SilverSeas Air

SJSULIBRARIAN

I would be a first timer on Silver Sea and the Silver Spirit next August. One consideration is the cost of air getting to Barcelona and returning from Rome. Silver Sea has a promotion of free economy air or $498 each way for Business Class for Mediterranean cruises which is more reasonable than what the airlines are quoting at this point.

I am interested in reading comments about this cruise line booking air. With other cruise lines, I have always booked my own except once and had a bad experience - a circuitous routing which made no sense. For those of you who have used Silver Seas air program, would you recommend it? Did it work to your advantage? Thanking you in advance. Barbara

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

I would be a first timer on Silver Sea and the Silver Spirit next August. One consideration is the cost of air getting to Barcelona and returning from Rome. Silver Sea has a promotion of free economy air or $498 each way for Business Class for Mediterranean cruises which is more reasonable than what the airlines are quoting at this point.

I am interested in reading comments about this cruise line booking air. With other cruise lines, I have always booked my own except once and had a bad experience - a circuitous routing which made no sense. For those of you who have used Silver Seas air program, would you recommend it? Did it work to your advantage? Thanking you in advance. Barbara

Really looking forward to responses on this because we just cancelled an Oceania sailing for September in favor of the Spirit August 25th sailing. One of the reasons for the switch was the $499 per segment business class upgrade. Our TA is booking it today. Based upon our sailing and personal preferences this was a much better deal.

We have used Silversea air many times. But don't simply ask them to book your air. Decide which flights you would prefer and have your TA ask Silversea to book those specific flights for you. If Silversea uses those airlines they can usually get your preferred flights and even the seats you prefer. This usually works for us. Good luck!

Really looking forward to responses on this because we just cancelled an Oceania sailing for September in favor of the Spirit August 25th sailing. One of the reasons for the switch was the $499 per segment business class upgrade. Our TA is booking it today. Based upon our sailing and personal preferences this was a much better deal.

I think the advice that might have been good advice and sensible a year or two back may not be as appropriate today.

Presumably if you made your own arrangements you would choose the lowest cost most inflexible tickets rather than fully priced full flex tickets. The problem is that recently more people have been posting about changes to cruises and indeed cancellations of cruises when charters have been substituted than ever before with little or no adequate compensation.

This means that if you book your own inflexible tickets you could find yourself with an expensive problem that you have to fully cover yourself if there is a change to either first or final port - or cancellation. So if SS book the flights for you then they are responsible for any changes and indeed and delays or itinerary changes, and you also get transfers. Also if you ask for your own choice of flights or departure SS might prove problematic if there is a change and claim they were simply making the flight arrangements for you and it wasn't a package. You requesting specific flights and dates might place you into a grey uncertain area you might not want to be in if there is a future problem. So if you want them to make your arrangements for maximum protection then check carefully if you go "off piste" with flights and dates.

However if you have miles and your chosen airline offers flexible terms on redemptions then using miles gives you the flexibility and protection you might need to cancel, but rebooking different flights at short notice may only offer you expensive flights.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. Good luck. Enjoy your trip.

Jeff

Interesting views on this one, to date haven't used SS air....usually because l like to fly into the departure port a day or two earlier to ensure l get there....and as Duct says SS do tend to fly one via the longest route and one can only assume that this is the cheaper option for them?

The question here is this.....if you decide to go with the flow and just let SS book you on their choice of flight then presumably you will be taken care of should arrangements not go accordingly to plan...as in delays etc.....

If however one decides to select their preferred flight route to suit the individual will SS ensure that the same rules and conditions still apply, or will one be out on a limb......

Just a thought.....

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we have used SS air we have always paid the $100/per for the routing and airline we wanted. Always got it, but your TA will play a big part in arranging it.

I have so far talked directly to a PCC at Silverseas who has been emailing and calling me since I asked for a quote online. She had told me that the air coordinates exactly with the voyage date and it was $100. to deviate from that (concierge fee). I said I always fly in at least one day before especially to Europe and she said that the concierge fee would be waved if I used their hotel which I would.

And you are saying I can request an airline and routing. I would do that.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks so much. Barbara

Interesting views on this one, to date haven't used SS air....usually because l like to fly into the departure port a day or two earlier to ensure l get there....and as Duct says SS do tend to fly one via the longest route and one can only assume that this is the cheaper option for them?

The question here is this.....if you decide to go with the flow and just let SS book you on their choice of flight then presumably you will be taken care of should arrangements not go accordingly to plan...as in delays etc.....

If however one decides to select their preferred flight route to suit the individual will SS ensure that the same rules and conditions still apply, or will one be out on a limb......

Just a thought.....

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Arrangements not according to plan" is of course my biggest fear. You raise some good questions which I will ask. I like to have control over my entire booking which is why I normally do my own air - but at this time the airlines costs are prohibitive and $998. RT business class is very appealing and the agent said that would be from Tucson. We'll see how this journey turns out.

Barbara

When we have used SS air we have always paid the $100/per for the routing and airline we wanted. Always got it, but your TA will play a big part in arranging it.

That seems to correspond with what our TA advised. We booked and paid Friday and he sent an email to SS Air for confirmation on several questions I had.

Jeff, I will certainly have the TA ask about the deviation/concierge fee impacting our ability to deal with unforeseen difficulties, along with reading the contract. Thank you!

I know this question will be answered by Silversea next week but I am curious. How far out can you book flights? We have an August 25th sailing.

Jeff, I will certainly have the TA ask about the deviation/concierge fee impacting our ability to deal with unforeseen difficulties, along with reading the contract. Thank you!

I know this question will be answered by Silversea next week but I am curious. How far out can you book flights? We have an August 25th sailing.

No probs, happy to help. :)

Some years ago I made arrangements via BA for flights to Istanbul to meat SS Wind. On the night before it was emerging on the news that BA staff had just up sticks and walked out and announced a lightening 24 hour strike. It seemed obvious to me that my flight would be cancelled and that any alternative I looked for had to be done NOW! I immediately went on line and picked up the last two seats to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines which sadly cost me full price. BA however paid up in full when we returned. It left me thinking what might have happened if SS had made the arrangements in such a scenario. I don't think the response the night before ie say 12 hours out or even worst arriving at the airport to find a cancelled flight, would mean you'd be adequately looked after. It really isn't possible. You'd basically flounder a lot, have a lot of stress, miss a bit of your cruise probably, unless you have a 24 hour TA who is prepared to go the extra 100 miles or take the trouble beofre to fully understood exactly what your options were. You cannot beat self-sufficiency, and contingency plans, and I hate suprises. One can't predict cancellations for whatever unforseen reason.

So if you take an SS package or a TA organised package ask what options you should take under this last minute problem scenario and then confirm that understanding back to them in an email. Don't ask them to confirm, you do it. Also check what cover your travel insurance might offer. But make sure you understand it.

So far as booking in advance is concerned each airline varies. If you book with Silversea you will find that they will not confirm your flight when you book unless you really fight. The reason is that they have options on seats and don't need to book any names. They also want to consolidate flight times in order to maximise their price and to reduce transfer costs at the cruise end by trying to get flights that arrive at roughly the same time. So they leave it for as long as possible to keep their options open and because if you cancel they charge you a cancellation charge but if they haven't paid the airline, the fee they collect from you is therefore pure profit. You can ask your TA to get them to book it for you now but the chances are a bit of a lottery. You should however insist on the routing being a part of the booking contract as others have said, and put it in writing to them in an email ie "I must leave and return to x airport and it must be a direct flight " that is if there are direct flights.

If you book it yourself BA for example is 355 days. But if you book at that time you will be paying more than if you waited a bit. They don't sell out at a year out and only sell that far out to people who want to pay full whack. So look at prices work out if you think they may go down ie dummy book flights for say six month out and compare and make some informed judgements.

Good luck,

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

My next Wind cruise next March #2709 came with a promotional return air fare to San Juan and back from Miami for an incredible £299

We duly booked and selected the route and complete flight details of our BA flights (onward to San Juan from JFK with AA)

At the time of booking, the fare BA were quoting for the exact flights we booked a fare of £2500. That's what it's cost for the 10 night cruise AND airfare. We are already able to book our seats and add extra luggage, so there should be no changes possible. Effectively it's our booking now.

Funnily, I looked at the cruise online again last night and glad I did.

We have already got a free upgrade from a Vista to a midship verandah, but today we also got added a free $1000 on board spend. (i.e. £833)

We'd already negotiated a good deal for a package with the 2 nights hotel. So this has become the best holiday bargain I think I've ever booked.

