"VOOM" on Navigator

Based on information I've seen in other threads, it appears Navigator does not yet have the actual full VOOM network.

With this in mind, does it make any difference if I purchase Surf & Stream vs the plain Surf Voyage? Is there any significant difference between these two on NOTS?

If I'm not going to get any additional speed, I certainly don't want to pay extra for nothing...

I will be on NOTS in March. I was planning on getting service. The best bet I see now is to purchase one day onboard and see how it goes. I would like to take advantage of a pre-sail discount but not knowing what to expect is not worth it for me.

If I'm not going to get any additional speed, I certainly don't want to pay extra for nothing...

That's the thing, you will get extra speed, but depending on what you use the internet for, you may not notice much of a difference. Stream can be up to 10x faster than Surf (5Mbs vs .5Mbs) but the high latency that affects both packages will have you waiting a long time for web pages to load.

I had Stream on the Liberty last week. Video playback was hit or miss, sometimes playing fine, other times with constant buffering. Web pages, Facebook, Twitter, etc mostly loaded just fine, if a bit slowly.

Did not try any live streaming, like FaceTime. Wi-Fi calling worked great. Made multiple calls. One over 30 minutes. Never lost connection.

I would expect similar results on Navigator.

That's the thing, you will get extra speed, but depending on what you use the internet for, you may not notice much of a difference. Stream can be up to 10x faster than Surf (5Mbs vs .5Mbs) but the high latency that affects both packages will have you waiting a long time for web pages to load.

I was under the impression that NoTS didn't have the full Voom yet. Don't you only get the higher speeds with the updated version of Voom?

I was under the impression that NoTS didn't have the full Voom yet. Don't you only get the higher speeds with the updated version of Voom?

What you get with O3B VOOM, is much better latency which leads to much better overall performance. You can get pretty good speeds on a non-O3B ship like Navigator (up to 5Mbs for Stream) but the performance will still be sluggish due to the poor latency. 1 Mbs on an O3B ship like Oasis will be much better than 1 Mbs on a non O3B ship like Navigator.

What you get with O3B VOOM, is much better latency which leads to much better overall performance. You can get pretty good speeds on a non-O3B ship like Navigator (up to 5Mbs for Stream) but the performance will still be sluggish due to the poor latency. 1 Mbs on an O3B ship like Oasis will be much better than 1 Mbs on a non O3B ship like Navigator.

Does the number of users on line at any one time impact on the apparent speed?

Does the number of users on line at any one time impact on the apparent speed?

Of course, just like your neighborhood when everyone gets home on a weekday the internet slows a bit - it might not be so obvious at home, but it does slow from the number of increased users on at the same time.

Is there VOOM on Jewel of the Seas. They list on their website 30% off on board prices. Do you have to buy for the entire week or can you just buy for a day or two? Are you able to use a kindle in the room?

Every RCI ship has VOOM - it is simply the marketing name for internet. You can buy either way. For a single device Surf the package price if you buy the week it is 12.99 per day (8.99 pre cruise). Each 24 hour period is $20. You can use the Kindle anywhere you can get a signal which should just about everywhere on the ship.

Yes you can buy for 1 up to multiple days. It gets cheaper the more days you buy at one time.

There are only two prices on board, single 24 hr periods and package price rates. The package does get discounted each day you wait (on day two of a week cruise you only pay for the remaining 6 days at the same rate - 12.99 per day for Surf single device) but the rate itself never goes down.

Based on information I've seen in other threads, it appears Navigator does not yet have the actual full VOOM network.

With this in mind, does it make any difference if I purchase Surf & Stream vs the plain Surf Voyage? Is there any significant difference between these two on NOTS?

There have been a lot of people using the Periscope app from Navi Voom, leading me to believe they have OB3. I'm on Navi the day before Thanksgiving. I'll report back.

Speed alone is not a good way to tell if a ship has O3B - the ping time is really is the best way to tell. We have had reports of 1-2 Mbs up speed (which is what is needed to scope) but does not mean it has O3B.

I run the Royal Caribbean Periscopers group on the site that can't be mentioned here. Periscope doesn't work on non OB3 Voom according to our members.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Surf and Stream package just went on sale for our cruise at the same price as basic Surf, guess that answers my original question of whether I should go for the higher speed package...

I'm not sure what's going on. All packages but the single device Stream have disappeared from the cruise planner on all 3 of my bookings. Two of them show 8.99 per day, Explorer for next May shows 11.99 per day. Book it while on sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I am currently on the Navigator and made a stream speedtest:

Down: 2 Mb

Up: 2.1 Mb

Ping: 410 ms

Now and then you have to wait 5 seconds to be responded but all in all it works pretty good for me.

Voice over IP is working fine (whattsapp, Skype).

Hello

Now and then you have to wait 5 seconds to be responded but all in all it works pretty good for me.

Thanks for the update. Just out of curiosity, which internet package did you purchase? Surf only, or Surf and Stream?

Hello

Thanks for the update. Just out of curiosity, which internet package did you purchase? Surf only, or Surf and Stream?

See above.

Hello

It was a little slow on the NE/Canada Anthem's Aug. 25th cruise as compared to the Easter Oasis cruise. Does anyone know what is the C&A internet discount on the Navigator for D+.