New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

My husband and I taking, basically, our first cruise in July. We have been on the Paul Gauguin, but I think that is a totally different experience. We will be sailing on the Koningsdam July 17 from Amsterdam. I would like some tips on the embarkation/disembarkation process. Is embarkation similar to check-in for a flight; you check-in, give them your luggage and wait in a holding area until your number is called? I don’t want to look like I have no clue what I am doing. What about disembarkation, same process in reverse? I know about placing your luggage in the hallway the night before and waiting in the morning for your color. Is there anything else I need to know? For people experienced with Amsterdam, are taxies readily available? My husband has mobility issues, so the train is not an option. We have a 1:30 PM flight out of Amsterdam that day. I’m thinking we will be ok time wise. Right now we have a transfer scheduled to the airport, that may be the easiest.

Thanks for any help, Francine

We typically use a car service in Amsterdam, so that's a good choice but there will be some cabs available. You've got the on-board and off-board processes down pretty well. No surprises, I don't think.

Thanks a bunch for your reassurance! Francine

What a great way to get a lot of information. We have cruised other lines, but never HAL. We will be doing a 24 day trip soon on Zuiderdam to the Baltics and British Isles and have a few questions we would love answered.

2. We are doing the anytime dining, but do we need to make a daily reservation with a specified time still?

3. Can we get a table just for the two of us at anytime dining?

Thanks so much for any response to these questions.

cruise fan 1

We like to eat early and prefer a table for two. On our first cruise which was on the Zuiderdam we found that we could usually get a table for two without having to wait but we went when the dining room opened each evening. On our next cruise we found that making a reservation was easy and then we didn't have to worry about getting to the dining room when it opened.

Utahtea

• 3 weeks later...

So, my partner and I are thinking about cruising the Med on the new Koningsdam. We really like Celebrity and the two newer Princess ships. We are two gay men, 52 and 51 years old. We have never smoked.

Do a high percentage of HAL guests smoke on their balconies? That would really tick my other half off.

Since HAL has Gala Nights, would sport coats or blazers without ties be okay? Or, like on Princess, could we eat in a specialty restaurant (not buffet) without dressing up? We both have tuxes, but it would be nice not to have to carry them all the way to Europe.

Our other option is to cruise on the new Viking Sea.

Thanks for the help!

We have only spent a total of 3 weeks cruising on HAL but we have not encountered any smokers as balcony neighbors or found it an issue on the ship. However, you're talking about a European cruise and I think you're more likely to find more smokers on such an itinerary. I sure agree that it's a pain to carry tux with you to Europe and back and it takes up so much luggage space with the dressy shoes and all. My husband gave up the tux idea some years ago. So, on Princess or HAL, he wears suit and tie. In fact, it prompted us to try more upscale lines which don't require formal wear - such as Oceania and Regent. We love the "dressy casual" or "country club casual" attire for the entire cruise. Those lines don't allow smoking on balconies either. I know I haven't given you the answer you want but perhaps I've offered a little food for thought. Don't know the Viking Sea but it sounds lovely!

Since HAL has Gala Nights, would sport coats or blazers without ties be okay? Or, like on Princess, could we eat in a specialty restaurant (not buffet) without dressing up?

Sports coats or blazers, with no tie more than meets the dress code for Gala night. The specialty restaurants Pinnacle and Tamarind follow the dress code; Canaletto code is closer to smart casual.

Hi All:

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in August on the Konigsdam. Part of the promotion offered by HAL was The Signature Beverage Package. I think this package excludes beverages priced over $7.00 and wines priced over $8.00.

Can these drinks be ordered at any bar or restaurant? Can you order them from Room Service? If you would like two glasses of wine with dinner must you order one at a time and just tell the waiter that you want one glass before and one glass with dinner? Are tips included with this beverage package? Also included was a free Pinnacle Grill Dinner. Can we select the day and time for this dinner or does HAL decide this?

One more question. What is the cost for internet/wi-fi use. We will be on a 14 day cruise and are looking forward to our HAL adventure in Scotland, Iceland and Norway!!

Thanking you all in advance!

Cambriah

We will be taking our first HAL cruise in August on the Konigsdam. Part of the promotion offered by HAL was The Signature Beverage Package. I think this package excludes beverages priced over $7.00 and wines priced over $8.00.

Can these drinks be ordered at any bar or restaurant? Can you order them from Room Service? If you would like two glasses of wine with dinner must you order one at a time and just tell the waiter that you want one glass before and one glass with dinner? Are tips included with this beverage package? Also included was a free Pinnacle Grill Dinner. Can we select the day and time for this dinner or does HAL decide this?

One more question. What is the cost for internet/wi-fi use. We will be on a 14 day cruise and are looking forward to our HAL adventure in Scotland, Iceland and Norway!!

The SBP includes drinks priced $8 and under. Generally you're supposed to order them 5 minutes apart, but you can work it out with the steward at the dining table.

The Pinnacle dinner will be scheduled for you. Check on this early, and if the time/day don't fit your schedule well, you can try to get it changed. If there are open reservation times, you can make a switch.

There are a variety of Internet packages, with prices ranging from $0.75 cents per minute down to $0.40 and below; there's also an "unlimited" package. Not all the packages are available on every ship.

Be aware that there are places, especially in Norway, where there is no Internet connection. The fjords are one such place, so don't count on using the Internet when you want to when in some areas.

