Northbound or Vancouver Roundtrip to Alaska

Hi everyone! I finally narrowed down which voyages I'm looking at doing for Alaska. Either the Northbound sailing on the Noordam or the Vancouver roundtrip cruise on the Volendam. I've never done a Vancouver roundtrip Alaska cruise before. Does anyone have a preference on which itinerary to do? Also, which ship-Noordam or Volendam? I normally sail Princess. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The northbound cruise leaves you in Seward, with a very long day. You disembark very, very early, then have a long ride into Anchorage. Check on the times for flights out---many leave during the night. On top of that, it's a longer flight to get home than a flight out of Vancouver would be. If you like the one-way route, consider getting that longer flight out of the way first, when the time zone changes are in your favor, and when you can rest & recover on the cruise south.

I am fond of the Volendam, and especially fond of her Alaska itinerary. She offers a shore excursion where you can take a catamaran from the ship at the mouth of Tracy Arm. Then, you tour Tracy Arm, standing a decent chance of getting near at least one of the glaciers, and seeing all this from a small boat perspective.

The Volendam also leaves on a Wednesday, so shares the ports with fewer other ships and passengers. You will also share the airport with fewer passengers at the end of the cruise.

You don't say where you're from, which might make a difference. We have found that by the time we pay for a flight from ANC to YVR it isn't that much more to stay on the ship for another week and sail back, assuming your schedule allows.

You will certainly see more going all the way north.

The northbound cruise leaves you in Seward, with a very long day. You disembark very, very early, then have a long ride into Anchorage. Check on the times for flights out---many leave during the night. On top of that, it's a longer flight to get home than a flight out of Vancouver would be. If you like the one-way route, consider getting that longer flight out of the way first, when the time zone changes are in your favor, and when you can rest & recover on the cruise south.

I am fond of the Volendam, and especially fond of her Alaska itinerary. She offers a shore excursion where you can take a catamaran from the ship at the mouth of Tracy Arm. Then, you tour Tracy Arm, standing a decent chance of getting near at least one of the glaciers, and seeing all this from a small boat perspective.

The Volendam also leaves on a Wednesday, so shares the ports with fewer other ships and passengers. You will also share the airport with fewer passengers at the end of the cruise.

Thanks Ruth!

I've been researching flights and transfers and prices and everything and have noticed that flights leave late from Anchorage. Though I have some friends who live there so I'd probably spend the day visiting them.

I do not have any interest in doing the southbound route since it stops at Haines and not Skagway. I'm looking at doing the cruise the week of June 12th (last minute). I already have a 10 day cruise on the Grand Princess to Alaska booked on June 30th which stops at Haines so I don't want to go there twice so soon since I've read it's a small port and not much to do.

I have done three Alaska cruises already but I have never done a Vancouver roundtrip itinerary before so I am interested in doing it. Just a bit hesitant taking the Volendam since it's a smaller ship and I'm worried there won't be much to do onboard. Though I know if I sail on it, I'll enjoy it and make the best of it!

You don't say where you're from, which might make a difference. We have found that by the time we pay for a flight from ANC to YVR it isn't that much more to stay on the ship for another week and sail back, assuming your schedule allows.

You will certainly see more going all the way north.

Thanks! I am slightly considering doing a back to back cruise though I'm doing an Alaska cruise a week and a half after I get back from the one I'm planning so I think it might be a bit overkill. I'm from Southern California so the prices aren't horrible. Especially Anchorage to LA is pretty reasonable.

I think the northbound Noordam gets you Glacier Bay, a priority destination. Does the Vancouver round trip get you Glacier Bay? If so, I would do the Vancouver round trip. If only the northbound to Seward does, take it. Glacier Bay is worth it.

I think the northbound Noordam gets you Glacier Bay, a priority destination. Does the Vancouver round trip get you Glacier Bay? If so, I would do the Vancouver round trip. If only the northbound to Seward does, take it. Glacier Bay is worth it.

The Vancouver roundtrip has both Glacier Bay and Tracey Arm. Northbound only does Glacier Bay.

The Vancouver roundtrip has both Glacier Bay and Tracey Arm. Northbound only does Glacier Bay.

Please note the Tracy Arm stop only connects with separate excursion catamaran for the

trip up the fjord.You will need to reserve that early on.

On getting to the Sawyer Glaciers I am currently batting about .200.

That said the Vancouver R/T is a special favorite of mine. Fly in a day early and stay at the PanPacific.. i just love the transfer from the hotel to the ship being a 5 minute elevator ride.

Please note the Tracy Arm stop only connects with separate excursion catamaran for the

trip up the fjord.You will need to reserve that early on.

On getting to the Sawyer Glaciers I am currently batting about .200.

That said the Vancouver R/T is a special favorite of mine. Fly in a day early and stay at the PanPacific.. i just love the transfer from the hotel to the ship being a 5 minute elevator ride.

I did notice on the Vancouver roundtrip itinerary, it shows Tracey Arm as a "service call" and was wondering what that meant. Does that mean the ship doesn't actually go all the way to the glacier?

I did notice on the Vancouver roundtrip itinerary, it shows Tracey Arm as a "service call" and was wondering what that meant. Does that mean the ship doesn't actually go all the way to the glacier?

Yes, that's what it means. The ship will only stop for those pax to disembark at the tender level to get onto the catamaran. A true scenic cruise, via the ship, of Tracy Arm will take about four or five hours.

If it shows as a "service call" then the ship doesn't do the transit to the glacier. They meet the catamaran, the usual excursion size boat, like tendering in a port w/o docks.

If there is too much ice in Tracy Arm they will substitute Endicott. Endicott has a glacier at the head like Tracy, but not quite as spectacular. Don't do what I did on my first trip.

When the ship made the turn at "the elbow", and saw Tracy was ice filled and announced Endicott, I went to my cabin for a nap.

(P.S. note the time for Tracy Arm is 10:00 to 10:30. )

Yes, that's what it means. The ship will only stop for those pax to disembark at the tender level to get onto the catamaran. A true scenic cruise, via the ship, of Tracy Arm will take about four or five hours.

Thanks for clarifying! I thought I'd be seeing Tracey Arm. I'll have to look into that excursion.

If it shows as a "service call" then the ship doesn't do the transit to the glacier. They meet the catamaran, the usual excursion size boat, like tendering in a port w/o docks.

If there is too much ice in Tracy Arm they will substitute Endicott. Endicott has a glacier at the head like Tracy, but not quite as spectacular. Don't do what I did on my first trip.

When the ship made the turn at "the elbow", and saw Tracy was ice filled and announced Endicott, I went to my cabin for a nap.

(P.S. note the time for Tracy Arm is 10:00 to 10:30. )

Oh my! I'm so sorry to hear that but at least you have a great story to tell! Lol. I'll make sure I'm well rested that morning incase they change glaciers on us!

I'll add....

• The Sawyer Glacier is 31 miles from the Tracy Arm entrance.
  • The small boat service call is done at the entrance to Tracy Arm.
  • The Maasdam traveled 17 miles in Tracy Arm before doing a U-turn to Endicott last week. I guess they went as far as they could in the May ice.

Edited by xlxo

Seward is a very scenic charming little town. We actually drove down from Denali and were so glad we did. We took a boat tour of Fox Island and saw tons of wildlife up close. The marina is beautiful and the fishing boats display their catches. There are restaurants right on the pier and a small marine museum as well. Just out of town is a small glacier that you can literally walk up to. Seward was one of our favorite spots in Alaska. You might want to consider disembarking and spending a day there. You can always train/bus back to Anchorage the following day. Besides, the farther north you go in Alaska the more spectacular the scenery becomes!