Inside Cabin on Azamara or Balcony on Mainstream Cruiseline?

bamelin

Been thinking about trying out a Premium Plus or Luxury Line. My wife and I have always had balcony cabins the past on mainstream cruise lines. We are from frozen Canada so we really appreciate the sound of water and the heat (Caribbean cruises). We aren't "show" people, we spend our evenings on the balcony drinking wine to get away from the crowds and also so we can stay in more relaxed clothing. On Princess I even managed to get MDR service in our cabin which was awesome.

Azamara's Inside cabins seem very reasonable and not that much more than a mainstream cruise balcony but I'm worried we might miss having a balcony.

Worth upgrading to an inside on Azamara versus a balcony cabin on a mainstream line?

After numerous cruises with balconies on RCI, Celebrity, Princess and Azamara we had our first oceanview on Azamara Journey this last December. We were unsure how we would feel. I can honestly say we did not miss the balcony at all , although we have one already booked on Quest later this month and I am now thinking...why!?

We found that with a smaller ship there was always somewhere to sit and we really liked the promenade deck on 5, one deck up from our cabin on 4. Plenty of room to sit around the pool and up on the very top sun deck. I think this works well on a smaller ship rather than the larger mainstream ships, when deck space is at a premium especially around the pool. All outside areas are very accessible on Azamara rather than six or eight decks away!

Plenty of areas to enjoy your drink outside on Azamara. Perhaps try an oceanview first before making the change to an inside.

We've only cruised once on Azamara, so I've no idea of the size of an inside cabin, but personally I like to be able to use my balcony early morning so I can take photos as we arrive in port.On our TA Southampton to Montreal, I wouldn't have been without it.

We found the V2 balcony to be the smallest we have ever had, just sufficient room for 2 chairs and a rather large table.

After numerous cruises with balconies on RCI, Celebrity, Princess and Azamara we had our first oceanview on Azamara Journey this last December. We were unsure how we would feel. I can honestly say we did not miss the balcony at all , although we have one already booked on Quest later this month and I am now thinking...why!?

We found that with a smaller ship there was always somewhere to sit and we really liked the promenade deck on 5, one deck up from our cabin on 4. Plenty of room to sit around the pool and up on the very top sun deck. I think this works well on a smaller ship rather than the larger mainstream ships, when deck space is at a premium especially around the pool. All outside areas are very accessible on Azamara rather than six or eight decks away!

Plenty of areas to enjoy your drink outside on Azamara. Perhaps try an oceanview first before making the change to an inside.

Hmm I hadn't really considered that aspect of how much less crowded it would be. I normally avoid the top deck on mainstream lines, too crowded by the pool.

We are Canadians as well and took our first Azamara cruise in early January to the Caribbean. We are Elite on Celebrity, soon to be Elite+ and have also sailed on Holland America and Norwegian. For our Azamara cruise to the Caribbean we had an inside cabin for the first time and we didn't miss the balcony at all. Having said that, if it had been Alaska, Norwegian Fjords etc. we would certainly have had a balcony or at least oceanview because of the scenery. For us in the future, I think it will all depend upon the itinerary. Our next cruises later this month are B2B in Asia and for those we are doing Aqua class on Celebrity. As one of the earlier posters mentioned, the smaller ship makes it easier to navigate and there are lots of places on deck to sit and relax. We, too, loved Deck 5.

I would not want to cruise without a veranda, no matter what cruise line it is. :)

I used to say that.....but we have decided we will do what we have to do to sail with Azamara......balcony becomes less important when compared to the overall experience and the itinerary......I guess I have changed ......:o

I think that the Azamara experience is worth the trade-off of balcony vs inside or OV, if you're willing to make yourself presentable to go in search of a quiet spot outside your cabin. You'll find one for sure, but it won't be quite the same as just snuggling into your bathrobe for breakfast on your balcony or watching the moonlight on the water in the same attire. I can't talk myself out of that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the responses folks. Definitely going to think about it. I need to try out a Luxury line regardless for professional reasons, really so I'm a little more knowledgeable about the experience, based on first hand experience.

