HAL Tiles

ger_77

What a great idea! We are just about to start building a house and I toyed with the idea of a border in the bathroom, but I think my husband would like this one better. (he really looked at me strangely when I suggested using them in a border....)

I like it and have made similar things. My plan is to use a wet saw and cut down the tiles to smaller slivers for an abstract effect. Nice work!

I use something like this to seal it under a clear epoxy (like a bar top)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Parks-1-qt-Gloss-Super-Glaze-Finish-and-Preservative-241352/202056337

I like the tray idea. Looks really nice! I was thinking small table (saw that done on the HAL blog a while back), but the tray might be more practical. Of course I need more tiles. Picked up a couple off of ebay (was looking to get a specific one for my mother), but of course would rather cruise my way to a stack of tiles. :D

Thanks for your comments - I thought I'd share the pic with folks who knew what Mariner tiles were! LOL

I'd thought of using the tiles for a back-splash in the kitchen or a powder room, but if we ever move, I'd have to leave them behind. A table was considered, but it was a pretty big project, so when I saw the tray, a light bulb went off in my head. It doesn't matter where we go, due to it's size, this can always move with us.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

[

so when I saw the tray, a light bulb went off in my head.

[/font][/size]

I say more like that the bulb went ON in your head!

Another good idea.... make a table, make as many as you want. Mount onto a solid base and then make surround with legs on purpose wrought iron. Perfect out on the deck for the pool. If you need more tiles... put a plain white border around. If you are desperate for tiles... try EBAY. Cheaper than cruising!

Again, a very attractive tray.

Stephen

I say more like that the bulb went ON in your head!

Another good idea.... make a table, make as many as you want. Mount onto a solid base and then make surround with legs on purpose wrought iron. Perfect out on the deck for the pool. If you need more tiles... put a plain white border around. If you are desperate for tiles... try EBAY. Cheaper than cruising!

Again, a very attractive tray.

Stephen

Yes, you are absolutely correct, a light bulb did go ON, not off. I thought of making a table top, but wanted something I could use in the house as well as on the deck and patio, so a tray was a better choice for me. For my next tray, I'll see what kind of tiles my family has - if they have any of the thinner tiles, I'll offer to trade, or maybe just take them when they're not looking. LOL

I'm happy to be able to display as well as view your art on a daily basis now that I have finished this little project. Thank you for your talent!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

just different drawings of the same ships. They need to reserect some old posters that would be more interesting. I have several stacks of them and they just stay in a cabinet in the kitchen.

'Same old drawings.. same ships'? They are new images and now in the second series. Not used before. I have at least 110 images can be used and not in the same ship either. Enough to last for a... lifetime.:(

There are a limit of old posters. Not all that many were used over those years. If they resurrect the same old posters again doesn't that just what you don't want? If you have several stack... you best time is to make that big table or head to EBAY.

If you have any new ideas.... please tell us. I'm sure HAL will take a look at the ideas. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Stephen

'Same old drawings.. same ships'?

There are a limit of old posters. Not all that many were used over those years. If they resurrect the same old posters again doesn't that just what you don't want?

I didn't care for a lot of the posters that were used for tiles from 2007 to 2011. I much prefer your ship renditions, and my second choice would be the Dutch scenes used from 1995 to 1997. :) :)

• 2 months later...

We've been on one HAL cruise and the end of September will be our second. Tell me about the Tiles please! Do you buy them in the gift shop? Or as you gain more stars in the Mariner club do you "get" them as a thank you "souvenir"? Being only One star sailors... Do we have a ways to go before we get the tiles? :confused:

PS LOVE the tray idea by the OP. Looks super handy and a fun way to display them and share in the memories with those you "serve". Beautiful job!

Thank you,

Sherri

Edited by SherriM

We've been on one HAL cruise and the end of September will be our second. Tell me about the Tiles please! Do you buy them in the gift shop? Or as you gain more stars in the Mariner club do you "get" them as a thank you "souvenir"? Being only One star sailors... Do we have a ways to go before we get the tiles? :confused:

PS LOVE the tray idea by the OP. Looks super handy and a fun way to display them and share in the memories with those you "serve". Beautiful job!

Thank you,

Sherri

The tiles are given to each Mariner of every star status at the Mariner's Luncheon usually served on the last sea day of each cruise. You usually pick them up on the way out of the MDR.

Expect to receive an invitation to the Mariner's Brunch in your stateroom mailbox near the end of the cruise.

Here is the Mariner's Society Luncheon menu for Alaska:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Mariner-Society-Lunch-Alaska.pdf

Edited by Crew News

The tiles are given to each Mariner of every star status at the Mariner's Brunch usually served on the last sea day of each cruise. You usually pick them up on the way out of the MDR.

Expect to receive an invitation to the Mariner's Brunch in your stateroom mailbox near the end of the cruise.

Cool! Thank you! I can always count on CrewNews for a quick answer! =)

After years not knowing what to do with our tiles, yesterday I purchased a 75 cent wooden tray at a garage sale, sprayed it blue, and glued some of our Mariner tiles inside. I had difficulty because so many are the same, and some tiles are thinner than others, so trying to get a variety was tough. The thin tiles will have to wait for another tray.

DH looked at it and said "Along with our HAL jewelry (pins, medallions), that's the most expensive sandwich tray I've seen." :rolleyes:

Here's what the finished product looks like; not perfect, but perfect for me.

ry%3D400

Gerry it's beautiful! What a great idea..I too would want something that is portable so we can take with us if we move..

After years not knowing what to do with our tiles, yesterday I purchased a 75 cent wooden tray at a garage sale, sprayed it blue, and glued some of our Mariner tiles inside. I had difficulty because so many are the same, and some tiles are thinner than others, so trying to get a variety was tough. The thin tiles will have to wait for another tray.

DH looked at it and said "Along with our HAL jewelry (pins, medallions), that's the most expensive sandwich tray I've seen." :rolleyes:

Here's

I have a kitchen window above the sink that faces NORTH -so I neither need/want a curtain but I glued in about a dozen tiles along the top of the window for the color! [blue!] and people always" Oh & Ah " when they see those beautiful HAL tiles!!!!!!

You don't have to go to the luncheon to get the tiles (we don't care for the menu so we don't go anymore) ... we just go to Guest Services, tell them we can't make the luncheon ... they check to be sure we're entitled, sometimes they give us the tiles right there and other times they have been delivered to our stateroom ...

What a kick - thanks for suggesting taking a look at ebay:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xholland+america+tiles.TRS0&_nkw=holland+america+tiles&_sacat=0

Interesting to see what they go for -- and how much it costs to ship them: Let's figure US$10 per tile for my 16 tile table top. So that would cost $160 on ebay, instead of $64,000 (ave $4000 per cruise) actually spent -per person.

Yikes have we spent that much ....and more.:eek: It was soooo easy to do. And I got a cute table top. And "free" laundry. I guess that makes it the most expensive piece of furniture in the house. Thanks for the memories, HAL. All of them. You gave me the world, and that is priceless.

Edited by OlsSalt

You don't have to go to the luncheon to get the tiles (we don't care for the menu so we don't go anymore) ... we just go to Guest Services, tell them we can't make the luncheon ... they check to be sure we're entitled, sometimes they give us the tiles right there and other times they have been delivered to our stateroom ...

Thanks so much for posting that....I am not a fan of that type of thing. Usually I forget all about it. I like the tiles so I will do that in September for our sailing on the Oosterdam. So good to know.

What a kick - thanks for suggesting taking a look at ebay:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xholland+america+tiles.TRS0&_nkw=holland+america+tiles&_sacat=0

Interesting to see what they go for -- and how much it costs to ship them: Let's figure US$10 per tile for my 16 tile table top. So that would cost $160 on ebay, instead of $64,000 (ave $4000 per cruise) actually spent -per person.

Yikes have we spent that much ....and more.:eek: It was soooo easy to do. And I got a cute table top. And "free" laundry. I guess that makes it the most expensive piece of furniture in the house. Thanks for the memories, HAL. All of them. You gave me the world, and that is priceless.

Thrift stores by me usually ahve them for 25 cents to $1 per tile. Sometimes they'll sell a bundle for buck or two. I live near a cruise port.