Suites: Separate Dining Room

JohnDG

I do not understand why HAL has cut the number of suites (SA, SB, SC, SQ) on the Koningsdam. I count 45 on the Kdam. 62 on the N. Amsterdam and 56 on the Westerdam.

Maybe HAL is going in a different direction. Possibly the numbers don't add up for this. If you look at the huge number of cabins in the V-category, that looks like where the profit is.

I am not surprised that HAL has reduced the number of Neptune Suites on the Kdam. I had previously noted on this board ( back in 2014) that on a price yield per square foot, Neptune Suites tend to yield a lower price than any other category of cabin. This is without adding in the costs of the extra amenities and the lost revenue of the Neptune Lounge. Ocean View and Verandah cabins tend to produce the highest yields.

I am not surprised that HAL has reduced the number of Neptune Suites on the Kdam. I had previously noted on this board ( back in 2014) that on a price yield per square foot, Neptune Suites tend to yield a lower price than any other category of cabin. This is without adding in the costs of the extra amenities and the lost revenue of the Neptune Lounge. Ocean View and Verandah cabins tend to produce the highest yields.

Absolutely. HAL knows the historical numbers for how many Suites they can sell on any given cruise (flat rate, discounts and upsells) and seems to be saying they have had too many suites on the older ships. Lower supply makes for higher prices, too.

It makes perfect sense to concentrate on the lower balcony categories, not suites and this is what they are doing on the new ship.

You are likely right about pricing being pretty profitable for many cruises, but of the number of cabins on these ships the Suites count for so few, so overall the suites are certainly not floating the ships.

I do not understand why HAL has cut the number of suites (SA, SB, SC, SQ) on the Koningsdam. I count 45 on the Kdam. 62 on the N. Amsterdam and 56 on the Westerdam.

Not only suites but the SS, SY and SZ categories are down on the Koningsdam: 14, with 112 on the N. Amsterdam and 98 on the Westerdam.

The new A, B categories on the Koningsdam certainly make up some of the slack, but they start at 260 square feet, whereas the Vista appear to start at 372.

It seems that until builds the monster ships, it can't compete with the other lines that do have monster ships with the extra room for suites, suite DRs, suite lounges, suite pools.

Maybe HAL is going in a different direction. Possibly the numbers don't add up for this. If you look at the huge number of cabins in the V-category, that looks like where the profit is.

I booked an SA on the Koningsdam almost a year ago - they have been sold out since last fall, long before the ship was launched. There have been an occasional wrap around available, but it's been awhile. The only Neptune Suites available now are the oddball Spa Suites on the Panorama Deck that are now going for $7k/person for a 10 day itinerary.

I don't need much space, but I appreciate the perks that come with the suite and am willing to pay for them - but I don't cruise often. There are plenty of dining options available on the K - I wouldn't pay any more for a separate dining room and it probably wouldn't be economical for the few suites on that ship.

I just looked at the info for the the new "Club Class" for mini suites and suites on Princess.

Sure looks like CCL is working toward pushing suite business toward Princess. Perhaps HAL will end up being the landing spot for the Carnival crowd as they age out of the "fun ship" mentality and just want lots of bars and restaurants but no water slides and disco music in the hallways.

If the powers-that-be were smart, they'd set HAL aside as a brand separate from the progression of passengers upward from Carnival. The more logical pattern for that is perhaps Carnival to Princess, which has more activities than HAL, although not necessarily of the water slide variety. ;)

HAL could be the line whose defining characteristic is its long, unusual itineraries. As I get closer to retirement age, when I could actually take a vacation longer than a couple of weeks, I am starting to think about longer cruises in my future. So few lines offer interesting longer itineraries. At best, most can give you two different, shorter back-to-back itineraries before starting the first one over again...

Unfortunately, with larger ships one has to come up with itineraries where 1) the docking facilities are adequate and 2) there is enough 'draw' to attract the folks that fill all the cabins.

On those lines who have implemented suites dining, the dress code has been relaxed. Evidently, those who pay more for their cabins don't want to dress for dinner.

I have noticed that in the on-line information of for some of the lines that have recently introduced a suite restaurant.

That is definitely not the case on Cunard, which is the favourite target of those people who object to a "class system" on ships. The standards of dress are higher in the Princess and Queen's Grills than in the main (Britannia) dining room. Having travelled in all "classes" my observations are that tuxedos are worn by 50% to 80% of men in the Britannia and usually 95% in the Grills. Contrary to what some people seem to think, no-one will look down their nose at a man in a suit because that meets the minimum dress code.

I have noticed that in the on-line information of for some of the lines that have recently introduced a suite restaurant.

That is definitely not the case on Cunard, which is the favourite target of those people who object to a "class system" on ships. The standards of dress are higher in the Princess and Queen's Grills than in the main (Britannia) dining room. Having travelled in all "classes" my observations are that tuxedos are worn by 50% to 80% of men in the Britannia and usually 95% in the Grills. Contrary to what some people seem to think, no-one will look down their nose at a man in a suit because that meets the minimum dress code.

Point well taken. I should have been more clear that I was referring to what i consider the principal competitors to Holland, ie, Royal, Princess, Celebrity. I just do not consider Cunard in that light.

To me, Cunard has a niche where one can recreate an experience akin to the golden age of passenger ships. That niche does include some aspects of 'class' but that doesn't bother me. That niche does not appeal to me because of the dress code.