What do you want to know about Amber Cove?

Hi. Cruise Critic is heading out to Amber Cove (Tropical Storm Erika willing) on Monday, August 31 - Wednesday, September 2 to get a sneak peek at this all-new, purposely-developed private island-kind of destination.

As you may know, Amber Cove, in the Dominican Republic, will officially open to passengers with the October 6 visit by Carnival Victory. Other Carnival ships with Amber Cove on itineraries include Carnival Breeze, Carnival Glory, Carnival Splendor, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Pride, Carnival Valor and Carnival Fantasy. (Other Carnival Corp. lines will also be adding Amber Cove to itineraries, including Cunard, Holland America, Princess and P&O).

Our crazy-busy schedule has us checking out Amber Cove itself, visiting Ocean World, and sampling some of the tour options, such as the "panoramic" Puerto Plata tour, the Luperon Museum, Brugal Rum Factory tour and the Centro Historico. The most exciting? A chance to sample the Outback Dominican Adventure tour.

Other shore excursions planned for Amber Cove, by the way, include horseback riding on the beach, snorkeling, off-terrain tours, scuba, plantation tours and private bungalow rentals.

Our last day has more of a Fathom component -- we'll get more entrenched in the community from a voluntouristic angle.

Stay tuned for photos on the site, Internet permitting, and do leave your questions below. I'll do my best to get you answers!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

PS We'll also be updating our port profile of Amber Cove, which is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=8319

Since the project and regional improvements are running behind schedule (the road from the port into Puerto Plata as an example), how about some updated info on when Amber Cove will actually begin accepting ships.

Edited by lizardhowson

I have read that the ocean water on the Amber Cove side of DR is not the Caribbean blue and rather rough. Please give feedback on the condition of the beaches and ocean. Thanks!!

What you heard is exactly right. Amber Cove is on the Atlantic side of the DR and the water is grey and has waves appropriate for the Ocean, 2 to 3 ft in normal weather. The sand is coarse and ranges from a dark yellow to different shades of brown.

I spent a week in Puerto Plata and would never return, 2 star hotels fringe the beach there. Down the same shore a bit further is Cabrete which has some good local flavor. Going the other way is Ocean World, a SeaWorld like attraction which was partially open when I visited.

If you think Caribbean, think Punta Cana, because Amber Cove won't come close. La Romana even had better beaches than the Atlantic side.

But Carnival has built their shopping corral here, with probably the same chain stores and restaurants you would see in their other shopping enclosures. If you didn't look at your schedule, you might think you were in Roatan or Cozumel or Costa Maya. I hear the proposed port in Grand Bahama will be another shopping mall corral.

I would like to know how much English is spoken there. How prepared are the employees at the dock to understand and direct folk when they arrive? And how you feel about the safety of the area if folk want to wander off on their own. Also if there will be rental car facilities?

I too would love a waterfall tour, and I wanted to know about the beaches. It seems that the excursions posted for the beaches are quite far from port, would it be feasible to build a beach closer to the port? Like at the port area like Mahogany Bay?

Have a great and safe trip.

Edited by marshhawk

I would mostly look forward to photos of the Amber Cove area, but not restricted to it, as it will just be a docking area for the ships, and hopefully I will be able to do a tour within the region.

I am disheartened to hear some very negative opinions on the area, especially with respect to the color of the sand and ocean. I have not yet been to a place anywhere in this world where I did not find something positive to remember and to post on in reviews. I also am not a person who needs a "cookie cutter" perfect pastel colored experience when I go places. I just like to go and experience and see new places. they dont have to be Shangri la!. I have been to beaches that were sugar soft and white, some pink, and some brown, gold, and some black. I have loved them all. I actually enjoy learning why they are the color they are. I have been on beaches that were stictly round beach rocks, and loved them too. Again, I am not looking for for the same experience at every beach. Diversity is what makes life and travel interesting for me.

Since this is a new port for Carnival, I am not going with great expectations, just with the expectation of actually getting there, and finally getting to see a small part of the Dominican Republic.

Sorry for the long post....but please just come back with lots of photos,and info on whether it will be open on time, and any other info is greatly appreciated.

Edited by SMSACE6

I am interested in seeing pictures of the progress and swimming area (pool if they will have one). Hopefully it will be as awesome as Roatan. Please post pictures of the excursions too! We are having a hard time picking one but are sure it won't be an all inclusive resort. We are more interested in exploring a new area since we can hang out at a resort any time! I'm going into it with a very positive attitude. We always have fun when we are on vacation and don't "expect" certain conditions. We just hope for the best and pray for a safe experience. Thanks for asking what we want to hear!

Really unfamiliar with Amber Cove, so any information you bring back is appreciated! Wondering if it's similar to Grand Turk in the sense that you just get off the ship and shopping and beach are a short walk away.

Hola! I stumbled upon this forum because I work on social media and content writing for a few hotels here in Cabarete (town in the province of Puerto Plata where Amber Cove is located). I have been living here 4 years this coming October and I absolutely love it! We are all interested to see how this works out for our little beach town. It is sort of a big deal for the North Coast in terms of tourism. So big for our town that we got our first stop light put in this month!

