at CC. Hopefully they will see this thread.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=256188

Yes, this is my review, (details of my experience then are in the link review about halfway down) from the May 2014 Silver Spirit cruise that featured the Monaco GP not so much as a usual excursion, but as something SS assisted with as an organized extra "event", it was not called an excursion per se. At that time it was at $1500/person for the experience for what turned out to be an uncomfortable bench seat without a backrest, impossible toilets with huge lines for women limited porta-potties, and poor view of checkered flag area (up and behind, though you could see other parts of the track well below you). SS did help organize the getting to and from the stands (not that hard) and have the featured speaker as described in my review. If we were to go back (not likely for this very expensive event, as we like our DVR recordings with commentary, replays and close-ups, and if we want to see a live GP we can go to Austin, TX now :), then we would opt for one of the hotels or yachts that sell space, which would have better views and nice private toilets so I would not be afraid to drink anything.

Thanks for the replies. I will be asking my TA about this as it looks like Silversea does not offer anything along these lines.

However, Windstar and Azamara do have what I am looking for it appears. I just do not know anything about these two lines.

FWIW, if you are a real petrol-head and want to risk a really unique experience, I'd base your choice on which line is most likely to dock rather than tendered in.

I've been to the Monaco GP many times andf have been fortunate enough to be on a private yacht and the other was Seadream. The private yacht whilst extremely luxurious was a terrible experience because your wellbeing is at the mercy of your neighbours and you will never sleep, but Seadream, (who I'd never cruise with again) was tied up and you could get off and wander around the track at night and see the teams preparing and walk the whole track along the track ... which we did at 2am! You can see the partying on the boats and the teams eating and drinking together and bonding. Etc. And then sit on the boat and watch the minor races. Our favourite was the "old timers" where they had real racing cars.

Basically I'm saying if you can get on a ship that is permanently moored and not relying on tenders closing for the night then you will have an extra dimension that you will never forget. You'll be given a pass that gives you access to all areas whilst it is "shut down on the land entry points. A few of my piccies will give you some idea. Catlover's advice was very useful to you. If you do want "arrangements" then manage these yourself and buy as best you can afford.

Failing being docked or perhaps even better for a more luxurious and flexible and a stay you have more control over all elements, then stay landside and train in (don't even attempt a taxi ) in for the special arrangements you made for the GP. We use to stay in a suite at The Carlton during the Film Festival and take in the both the Film festival and Monaco Grand Prix on the same trip.

Hope this is useful in suggesting other options if petrol is your blood.

Jeff

P1010510_zpsa24dc946.jpg

P1010499_zpsa600056b.jpg

P1010477_zps2b312ef0.jpg

P1010244_zpsf353de4c.jpg

P1010234_zpsbc23f3bc.jpg

P1010233_zpsc7c7d070.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff