My time dining questions

Lynhay

Out TA booked us on My Time dining, although we would have been very happy with the 5:30 fixed dining time as our kids are young. So I have prebooked out My Time dining for everyday at 5:30 pm. Will be be seated at a table on our own (4 of us) or others? And if we are seated with others will it be the same people every day or will it change because we are on My Time.

Last question - if we come back from a shore excursion and are too tired for the MDR how to we cancel our booking? Can we cancel at the last minute? I don't want to inconvenience other guests.

Thanks in advance!

In MTD you're likely to be by yourself, but you can ask to be seated with others if you want to. If you're not intending to use your reservation you can either call down to the dining room or have one member of your party stop past and let them know.

Not sure if you prefer to sit with others but since you have same time each night and you are going right when it opens, you can ask for same table (I.e. and sane waiters). This will give you similar experience to traditional.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

You will be seated with your own party, unless others are willing to sit with you....there is no need to cancel your MTD reservation, unless you know in advance that you won't be there..then it's always nice to let them know. You not showing will not inconvenience anyone.

You will be seated with your own party, unless others are willing to sit with you....there is no need to cancel your MTD reservation, unless you know in advance that you won't be there..then it's always nice to let them know. You not showing will not inconvenience anyone.

Yes it will as they will be expecting to seat you at a table that could be used for someone else, in particular those without an MTD reservation waiting in line. Its also just common courtesy to let them know you wont be there if you have a reservation.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Not sure if you prefer to sit with others but since you have same time each night and you are going right when it opens, you can ask for same table (I.e. and sane waiters). This will give you similar experience to traditional.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

We like the sane ones too.:D

MTD is really flexible.

Out TA booked us on My Time dining, although we would have been very happy with the 5:30 fixed dining time as our kids are young. So I have prebooked out My Time dining for everyday at 5:30 pm. Will be be seated at a table on our own (4 of us) or others? And if we are seated with others will it be the same people every day or will it change because we are on My Time.

Last question - if we come back from a shore excursion and are too tired for the MDR how to we cancel our booking? Can we cancel at the last minute? I don't want to inconvenience other guests.

Thanks in advance!

We have NEVER called or stopped by to cancel a MDR seating time. Occasionally, as we enter, waiters from Specialty Dinning offer specials that we may elect instead of MDR. Formal nights we eat in our suite.

....there is no need to cancel your MTD reservation, unless you know in advance that you won't be there..then it's always nice to let them know. You not showing will not inconvenience anyone.

Of course it will, why would you say otherwise? A reservation is a reservation. Not showing without calling or notifying them is considered rude. Indeed, plans change and that's the beauty of MTD, but to purposely not show up and have that table sit empty for a period of time is ridiculous.

Imagine if people with reservations didn't show up all evening? What if, say, 30 guests did this - 50 guests - 100 guests.... can you imagine the chaos and upheaval?

Courtesy. :)

It is no trouble to change or cancel MTD reservations any day either thru a phone call or stopping by.

Exactly. It just takes a quick phone call. We did just that one evening when I was not feeling well. We had a reservation, knew we couldn't do a full sit down dinner, and so I phoned the MTD desk. The manager answered and knew who I was immediately and it was no problem to cancel. I'm sure they appreciated the heads up and they released our table to someone else.

Of course it will, why would you say otherwise? A reservation is a reservation. Not showing without calling or notifying them is considered rude. Indeed, plans change and that's the beauty of MTD, but to purposely not show up and have that table sit empty for a period of time is ridiculous.

Imagine if people with reservations didn't show up all evening? What if, say, 30 guests did this - 50 guests - 100 guests.... can you imagine the chaos and upheaval?

Courtesy. :)

Exactly. It just takes a quick phone call. We did just that one evening when I was not feeling well. We had a reservation, knew we couldn't do a full sit down dinner, and so I phoned the MTD desk. The manager answered and knew who I was immediately and it was no problem to cancel. I'm sure they appreciated the heads up and they released our table to someone else.

Really Rude??? So when Chops or other speciality restaurants get you with a discounted meal while waiting to be seated in MDR, it is Rude?? We didn't notify anyone when we went to Chops or other places.

On our Allure trip in January, we had late MDR dinning. We bought the 5 night speciality dinning package and only ate once in the MDR. Never called or told anyone we were not coming. On MJ, we had early dinning and went to MDR twice on the 3 days. Set at the same table both nights. Same people were there those two nights. On 4 day EN, we had MTD and never ate in MDR. Had dinner in our suite most nights. NEVER called anyone to CANCEL. We never cared about a time as we ate in our room. I just don't know how it is considered RUDE??

Edited by troykahack

Really Rude??? So when Chops or other speciality restaurants get you with a discounted meal while waiting to be seated in MDR, it is Rude?? We didn't notify anyone when we went to Chops or other places.

