embarkation luggage question

mommyofone

Hi

We are going on our first cruise on westerdam to alaska.

Can we carry our carry on luggage with us when we board or do we have to check them i like on the airplanes?

What size bag can be used as carry on for the ship-is it same size as a carry on on the plane?

Do we lock our luggage when we check them in when boarding?

When we leave the room , do we carry our valuables with us all times or is it safe to leave them in the room?

Thanks

Hi

We are going on our first cruise on westerdam to alaska.

Can we carry our carry on luggage with us when we board or do we have to check them i like on the airplanes?

What size bag can be used as carry on for the ship-is it same size as a carry on on the plane?

Do we lock our luggage when we check them in when boarding?

When we leave the room , do we carry our valuables with us all times or is it safe to leave them in the room?

Thanks

Welcome to HAL and CC.

You will love the Westerdam.

Carry your small luggage with you through the Security checkpoint as long as it will fit in a standard airport-like scanner.

You checked luggage can or cannot be locked since it will never be opened by Security or HAL. It will just be x-rayed and delivered to your room unless you have prohibited items or alcohol which will cause it to be taken to the "naughty room" for you to pickup.

There will be a safe in your room but most leave valuables out except perhaps expensive jewelry.

Edited by Crew News

You may carry on suitcases at the start of the cruise. All such bags are fed through scanners that are similar to those used at airports for carry on bags. Thus, you are limited to items small enough to fit in the x-ray scanners.

Thus, anything small enough to count as a carry on bag for a USA based airline can be brought on the ship. There is no restriction on liquids in cruise ship carry ons, so toiletries, water bottles, etc. are OK (as long as you aren't violating the HAL alcohol policy).

HAL seems to allow carry ons bigger than what USA based airlines do, but I am not sure how much bigger.

HAL does equip all their cabins with safes, so you can lock valuables in there. I don't think that most laptops will fit in the in-cabin safe, however.

I can't think of any restriction on locking your checked bags turned in at the pier. Bags are normally x-rayed and may be checked by sniffer dogs. I suppose it is possible that something will trigger the shore agents to want to open your bag to check something odd or remove something (like bottles of alcohol). In such a case, I guess they would need to cut any lock.

We use the TSA locks, which are available from any travel store, on our suitcases. They can be unlocked by airline security with a special key if necessary. We use the same locks when boarding the ship and have never had an issue. While the locks would not stop a determined thief, they do prevent casual pilfering or a zipper pull being snagged and accidentally opening a bit. We also use luggage straps to hold the suitcases together in the event of zipper failure during rough handling.

All valuables remain in our carry ons and we place them in the cabin safe as soon as we board----passports, cash, jewellery, credit cards, camera, prescription meds, etc..

As far as iPads are concerned, on the Westerdam we just keep them out of sight. On the Eurodm and Nieuw Amsterdam, which have the larger capacity safes, we do lock them up. I guess what you lock away depends on your individual comfort level.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We also use the TSA locks.

HAL has a nice policy where you usually board the ship around 11:30. , And HAL tries to have all cabins ready by 11:30. That means that you can go directly to your cabin when you board the ship, put away your carry-ons, lock up valuables and then do whatever you want to do -- have lunch in either the Lido or main dining room (Noon - 1:30) or roam the ship, etc.

Your carry-on must fit thru the scanner. I use zip ties to secure my luggage zippers which works well as you only need a scissors and also luggage straps (which also helps to find the bags at the end of the cruise). When in the cabin, I put my documents, money, passport, wallet with credit cards, jewelry, phone, keys, etc. into the safe. Have never had an issue with my laptop, camera, Kindle, I-pod, chargers, extra meds being kept in a drawer in the cabin. Have a friend who stashes her electronics in her suitcase which is under the bed.

LIke most people, we too lock up our valuables in our safe.

Cell phones, jewellry, wallets, etc., are put in upon arrival.

Our carry ons just hold essential medications, safe contents camera equipment (DH's camera equipment is it's own carry on;) ), and wine (yes, we pay corkage;) ).

We put the stuff away as soon as we board and we are good to go :)

LIke most people, we too lock up our valuables in our safe.

Cell phones, jewellry, wallets, etc., are put in upon arrival.

Our carry ons just hold essential medications, safe contents camera equipment (DH's camera equipment is it's own carry on;) ), and wine (yes, we pay corkage;) ).

We put the stuff away as soon as we board and we are good to go :)

I neglected to mention cell phones when I made my post but we also do put them in the safe upon boarding.

We get into the habit of giving the safe door a little tug each time we leave the cabin just to make sure we have remembered to lock it.

I can't think of any restriction on locking your checked bags turned in at the pier. Bags are normally x-rayed and may be checked by sniffer dogs. I suppose it is possible that something will trigger the shore agents to want to open your bag to check something odd or remove something (like bottles of alcohol). In such a case, I guess they would need to cut any lock.

No, your locks won't be cut.

If there is something in your bag that needs inspection, your bag will be pulled aside. When you inquire about it, they will have you open it, inspect what needs it, and proceed based on what they find.

There are also lock drawers in the nightstands; sometimes the key is even there! These are larger than the safe, and can be used for such things that don't fit in the safe.

Even if the key is missing, putting something in a closed drawer is safer than having it out. If nothing else, your things won't go flying when the ship lurches.

It is good to put passports in the safe in case security has to retrieve it if you are in an emergency ashore or miss the ship. Security will try to get your essentials to the port agent. We now try to keep essential meds in the safe where they could easily be found by security. m--

No, your locks won't be cut.

If there is something in your bag that needs inspection, your bag will be pulled aside. When you inquire about it, they will have you open it, inspect what needs it, and proceed based on what they find.

There are also lock drawers in the nightstands; sometimes the key is even there! These are larger than the safe, and can be used for such things that don't fit in the safe.

Even if the key is missing, putting something in a closed drawer is safer than having it out. If nothing else, your things won't go flying when the ship lurches.

I think we're 3 for 4 on the key being in the nightstand lock.

I don't leave valuables or breakables out on the desk. Not so much because of possible theft, but a steward might knock my camera (or whatever) off the desk while cleaning.