New Year's on Nieuw Amsterdam

mplwd65

We were on that ship just last New Year's! They had a special dinner menu in the dining room--very nicely done with special menu and desserts. They had a band out on deck and had a great party--very lively--we had a great time on that ship. They were passing out champagne for quite a while! The party was for young and old!! My daughter and her boyfriend(ages 25 and 26) were with us and they also had a great time! This was our first HA cruise and we were quite impressed with Holland America--definitely will not be our last time on this cruise line!!

We're doing a New Years cruise on the Eurodam this year, looking forward to it. Our first cruise was a New Years cruise on the old Neiuw Amsterdam 27 years ago.

Allan

They had Formal Night in the dining room (now would probably still be Gala Night). Biggest party in the main show lounge, but also at a couple other venues as well. The Lido Buffet also had a special menu after midnight. Christmas decorations were up when we boarded, but on New Year's Eve some of these were replaced with New Year's theme in the party venues, then the decorations were phased out over the last couple days.

This most recent New Year's Eve found my traveling companion and me on the Prinsendam. HAL and the Prinsendam's staff did an excellent job in providing an evening to remember. (It was so enjoyable, we are booked the Nieuw Amsterdam for this year's New Year's Eve.)

Special dinner menu with New Year's decorations, i.e. tiaras for the ladies and hats for the gentlemen along with horns and balloons, excellent music before and after dinner, main party was held in the Showroom at Sea starting at 11:00 P. M. Balloon drop at Midnight, music, champagne (although the free stuff appeared only around Midnight and soon disappeared), dancing, and guests were very nicely dressed. We were sailing in the Atlantic Time Zone at the start of 2016.

The party then moved to the Ocean Bar: more excellent music and dancing with a big screen TV set up tuned to Times Square's festivities. When Midnight arrived in New York, we celebrated 2016's arrival again. It was the most fun I have had on New Year's Eve in many years. (Some of the off-duty crew/staff joined the guests during this late hour and that made it even more special.)

Reports from past New Year's cruisers, including in the thread, have indicated that there was a special Midnight buffet set-up. On the Prinsendam, there was a very small buffet at the entrance to the Showroom, but the food, whatever it was--I never saw what was available--was quickly consumed by those more interested in eating than in partying.

Nieuw Amsterdam, being a larger vessel with more deck space, I am expecting a repeat event equal to my experience on the Prinsendam and maybe even better.

Edited by rkacruiser