Faux handbags

Robinola

Why would you want a cheap piece of garbage that will probably fall apart the first time you use it? Not to mention you could potentially be breaking the law bringing counterfeit goods back into the U.S. (depending on how many you plan to buy), and might be supporting criminal organizations and modern day slavery.

https://share.america.gov/whats-wrong-with-buying-counterfeit-goods/

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/10/19/buying-fake-luxury-handbags-isnt-as-innocent-as-you-think-5-hi/21251101/

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/frontpage/2014/January/counterfeit-dont-buy-into-organized-crime---unodc-launches-new-outreach-campaign-on-250-billion-a-year-counterfeit-business.html

Why would you want a cheap piece of garbage that will probably fall apart the first time you use it? Not to mention you could potentially be breaking the law bringing counterfeit goods back into the U.S. (depending on how many you plan to buy), and might be supporting criminal organizations and modern day slavery.

https://share.america.gov/whats-wrong-with-buying-counterfeit-goods/

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/10/19/buying-fake-luxury-handbags-isnt-as-innocent-as-you-think-5-hi/21251101/

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/frontpage/2014/January/counterfeit-dont-buy-into-organized-crime---unodc-launches-new-outreach-campaign-on-250-billion-a-year-counterfeit-business.html

So true. Recently retired after 43 years in intellectual property law. One particular client manufactured high end luggage. Amazing the people who tried to have poor quality knock offs repaired. The government would get involved and there were raids as well as goods denied entry into the country. Sometimes fakes were confiscated by customs and fines levied.

If I couldn't afford the real thing, I'd buy something generic rather than an obvious fake.

Remember when they used to sell tons of faux handbags in Nassau at the straw market and at the front tent area in st Thomas.? Do they still do that? I heard they do it in San Juan now. Have you seen them in at Martin?

Have only seen poor quality in Nassau...St Thomas tent market still sells...but as far as quality goes we've gotten some good ones...better in some stores in St Maarten and St Kitts.

Everyone has their own personal feelings about this subject...and I respect them...they should do the same.

Everyone has their own personal feelings about this subject...and I respect them...they should do the same.

Do we get to pick and choose?

Domestic violence? Pick and choose

Sex slaves and 10 YO girls? Pick and choose

Heroin for your kids ? Ok to pick and choose

Groping at work is okay? Pick and choose

Do we get to pick and choose?

Domestic violence? Pick and choose

Sex slaves and 10 YO girls? Pick and choose

Heroin for your kids ? Ok to pick and choose

Groping at work is okay? Pick and choose

OMG :eek:...Great analogy...Some how not surprised at some of the hostility that a simple question by a poster can bring out...If you/other's are/were offended...move on...many are not looking for a debate. No wonder some are afraid to ask a question on these boards :(

Selling fake bags is illegal but it's not enforced in the straw market (or even some places in the US). It's also illegal to bring them into the US. Personally, I own several authentic Coach bags and the quality of the real ones is so much higher than the fake ones. BTW, most Coach bags do not cost $500. $350 is more in line with most of their products. Also, if you don't want to spend $350, just go to a Coach Outlet. I've bought several bags there for under $100.

And, yes, the fake bags are associated with human trafficking.

Edited by BND

I won't get into any moral issues.

What I would like to know is, why someone wants to buy a knock off? If one can't afford to buy the real thing, do they want others to think they can with the fake?

But it is a moral issue!

Selling fake bags is illegal but it's not enforced in the straw market (or even some places in the US). It's also illegal to bring them into the US. Personally, I own several authentic Coach bags and the quality of the real ones is so much higher than the fake ones. BTW, most Coach bags do not cost $500. $350 is more in line with most of their products. Also, if you don't want to spend $350, just go to a Coach Outlet. I've bought several bags there for under $100.

And, yes, the fake bags are associated with human trafficking.

I agree with this. I have several genuine Coach bags (and other brand bags) and paid nowhere near $500 for any of them except for a LV. Check out the Outlet Stores or even Ross and similar stores. Save up and buy a real one. They are much nicer than the knock-offs in quality :)

But it is a moral issue!

Yes, I know it is. The reason I didn't want to get into it is because there are posters here who don't want to hear those issues and will buy the crap anyway. I've seen this subject before and nothing anyone says will change their mind.:(

Ha! I once won $9000 of luxury travel goods - versace, bally, D&G and they are stored away in a cupboard because I thought people would think they were fake because the rest of my outfits don't measure up :)

Actually my sister and mother told me to keep them for my daughter who it now turns out is more interested in an expensive saddle than an expensive bag! (and those saddles plus horse plus equipment and transport add up to a lot more than some expensive clothing!)

Edited by lucymorgan

Yes, I know it is. The reason I didn't want to get into it is because there are posters here who don't want to hear those issues and will buy the crap anyway. I've seen this subject before and nothing anyone says will change their mind.:(

They will be the first ones squawking on these boards if they happen to be on a cruise when customs decides to have a crack down on fake handbags (or luggage or faux Rolex watches) and they get their merchandise confiscated and are hit with a fine.

I won't get into any moral issues.

What I would like to know is, why someone wants to buy a knock off? If one can't afford to buy the real thing, do they want others to think they can with the fake?

That's exactly it. Some people want others to think they have more money than they really do. :rolleyes:

It is a moral issue, but even if it wasn't I would never be caught dead with a fake knock off. It would just be a big lie which is what they are doing. Pretending to be someone they aren't.

Omg!!! I don't buy fake or real name brand pocketbooks. Not that important. But it sounds like some of you do just to make yourself feel important and the people who have to buy the fakes should be pitied. How sad to judge someone buy what they buy.

I have many real, high end designer purses (the usual suspects LV, Gucci etc), and I don't buy them to feel important or better, I had a good career which enabled me to have plenty of disposable income and I like nice things, my things of choice were bags, shoes and clothes. Well it is the fashion and beauty section afterall so that is why we are here:D

What bothers me more about the knocks offs now is, apart from all the things mentioned above, it funds terrorism at the route of it all, the very thing we are trying to keep off our doorstep.

I lived in HK for a few years and the knock offs were rife and just about everywhere and it was all run by the Triads.

I once had a discussion with a young member of staff who said to me I would rather have a knock of and $1,000 inside the purse but lets face it you are more likely to have $1000 in your purse if you have the real thing, but I digress.

It is entirely up to the individual but I wouldn't fancy bringing in an obviously new fake bag through customs these days.

Although not necessarily the luxury end some might want, you can get Michael Cors, DKNY, Calvin Klein and sometime Coach in the likes of Marshalls and even Ross for not a huge amount of money.