I think if you come here you will either love it or hate it. It just depends on how you like to experience things when you travel. No, our beach is not bleach white and the water is not crystal clear blue all of the time (although it often is, just depends on the windspeed at the time). But we do have some very cool things to offer for adventure seekers. You can windsurf, kiteboard, surf, and SUP year round in warm water with world class conditions on 5 main beaches. That is almost unheard of in the world of watersports. Our facilities are close to the ocean you can walk to almost everything. When you do have to commute it's cheap and easy to find public transportation. It's easy to make friends. And yes, plenty of English is spoken here, although, of course, Spanish is the primary language.

My concern is that Carnival is billing the Cabarete excursion as a countryside landscape scenic thingy. But Cabarete has been coined the Adventure Sport Capital of the Caribbean for a reason. Sure it's scenic enough since we have beautiful mountains, plenty of open countryside, and lush baby jungles everywhere, but the people who love it here are into watersports. Not white sand and blue water, per say. You just won't have enough time to really experience the charm of Cabarete while you sit down for lunch. Now, if you had enough time to have a go at kitesurfing...that would be more fitting.

Anyhow, I would love to meet up with you at Eze Bar (which is where I think you will be having lunch, and my good friend owns it!!!) so we can chat about the town and maybe I can write an article on your experience for one of the hotel blogs. I don't plan on advertising the Instagram or Facebook pages for the hotel communities I manage in here, but I post genuine photos that I take mostly myself from all around the North Coast. With a little bit of hashtag research (#cabarete) you will find plenty of posts by me and I think you might know it's me when you see it now. But you can also follow me on my personal profile on IG @socialzealot

editor@cruisecritic PM me if you are interested in meeting up and chatting while you are here! Everyone else, hola from Cabarete!

Hi Social Zealot! How far away is Eze Bar from Amber Cove? I looked up pics and it looks like a fun place to hang out. Is there a charge for chairs or just a minimum purchase from the bar/restaurant? Is there a specialty of the kitchen? Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi Social Zealot! How far away is Eze Bar from Amber Cove? I looked up pics and it looks like a fun place to hang out. Is there a charge for chairs or just a minimum purchase from the bar/restaurant? Is there a specialty of the kitchen? Thanks for your help in advance!

It's about a 30-40 minute drive. If you bought a coffee you would be more than welcome to enjoy a chair. Coffee is usally $40-50 pesos. Right now the exchange rate is about 44.5/1. So a coffee is right in the range of a dollar.

The specialty is probably their home made pasta. It is owned by a hubby and wife team and he is a Italian, but I would say the menu has a nice mix of fresh food, specials, and staples like club sandwich. They also do theme parties every week or 2. It's a lot of fun! Always live music, too. Very hip.

You should look them up on Facebook and Instagram. Christina (the wife) updates it often.

I was just wandering what happened to the zipline excursion that Carnival had offered about a month ago. It has since disappeared. Would you recommend doing this privately, or has it disappeared because they feel it is not safe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Heck yes I would suggest it!!! Here is a vid of my last trip that is posted in one of my blogs! It is actually a certified zipline. The only certified one by US standards on the North Coast.

Edited by SocialZealot

This is awesome info, SocialZealot. Drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com....

And thanks for providing such clarity.

Carolyn

Hola! I stumbled upon this forum because I work on social media and content writing for a few hotels here in Cabarete (town in the province of Puerto Plata where Amber Cove is located). I have been living here 4 years this coming October and I absolutely love it! We are all interested to see how this works out for our little beach town. It is sort of a big deal for the North Coast in terms of tourism. So big for our town that we got our first stop light put in this month!

I think if you come here you will either love it or hate it. It just depends on how you like to experience things when you travel. No, our beach is not bleach white and the water is not crystal clear blue all of the time (although it often is, just depends on the windspeed at the time). But we do have some very cool things to offer for adventure seekers. You can windsurf, kiteboard, surf, and SUP year round in warm water with world class conditions on 5 main beaches. That is almost unheard of in the world of watersports. Our facilities are close to the ocean you can walk to almost everything. When you do have to commute it's cheap and easy to find public transportation. It's easy to make friends. And yes, plenty of English is spoken here, although, of course, Spanish is the primary language.

My concern is that Carnival is billing the Cabarete excursion as a countryside landscape scenic thingy. But Cabarete has been coined the Adventure Sport Capital of the Caribbean for a reason. Sure it's scenic enough since we have beautiful mountains, plenty of open countryside, and lush baby jungles everywhere, but the people who love it here are into watersports. Not white sand and blue water, per say. You just won't have enough time to really experience the charm of Cabarete while you sit down for lunch. Now, if you had enough time to have a go at kitesurfing...that would be more fitting.

Anyhow, I would love to meet up with you at Eze Bar (which is where I think you will be having lunch, and my good friend owns it!!!) so we can chat about the town and maybe I can write an article on your experience for one of the hotel blogs. I don't plan on advertising the Instagram or Facebook pages for the hotel communities I manage in here, but I post genuine photos that I take mostly myself from all around the North Coast. With a little bit of hashtag research (#cabarete) you will find plenty of posts by me and I think you might know it's me when you see it now. But you can also follow me on my personal profile on IG @socialzealot

editor@cruisecritic PM me if you are interested in meeting up and chatting while you are here! Everyone else, hola from Cabarete!

I would love to hear about any possible accessible ideas/excursions they have. I really want to do the tram ride. Not sure if I could stand that long. I do use a mobility scooter but could never stand that long or walk a great distance. Stairs is also not a option.