Edited by les37b

No probs, happy to help. :)

Some years ago I made arrangements via BA for flights to Istanbul to meat SS Wind. On the night before it was emerging on the news that BA staff had just up sticks and walked out and announced a lightening 24 hour strike. It seemed obvious to me that my flight would be cancelled and that any alternative I looked for had to be done NOW! I immediately went on line and picked up the last two seats to Istanbul with Turkish Airlines which sadly cost me full price. BA however paid up in full when we returned. It left me thinking what might have happened if SS had made the arrangements in such a scenario. I don't think the response the night before ie say 12 hours out or even worst arriving at the airport to find a cancelled flight, would mean you'd be adequately looked after. It really isn't possible. You'd basically flounder a lot, have a lot of stress, miss a bit of your cruise probably, unless you have a 24 hour TA who is prepared to go the extra 100 miles or take the trouble beofre to fully understood exactly what your options were. You cannot beat self-sufficiency, and contingency plans, and I hate suprises. One can't predict cancellations for whatever unforseen reason.

So if you take an SS package or a TA organised package ask what options you should take under this last minute problem scenario and then confirm that understanding back to them in an email. Don't ask them to confirm, you do it. Also check what cover your travel insurance might offer. But make sure you understand it.

So far as booking in advance is concerned each airline varies. If you book with Silversea you will find that they will not confirm your flight when you book unless you really fight. The reason is that they have options on seats and don't need to book any names. They also want to consolidate flight times in order to maximise their price and to reduce transfer costs at the cruise end by trying to get flights that arrive at roughly the same time. So they leave it for as long as possible to keep their options open and because if you cancel they charge you a cancellation charge but if they haven't paid the airline, the fee they collect from you is therefore pure profit. You can ask your TA to get them to book it for you now but the chances are a bit of a lottery. You should however insist on the routing being a part of the booking contract as others have said, and put it in writing to them in an email ie "I must leave and return to x airport and it must be a direct flight " that is if there are direct flights.

If you book it yourself BA for example is 355 days. But if you book at that time you will be paying more than if you waited a bit. They don't sell out at a year out and only sell that far out to people who want to pay full whack. So look at prices work out if you think they may go down ie dummy book flights for say six month out and compare and make some informed judgements.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeff I'd normally say that's sound advice and we did actually look at the prices back in April when we booked. The outward fare to San Juan is still showing up at £1366 and the return from Miami is still $1617 ... but post Brexit a big increase.

Obviously that's an oddity, but given we chose our flights from what they offered, the £299 return they gave us has to be a steal.

Plus on top of that, we got a 2 cat suite upgrade a month ago and this morning got a $1000 spend added. If they discount any further it'll be free! lol

Edited by les37b

Jeff I'd normally say that's sound advice and we did actually look at the prices back in April when we booked. The outward fare to San Juan is still showing up at £1366 and the return from Miami is still $1617 ... but post Brexit a big increase.

Obviously that's an oddity, but given we chose our flights from what they offered, the £299 return they gave us has to be a steal.

Plus on top of that, we got a 2 cat suite upgrade a month ago and this morning got a $1000 spend added. If they discount any further it'll be free! lol

Les,

You are clearly quite rightly delighted with the bargain you got, and I'm unclear why you think I have advised not taking a really good bargain when it is offered.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jeff

Most airlines book 300 days out. That is the time to use your miles!

Hi,

Most airlines book much earlier than 300 days out and unless you were extremely lucky then 300 days out would mean you had missed all the release redemptions opportunities. You need to be at your PC at a minute past midnight to start the game because if you do not you can rest assured someone else is. The game is to book the outward at release date and add return when it opens up.

This a list of the constantly moving tarket of seat redemption dates for each major airline. I hope is helps CC'ers ....

Air Canada Aeroplan - 356 days

Air France Flying Blue - 305 days

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan - 331 days

All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club - 356 days

American AAdvantage - 331 days

Avianca LifeMiles - 360 days

British Airways Executive Club - 355 days

Cathay Pacific Asia Miles - 360 days

Delta SkyMiles - 331 days

Emirates Skywards - 340 days

Lufthansa Miles & More - 359 days

Qantas Frequent Flyer - 353 days

Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer - 355 days

United MileagePlus - 338 days

Here is a handy calculator to tell you when to sit by your PC.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Les,

You are clearly quite rightly delighted with the bargain you got, and I'm unclear why you think I have advised not taking a really good bargain when it is offered.