I just finished reading all 61 pages to date on this forum and found the information very useful despite what seems like an extraordinary amount of concern regarding trays. :D.

First thank you to everyone for taking the time to contribute to this thread.

One quick question. We cruised HA about 10 years ago and one thing we really enjoyed on a sea day was a chocolate buffet. I didn't see any mention of it on this thread and wondering if they still do this?

The buffet was a big spread of everything chocolate and I think it started in mid-afternoon.

One quick question. We cruised HA about 10 years ago and one thing we really enjoyed on a sea day was a chocolate buffet. I didn't see any mention of it on this thread and wondering if they still do this?

Gone. :( :( :(

My husband and I taking, basically, our first cruise in July. We have been on the Paul Gauguin, but I think that is a totally different experience. We will be sailing on the Koningsdam July 17 from Amsterdam. I would like some tips on the embarkation/disembarkation process. Is embarkation similar to check-in for a flight; you check-in, give them your luggage and wait in a holding area until your number is called? I don’t want to look like I have no clue what I am doing. What about disembarkation, same process in reverse? I know about placing your luggage in the hallway the night before and waiting in the morning for your color. Is there anything else I need to know? For people experienced with Amsterdam, are taxies readily available? My husband has mobility issues, so the train is not an option. We have a 1:30 PM flight out of Amsterdam that day. I’m thinking we will be ok time wise. Right now we have a transfer scheduled to the airport, that may be the easiest.

Thanks for any help, Francine

I have never sailed into or out of Amsterdam, but it's probably pretty much the same as any other port: you'll hand over your luggage to a longshoreman on arrival. Make sure you've printed off and attached the paper which indicates your room number on all your bags (you need a stapler) before you hand them over. You should have some sort of bag with medication, valuables, anything that can't easily be replaced kept with you. Some people put a swim suit and/or change of clothes in the same bag for use until their luggage arrives, which could take a few hours. Your luggage will be delivered to your room well before first seating. Join the general queue (or, if in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, the suite queue) and work your way to the desk for check-in. Hand over your documents (already filled out as needed), passport, have your picture taken for your ID card, receive card, and wait to board. If you're in one of the aforementioned suites, you'll wait in another area where you will generally board very quickly. Approaching the bridge to board the ship you can have your picture taken by the ship's photographers, or walk past it as I usually do. Your card will be scanned just inside the ship and you're set.

I have never sailed into or out of Amsterdam, but it's probably pretty much the same as any other port: you'll hand over your luggage to a longshoreman on arrival. Make sure you've printed off and attached the paper which indicates your room number on all your bags (you need a stapler) before you hand them over. You should have some sort of bag with medication, valuables, anything that can't easily be replaced kept with you. Some people put a swim suit and/or change of clothes in the same bag for use until their luggage arrives, which could take a few hours. Your luggage will be delivered to your room well before first seating. Join the general queue (or, if in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, the suite queue) and work your way to the desk for check-in. Hand over your documents (already filled out as needed), passport, have your picture taken for your ID card, receive card, and wait to board. If you're in one of the aforementioned suites, you'll wait in another area where you will generally board very quickly. Approaching the bridge to board the ship you can have your picture taken by the ship's photographers, or walk past it as I usually do. Your card will be scanned just inside the ship and you're set.

Thank you for the embarkation information. It helps a lot! These boards have a wealth of information and everyone is so helpful. Thank you!

I was curious if any of you have an opinion about booking directly through Holland America or going through a web site like Expedia ?

Thanks

We have booked many HAL cruises with our PCC, a few with a Travel Agency, and others with a Large Warehouse Agency. To us it's who can offer the best deal with the associated perks. We love our PCC but they are strapped by what HAL offers and cannot match the SBC that others offer due to their markup. Others give some of their markup in SBC to get the sale.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCC? SBC? the only one I recognize is HAL (Holland America Line). lol (that means laugh out loud I think)

PCC = Personal Cruise Consultant (HAL TA's)

SBC = Ship board credit (or on board credit).

And some people use "SBC" for "Signature Beverage Card." Can get confusing.

I prefer "OBC" for "Onboard credit"

And even though we still refer to the "Signature Beverage Card", it's no longer a card - simply a notation on your on-board account!

(Of course, we still take about "dialing" a phone, also)

And some people use "SBC" for "Signature Beverage Card." Can get confusing.

I prefer "OBC" for "Onboard credit"

True but SBC and OBC are two totally different issues, still just more acronyms to remember!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

We are very excited about going on our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam in August. We will be celebrating on anniversary in a Neptune Suite and are really looking forward to it.

I have been doing a great deal of research on the HAL board for several months, looking at pictures of the ship, Main Dining Room, the Neptune Suites, and the Neptune Lounge, etc.

We have selected to do As You Wish dining, but I have a question about it. The pictures I’ve seen of the Lower Floor of the dining room, show the two tops are in areas with a very little room around them. We really don’t want to be seated at a table for two that is only a few inches away from another table.

In looking at the dining room pictures of the Upper Floor, I’ve noticed there are several two tops along a railing and few others in scattered around the room. They all appear to be less crowded than those on the Lower Floor.

Can the concierge in the Neptune Lounge arrange to reserve one of the two top tables on the upper floor for us if we switch to set time/Traditional Dining?

Thanks

Edited by JimAOk1945