Formal night

Rjh8842

So I am the only one that wants to do formal night in my family. So I think we may end up just going to windjammers that night. I had heard that at the mdr they have some special foods on formal night. I was wondering if windjammers does any special food that night. Tia

We cruised last week and oddly enough both formal nights we ended up in the windjammer (fully dressed up) because the shows shifted our dining schedule making us miss the MDR. We didn't notice anything different about the foods served those nights.

So I am the only one that wants to do formal night in my family. So I think we may end up just going to windjammers that night. I had heard that at the mdr they have some special foods on formal night. I was wondering if windjammers does any special food that night. Tia

Why would you go to Windjammer (unless you just like the food there)? Go to the MDR dressed as normal, nobody will care...well, some might care but nobody will stop you from entering.

We are fans of formal night, as we don't get to dress up much anymore. I hope it is always an option.

Many do dress up more on formal night. Men do not all wear tuxes but many wear a suit, sports coat or just a tie or sports coat. Many women dress in dresses, long gowns, cocktail dresses or even career dresses.

It is your choice but shorts, t-shirts or jeans, in my opinion, are not appropriate.

Dress up and go on your own , you'll meet lots of interesting people and have a great time.:)

I personally prefer the windjammer. I go to formal night because my daughter likes it, but if she didn't, I'd eat in the windjammer every night. Why travel to a tropical place where you get to relax, and can pack light because few clothes are needed, only to have to pack a bigger suitcase to accommodate a formal dress, a suit, and all the shoes and accessories that go with it? Plus now you have to do your makeup and hair. It's hot out, it's muggy, and you're on the ocean where you can get away with wearing swimsuits and sun dresses all day, minimal to no make-up, and beach wavy hair, braids or ponytails. It's supposed to be relaxing and a break. But formal night throws that out the window.

I absolutely hate formal night, but I do it because I want my daughter to be happy, so hopefully you will find someone in your family who loves you enough to sacrifice their happiness and relaxation to suffer through formal night with you too, but if not, just know that the windjammer is not so bad. I like the food, and I prefer to be able to eat at my own pace, and to try a little bit of whatever looks good, instead of having to order whole plates of food just to try something. I don't have a huge stomach so I almost never eat an entire meal in the MDR anyway, so I just end up wasting food. I can see why your family prefers the buffet, but I also understand the fun some people have with dressing up and that they don't get to do it at home as much as I do. This will be a test for you to see who in your family loves you the most [emoji16][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I doubt I would go to the mdr by myself. I would probably prefer to spend time with my family since we do not see each other enough. But I was wondering if I did get one or two of them to come with me how would this effect seating. We are a family of seven so we will probably have our own table. So if all of us did not go would we still eat by ourselves or would they place people frim mtd with us?

I doubt I would go to the mdr by myself. I would probably prefer to spend time with my family since we do not see each other enough. But I was wondering if I did get one or two of them to come with me how would this effect seating. We are a family of seven so we will probably have our own table. So if all of us did not go would we still eat by ourselves or would they place people frim mtd with us?

Unfortunately you would eat by yourselves:(

I always get a small bite when the windjammer opens at night before we go to the room to take a shower and get ready for MDR. I don't think you will see anything special ( correct me if I am wrong) but I find most of the food from the MDR at the windjammer. For example I try the lobster bisque at the windjammer so I can get something else at the MDR but you will never find lobster at the buffet.

Last but not least, we love to dress for formal nights in fact that's when we take most of the professional pictures since we like how we come out in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No just the basic stuff.

Unfortunately you would eat by yourselves:(

No you wouldn't.

Just turn up and ask to share a table.They will be more than happy to accommodate you. If you are worried about just turning up then pop down to the dining room at lunchtime and let them know what you want to do.

Why would you go to Windjammer (unless you just like the food there)? Go to the MDR dressed as normal, nobody will care...well, some might care but nobody will stop you from entering.

On my recent 13 night, it was my first cruise not to attend the MDR every night but went to the Windjammer instead for dinner and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I just might do more Windjammer dinner on my future cruises.

There were also 3 formal nights on the cruise which I found to be excessive and spent one of three formal night in the Windjammer.

Agreed. What you wear SHOULD be your business as long as you are fully dressed

We are fans of formal night, as we don't get to dress up much anymore. I hope it is always an option.

Many do dress up more on formal night. Men do not all wear tuxes but many wear a suit, sports coat or just a tie or sports coat. Many women dress in dresses, long gowns, cocktail dresses or even career dresses.

It is your choice but shorts, t-shirts or jeans, in my opinion, are not appropriate.

I love formal night. not so much for the MDR experience but my husband and I (or maybe he just obliges) like get dressed up for the photos.

The most he will wear is a suit. Its the one time of year I will see him in one lol

Maybe I'm an "old soul", but part of the excitement of preparing for a cruise for me was deciding what to were on the formal nights! It was fairly disappointing to see so many people not taking advantage of what in my mind was like a classy masquerade party!

tux.jpg.10db5af08187a28c789290df041193f6.jpg