I know Azamara is technically only in the Premium Plus catagory, but from everything I've read both lines (Azamara and Oceania), are similar experience/service wise to the "true" Luxury lines ... the main difference being not being totally all inclusive and some smaller cabins.

I'm really interested to see how a cruise feels without the crowds you get on the mainstream lines.

Hmm I hadn't really considered that aspect of how much less crowded it would be. I normally avoid the top deck on mainstream lines, too crowded by the pool.

Like you we like to have a bit of space. If you like sun-bathing the deck 11 sun deck is lovely and you get a nice breeze when underway, so don't get too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Like you we like to have a bit of space. If you like sun-bathing the deck 11 sun deck is lovely and you get a nice breeze when underway, so don't get too hot.

Deck 11 starboard side there are some air conditioning outlets that blast cool air and we set up our loungers there a few times when there was little wind and hot and humid.

Been thinking about trying out a Premium Plus or Luxury Line. My wife and I have always had balcony cabins the past on mainstream cruise lines. We are from frozen Canada so we really appreciate the sound of water and the heat (Caribbean cruises). We aren't "show" people, we spend our evenings on the balcony drinking wine to get away from the crowds and also so we can stay in more relaxed clothing. On Princess I even managed to get MDR service in our cabin which was awesome.

Azamara's Inside cabins seem very reasonable and not that much more than a mainstream cruise balcony but I'm worried we might miss having a balcony.

Worth upgrading to an inside on Azamara versus a balcony cabin on a mainstream line?

My biggest fear going from Celebrity to Azamara was the size of the cabins (and balconies too if you have one) in comparison. In the final analysis it just isn't an issue. You are never far from outside on these small ships and whilst the cabins are smaller (particularly the bathrooms), they are perfectly formed and have plenty of storage. The service and feel on Azamara is far superior in my view.

In the past there have been promotions for a double upgrade (balcony for the price of an inside) so watch out for those. If an inside worries you too much then try looking at an outside cabin. I particularly like the cat 05 OVs on deck 4. Nice location and handy for Mosaic Cafe and the lobby. I book those quite often now, having stayed in all sorts of different cabins.

I love to swim but I find the lido on mainstream cruiselines are so crowded I'm feel too grossed out to go in the pool. It's the single most thing that bothers me it's the crowds.

Mind you on Star Princess she had a gorgeous back pool with whirlpools which was a pain to get to so it was always quiet.

Greetings

We were on Azamara Quest the beginning of January. Found a great deal on an inside cabin. We loved it. We would trade a balcony in a heartbeat for the difference in the level of service you get on Azamara compared to the mainstream lines. The entire crew was amazing. And there was never a shortage of spaces where you could sit out on the decks and enjoy the sea and surroundings. They are not huge overcrowded ships. Our problem is now our last 3 cruises were on Oceania, Viking Sea and Azamara and I fear we will never be pleased with the mainstream lines again.

Good Sailing

Tom

Thanks for the responses folks. Definitely going to think about it. I need to try out a Luxury line regardless for professional reasons, really so I'm a little more knowledgeable about the experience, based on first hand experience.

I know Azamara is technically only in the Premium Plus catagory, but from everything I've read both lines (Azamara and Oceania), are similar experience/service wise to the "true" Luxury lines ... the main difference being not being totally all inclusive and some smaller cabins.

I'm really interested to see how a cruise feels without the crowds you get on the mainstream lines.

We found a fantastic deal on a balcony with Oceania last year that was only about $125 more PP than the usual prices we paid on RCI. If you're flexible, keep checking the Azamara and Oceania sites and see what they're offering. We also got a great price on our river cruise that way. I understand, though--for our upcoming first Azamara cruise we booked an ocean view because we are already paying so much more that I couldn't justify the balcony for a British Isles cruise. Unfortunately the British Open cruise is one they don't seem to discount or offer specials. Maybe we'll get an upsell or the LCV offer closer to the date that we'll consider.

How does CC on Azamara compare to Aqua on Celebrity?