On our Allure trip in January, we had late MDR dinning. We bought the 5 night speciality dinning package and only ate once in the MDR. Never called or told anyone we were not coming. On MJ, we had early dinning and went to MDR twice on the 3 days. Set at the same table both nights. Same people were there those two nights. On 4 day EN, we had MTD and never ate in MDR. Had dinner in our suite most nights. NEVER called anyone to CANCEL. We never cared about a time as we ate in our room. I just don't know how it is considered RUDE??

It is considered rude if you have made reservations for MTD at say 7:00 for dinner. If you do not go, MTD will hold your table for a considerable length of time, assuming you will be arriving. By not cancelling your reservation, your table is held open for you to arrive, and others may need to wait longer to be seated.

Now, if you do not have any reservations made for MTD, then if you don't show up, there was never a table held for you anyways.

If you have traditional dining, and you do not show up a couple nights, that is not holding the table up for others to use. That is your table to sit at for the whole cruise for dining. It would be nice to let tablemates know if you are going to a specialty restaurant, then they would know not to expect you for dinner, and can go ahead without you.

These are all just common courtesy to others.

Edited by debshomespun

It is considered rude if you have made reservations for MTD at say 7:00 for dinner. If you do not go, MTD will hold your table for a considerable length of time, assuming you will be arriving. By not cancelling your reservation, your table is held open for you to arrive, and others may need to wait longer to be seated.

Now, if you do not have any reservations made for MTD, then if you don't show up, there was never a table held for you anyways.

If you have traditional dining, and you do not show up a couple nights, that is not holding the table up for others to use. That is your table to sit at for the whole cruise for dining. It would be nice to let tablemates know if you are going to a specialty restaurant, then they would know not to expect you for dinner, and can go ahead without you.

But many times the waiters from Speciality Restraunts grab you out of line with a special like BOGO. How is that RUDE? Royal does it... not us...

And if we order dinner in our Suite, do they not know we can't be in two places at once.

I would really like to know how it effects other scheduled reservations???

But many times the waiters from Specialty Restaurants grab you out of line with a special like BOGO. How is that RUDE? Royal does it... not us...

And if we order dinner in our Suite, do they not know we can't be in two places at once.

But many times the waiters from Specialty Restaurants grab you out of line with a special like BOGO. How is that RUDE? Royal does it... not us...

Royal may make the offer....YOU make the choice to NOT spend 2 mins. to walk up to the desk & tell the Dining Room Staff that you will not be keeping your reservation...so yes...it does effect other people who are waiting for a table...

Royal may make the offer....YOU make the choice to NOT spend 2 mins. to walk up to the desk & tell the Dining Room Staff that you will not be keeping your reservation...so yes...it does effect other people who are waiting for a table...

I sure would like others to chime in here. I really don't think Royal expects one to cancel a reservation for MTD in MDR. A Speciality Restaurant is a bit different and we have cancelled reservations and chose to eat elsewhere.

Another thing, we don't show up late to MTD in MDR. To me, that is far worse than not canceling our reservation for 2. It disrupts the others dinner as it gets out of sync with others.

RUDE is a strong word. We are always very courteous to others.

Edited by troykahack

First off not everyone using MTD has a reservation. They show up and wait for an available table. Meanwhile your table is sitting there empty because the staff has no idea that you're not going to show up.

I sure would like others to chime in here. I really don't think Royal expects one to cancel a reservation for MTD in MDR. A Speciality Restaurant is a bit different and we have cancelled reservations and chose to eat elsewhere.

Another thing, we don't show up late to MTD in MDR. To me, that is far worse than not canceling our reservation for 2. It disrupts the others dinner as it gets out of sync with others.

We always notify the wait staff or MTD Manager when we will not be there as scheduled. When we have scheduled a Specialty Restaurant it seems they already knew about that via their Dining Reservation System on their computer.

I believe that when you have a reservation it is common courtesy to cancel.

In that case, I would hope you'd see that a simple phone call or stopping by to cancel a reservation is definitely courteous. Telling others here that canceling is not recommended or necessary does not sound like you care about others and are trying to be courteous to them.

I think there is a confusion going on.

I think Troy has NOT mentioned having a reservation just MTD. No reservation means no table waiting means not inconveniencing anyone.

On the other hand, having a table RESERVED and not showing without informing the dining room means table waiting that is empty that could be better used by having someone sitting there. More appreciated by those working, and waiting to eat.

I think there is a confusion going on. I think Troy has NOT mentioned having a reservation just MTD. No reservation means no table waiting means not inconveniencing anyone.

He actually did - in post #9 he said this:

We have NEVER called or stopped by to cancel a MDR seating time....

This sure sounds like he had a reservation. If not, what would there be to cancel?

And all the posts he responded to mentioned having a reservation.

Edited by dcgrumpy