Enjoy your cruise.

Jeff

Not sure why you're suggesting that's what was meant.

I was following on your suggestion to look at flight prices on release and 6 months on. I was saying the prices hadn't changed in that time which is unusual though we would have been paying more because of the exchange rate. Usually there is a price drop unless the demand is high which is why I agreed it was good advice. Brexit is an anomaly that shagged that and had we waited (because the offer wasn't there) we would have lost out on this instance.

Obviously a price of £299 would never beaten, but we still looked up the "real" prices hence why I have a reference to compare.

Edited by les37b

Thanks Les,

I still do not understand what there is to disagree with.

I was making a generalised suggestion about checking flight prices but not booking them when they are realeased. It was not a suggestion ntended to fit your flight with your particular and exact scenario.

Jeff

Hi,

Most airlines book much earlier than 300 days out and unless you were extremely lucky then 300 days out would mean you had missed all the release redemptions opportunities. You need to be at your PC at a minute past midnight to start the game because if you do not you can rest assured someone else is. The game is to book the outward at release date and add return when it opens up.

This a list of the constantly moving tarket of seat redemption dates for each major airline. I hope is helps CC'ers ....

Air Canada Aeroplan - 356 days

Air France Flying Blue - 305 days

Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan - 331 days

All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club - 356 days

American AAdvantage - 331 days

Avianca LifeMiles - 360 days

British Airways Executive Club - 355 days

Cathay Pacific Asia Miles - 360 days

Delta SkyMiles - 331 days

Emirates Skywards - 340 days

Lufthansa Miles & More - 359 days

Qantas Frequent Flyer - 353 days

Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer - 355 days

United MileagePlus - 338 days

Here is a handy calculator to tell you when to sit by your PC.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Jeff

Could you put up the link that gave you all the various numbers of days to book flights, please?

Not sure why you're suggesting that's what was meant.

I was following on your suggestion to look at flight prices on release and 6 months on. I was saying the prices hadn't changed in that time which is unusual though we would have been paying more because of the exchange rate. Usually there is a price drop unless the demand is high which is why I agreed it was good advice. Brexit is an anomaly that shagged that and had we waited (because the offer wasn't there) we would have lost out on this instance.

Obviously a price of £299 would never beaten, but we still looked up the "real" prices hence why I have a reference to compare.

Les, give it up. He will always twist words so it looks like he's right and you're wrong. Don't feed....

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to relay my experience with Silversea Air, thus far very pleased.

As previously mentioned we have an August cruise planned from Venice and it ends in Athens. We decided to upgrade to business class and I researched viable options with a variety of carriers prior.

When the booking window opened I had our TA explain that we wanted to spend two nights in the connecting country (London or Germany - British Air or Lufthansa respectively) prior to traveling to Venice for an overnight before the cruise. For the return flight we wanted to spend two nights in Athens prior to flying home.

SS Air returned by saying that Lufthansa would cost us an additional $500 p/p in addition to the deviation fee but British Air would only incur the normal $100 deviation. I am assuming this is due to the agreement they have with British Air and we were more than happy to choose the free open-jaw flight through London. Furthermore we were able to choose our seats through British Air no problem.

Not sure they will allow this for flights other than business class but this has been our experience.

So far, so good.

We got great flight times with our Galapagos sailing with our gateway being New York.

We usually fly business class, but each of our segments are about four hours...

Most of the aircraft that fly that route look to be nothing special and I decided to do free over what would have been another 4-5k. Indeed, it looks like most aircraft to South America have seen better days,,

To Europe is another story, but we have no time zone changes and flights are during the day,

Edited by Jacqueline

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just booked my first Silverseas cruise and they were offering the same special (upgrade to Business Class).......

First time in Business class for me:D.....I am also sailing in August but going from Barcelona to Rome. Anyway,

My TA got me the flights we both knew I would want and other than 1 error (which is now fixed) everything is good.....

lets hope it stays that way:)......Oh, I am arriving in Barcelona 2 days early. Now I just have to get through the

summer:D