You really can't compare them. Whether you like the big ships with more amenities and more modern feeling or the smaller, more intimate nature of Azamara is a personal choice. The Club Continent suites are quite a bit bigger than Aqua Class (although the balcony whilst wider isn't as deep) and they don't have a dedicated dining room like Blu which seems to appeal to many. There are less "classes" on Azamara which I find a big plus. You can be in an inside or stay in the big suite and the experience around the ship is exactly the same, aside from gratis for the Specialties if staying in a suite, having a butler and a couple of other "priorities".

Just wanted to add my two cents that the inside cabins on Azamara struck me as being really small (haven't sailed in one so I can't say how the experience ends up). However, my favorite non-suite cabins are the 4 oceanview cabins all the way forward on decks 6 and 7. You can see on the deck plans that they are as long as a balcony cabin plus the balcony if that space were inside and have a giant round window with a little shelf. We ended up in one of those and the Hotel Director asked if we wanted to upgrade to a balcony and we said no!

I agree with everyone that you'll find the public areas less crowded, and feel less of a need to avoid them.

Also, if you want to go the ultra-premium/luxury-lite (pick your classification) route, Viking Ocean Cruises is all-balcony, and Windstar has been having great sales and their Star-class ships have French balconies in some categories. Perhaps a travel agent could help you find the perfect option for your budget. Oceania's R-class ships are the same layout as Azarama's, and they are known for their food, so also worth checking. Good luck!

I thought I would chime in here as the OP sounds very much like we were feeling before we tried Azamara. All of our cruises had been on Princess and we felt that we had found a good fit with Princess but we began thinking that maybe there was something else out there that we should try. We have always had balcony cabins and utilize our balcony a lot. We enjoy nothing more than sitting on the balcony in the evenings watching the ocean go by. The thought of not having a balcony was not appealing to us at all so when we discovered a "double upgrade" promotion on Azamara and realized that we could have a balcony cabin for the price of an inside, we jumped on it.

We knew from the moment we boarded Azamara that this was going to be something special. We felt right at home. Yes, the room was smaller than on Princess and the bathroom was almost microscopic.:eek: The balcony was very small as well. But, guess what? We really didn't use our balcony nearly as much as we have in the past because the alternatives were so pleasant and readily available. We are not pool people but we never had any problem finding a lounger at the pool (either in the sun or in the shade) to just sit and read. And because of the size of the ship, you actually meet people and get to know them. It was not unusual to walk into the pool area or the buffet, spot a new friend and spend time visiting with them. We loved sitting in the loungers on the Promenade deck. There was rarely anyone else out there and Azamara nicely places a warm, wool blanket on each lounger just in case it gets too chilly in the shade. Our experience was that this was a different cruise experience than our previous cruises. I would definitely consider giving up the balcony cabin for an inside or an ocean view if it meant choosing Azamara over Princess or any of the mass market lines because the balcony, in my opinion, is less of a factor on Azamara

My advice to you is to give Azamara a try and you may never go back. There are double upgrade promotions and BOGOHO promotions available if you watch for them. Who knows, you might not even have to give up your balcony cabin. We will be boarding the Quest in about a week and a half for our second Azamara cruise and we can't wait. We will cruise Princess again because we live near a port and can often hop on Princess for a quick getaway but you owe it to yourself to check out Azamara and experience the difference for yourself.

Just wanted to add my two cents that the inside cabins on Azamara struck me as being really small (haven't sailed in one so I can't say how the experience ends up). However, my favorite non-suite cabins are the 4 oceanview cabins all the way forward on decks 6 and 7. You can see on the deck plans that they are as long as a balcony cabin plus the balcony if that space were inside and have a giant round window with a little shelf. We ended up in one of those and the Hotel Director asked if we wanted to upgrade to a balcony and we said no!

I agree with everyone that you'll find the public areas less crowded, and feel less of a need to avoid them.

Also, if you want to go the ultra-premium/luxury-lite (pick your classification) route, Viking Ocean Cruises is all-balcony, and Windstar has been having great sales and their Star-class ships have French balconies in some categories. Perhaps a travel agent could help you find the perfect option for your budget. Oceania's R-class ships are the same layout as Azarama's, and they are known for their food, so also worth checking. Good luck!

I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure if it's allowed but I actually do sell cruise vacations on the side with a well known international agency. That's a big reason why I want to try out the Premium Plus or Luxury categories ... so I understand the product and experience better when speaking to individuals interested in this sort of vacation.

And to be fair I feel like the mainstream cruise experience has degraded from when I first started cruising 10 years ago, eager to see how the higher level cruises compare.

I thought I would chime in here as the OP sounds very much like we were feeling before we tried Azamara. All of our cruises had been on Princess and we felt that we had found a good fit with Princess but we began thinking that maybe there was something else out there that we should try. We have always had balcony cabins and utilize our balcony a lot. We enjoy nothing more than sitting on the balcony in the evenings watching the ocean go by. The thought of not having a balcony was not appealing to us at all so when we discovered a "double upgrade" promotion on Azamara and realized that we could have a balcony cabin for the price of an inside, we jumped on it.

We knew from the moment we boarded Azamara that this was going to be something special. We felt right at home. Yes, the room was smaller than on Princess and the bathroom was almost microscopic.:eek: The balcony was very small as well. But, guess what? We really didn't use our balcony nearly as much as we have in the past because the alternatives were so pleasant and readily available. We are not pool people but we never had any problem finding a lounger at the pool (either in the sun or in the shade) to just sit and read. And because of the size of the ship, you actually meet people and get to know them. It was not unusual to walk into the pool area or the buffet, spot a new friend and spend time visiting with them. We loved sitting in the loungers on the Promenade deck. There was rarely anyone else out there and Azamara nicely places a warm, wool blanket on each lounger just in case it gets too chilly in the shade. Our experience was that this was a different cruise experience than our previous cruises. I would definitely consider giving up the balcony cabin for an inside or an ocean view if it meant choosing Azamara over Princess or any of the mass market lines because the balcony, in my opinion, is less of a factor on Azamara

My advice to you is to give Azamara a try and you may never go back. There are double upgrade promotions and BOGOHO promotions available if you watch for them. Who knows, you might not even have to give up your balcony cabin. We will be boarding the Quest in about a week and a half for our second Azamara cruise and we can't wait. We will cruise Princess again because we live near a port and can often hop on Princess for a quick getaway but you owe it to yourself to check out Azamara and experience the difference for yourself.

Thank you for sharing you experience. I too really like Princess, especially the 10 day southern Melody itinerary ...

Here is my take. Thanks for listening (reading :) ). I think every cruise line has advantages. Just like Big ships have as far as the amount of options. If you haven't been to Georgetown Grand Cayman when there were 7 ships anchored and 12 - 18 thousand tourists invade the Island within a 3 hour window, let me assure you it's a real treat.

Small Ships offer a different port schedule etc. Some like a suite, others like an inside or must have a veranda. So it's not easy to come up with a qualitative answer for everyone. I am hoping that the small ship atmosphere allows passengers to get to know eachother and enjoy that intimacy you get when you make new friends on a voyage and actually see them another time during the voyage.

So my guess is that if you don't need a big cabin the inside cabins have their own charm. Port intensive cruises have a tendency to make me look at less expensive options because I am, most likely going to only sleep in the cabin. Doing a TA is a different matter. Why have a balcony if it's going to be cold (Not on like an Alaska Cruise where you want to see the ice). Others want to stay in their cabins. Some foilks never get off the ship between embarking and debarking.

So if smaller crowds, more intimacy with your fellow passengers, better food, less traveled ports, and midnight anytime you want it to be (like if you need to nap like I do) appeals to you then an inside is a great deal on Azamara. If you must have a veranda My guess is you'll be a little disappointed. How much so depends on you.

For me I'll be able to answer that avter my B2B in Oct.

We have mostly had deck 4 OVs on Azamara ( which we really like), a few times a balcony and, just once, an inside.

We generally feel that when we have a balcony we don't really make the most of it. We tend to spend most of our time outside in the public spaces...Well, if I'm completely honest, mostly at the Sunset bar!

I'm not sure I would book an inside again ( but never say "never") - it wasn't the size of the cabin or the lack of a balcony that was the problem but I found it very disorienting to wake up and not know whether it was morning or night or where we were.