Upcoming Prinsendam Drydock

HappyMe_

Anyone know details of what is to be done? Thanks!

Besides the usual maintenance, bedding, carpets etc. the main focus will be the lido, which will be changed into a marketplace, there will be a new pizza oven etc.

I'll take a stab. Instead of more of a cafeteria line type serving for most items, there are now individual stations where you get specific items of a more international mix. A salad station, an asian bowls section, prepared sandwiches, etc.

The Prinsendam Lido service was a cramped, crowded and painfully slow delivery system. For the type of ship it is, this was a decided drawback. Hopefully with more specific choices upfront, you no longer have to stand behind those who reasonably are picking and choosing and looking at everything before they make their decision.

The decision process is now more upfront so only those for example wanting "asian bowls" will be in that line. However, this means one might need to make several trips to various stations to get their full package and need to decide up front instead of on the spot as you move down the line.

I hope others can explain this better because it has been almost three years since we have been on the Prinsendam.

Thank you OlsSalt. Your explanation seems reasonable to me. It was brought to my attention, that one has to go up and down stairs carrying your food. Not a big deal, but curious with updates to Lido, if this will be changed (I realize this is older ship and perhaps not an option).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you OlsSalt. Your explanation seems reasonable to me. It was brought to my attention, that one has to go up and down stairs carrying your food. Not a big deal, but curious with updates to Lido, if this will be changed (I realize this is older ship and perhaps not an option).

Not sure where the up and down stairs comes from. That would be true if you exit the Lido and go back to your room. There is seating within the Lido, no stairs.

The open deck forward near the Lido buffet on the Prinsendam was enclosed a few years ago which provides more seating and also is now protected from the cold and wind - called the Sun Garden if I recall.

That new enclosed deck area is a few steps down, and also the location of the Canaletto in the evenings. However, there are still tables on the Lido buffet level so you don't have to take those few steps down if you can find an empty table. Yes, it is an awkward few steps if you are carrying food but there are a lot of quirky aspects to the Prinsendam.

She had basically good lines and is a solid ship but maybe has not adapted well to more modern cruising demands with the addition of less than classical features like spas and buffets. There is another large open deck in front of the main dining room that was under the upper deck which appeared under-used and uninviting that looked like wasted space too.

We had a very nice Neptune suite on the very top deck next to the again relatively unused and remotely accessible Crows Nest, where we spent most of our onboard ship time so we did not really get around the rest of the ship that much. We rarely used the Prinsendsam buffet after our first laborious experience.

My reports are fuzzy and hopefully others can chime in with better recollections. One thing I won't ever forget were the absolutely delightful breakfasts in the Pinnacle dining room on the Prinsendam for the Neptune suite guests - the best setting ever. Then we snacked out of the Neptune Lounge for mid-day onboard for the most part.

Plus it was a very port intensive cruise (Med - Black Sea) so we did not have much use for the Lido buffet on that cruise.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thank you all for comments. I have good idea now re Lido Buffet.

I am sure we will be very happy with her. The size and more simple details is what attracted us to book. Alas, no Neptune Suite in our future, but it sounds wonderful.

Thank you all for comments. I have good idea now re Lido Buffet.

I am sure we will be very happy with her. The size and more simple details is what attracted us to book. Alas, no Neptune Suite in our future, but it sounds wonderful.

We cruise primarily for ports and itineraries and you can't beat the Prinsendam for both. As long as we get fed and bed, any ship in the storm is good enough for us. A small ship getting into the the closer ports is worth the extra costs for us.

We cruise primarily for ports and itineraries and you can't beat the Prinsendam for both. As long as we get fed and bed, any ship in the storm is good enough for us. A small ship getting into the the closer ports is worth the extra costs for us.

Absolutely agree!

Maybe those who will be on the Prinsendam shortly after the dry dock is complete can take some pictures of the "Lido" area modifications for those of us who will be on her later in the summer!

My DW and I will be on the Prinsendam for 14 days in July and are looking forward to it!

It was brought to my attention, that one has to go up and down stairs carrying your food. Not a big deal, but curious with updates to Lido, if this will be changed (I realize this is older ship and perhaps not an option).

I haven't been on the Prinsendam since the area aft of the buffet (not forward, as OlsSalt posted) was enclosed, but even then there was a ramp down to that outer area on port side; starboard did have 2-3 steps down.

I can't imagine that ramped area was removed, as it was the handicap accessible route.

I sailed on Prinsendam on her Holiday cruise of 2015. Great cruise, enjoyed the opportunity to sail on a former Royal Viking Line ship (see my signature), but she is "quirky" in my opinion. Walking forward on Lower Promenade Deck in the Atrium area, I felt like I was walking "downhill", "uphill" going aft. On one side of the same deck, walking out onto the open deck, starboard side aft, in front of the dining room, there were steps that needed to be negotiated (a small ramp was also there). But, on the port side of that same deck, using the exterior doors to the outside deck near the Atrium, no steps. We had a Signature Suite: why is there a mirror mounted on the side wall where the bath tub is?

As to the Lido: lots of wasted space, I thought, on both sides of the Lido Restaurant. The offerings were NOT the same on each side. One side had items that the other side did not have. The glass enclosed area called The Wintergarden aft of the main Lido Restaurant is a delightful area, but another "quirk": one side had a ramp, the other side had steps.

As I understand the Lido Marketplace concept, one will still need to "inspect" both sides on whatever ship it is established just to see what is offered. In the past, there has been a menu posted for the Lido Restaurant near its entrance. That may help deciding what "stations" to visit.

I hope there is no change to the small dining room between the Ocean Bar and the large dining room. From the time she was the Royal Viking Sun, I thought when I saw her deck plan that one would feel like a "second class passenger", cut off from the rest of the guests. We were seated there on our cruise and were absolutely delighted! We enjoyed a quiet dining experience and we almost felt that we were "exclusive".

Maybe those who will be on the Prinsendam shortly after the dry dock is complete can take some pictures of the "Lido" area modifications for those of us who will be on her later in the summer!

My DW and I will be on the Prinsendam for 14 days in July and are looking forward to it!

We are on her on May 17th, right out of dry dock, I will try and post some pictures.

I actually like the enclosed aft section of the Lido. It also makes for the best layout for Canaletto of any HAL ship we have been on.

I still don't remember any steps going in there but am sure they are only a couple at most.

We are on her on May 17th, right out of dry dock, I will try and post some pictures.

I actually like the enclosed aft section of the Lido. It also makes for the best layout for Canaletto of any HAL ship we have been on.

I still don't remember any steps going in there but am sure they are only a couple at most.

There were steps on the aft starboard side going into The Wintergarden. A ramp was on the aft port side. My question to myself was: why are there steps at all?

There were steps on the aft starboard side going into The Wintergarden. A ramp was on the aft port side. My question to myself was: why are there steps at all?

I always figured the ramp on port side was a conversion from steps, to make the lower level, and the (former) outside, handicap accessible. Remember, the ship pre-dates those kinds of accommodations.

I also loved that there were electric eye doors to the outside.

Kirk, that would be great if you can post pictures after drydock. Another question, is it likely there will be another drydock in 2017? This routine thing or only as needed? Our cruise is May 20, 2017.

Kirk, that would be great if you can post pictures after drydock. Another question, is it likely there will be another drydock in 2017? This routine thing or only as needed? Our cruise is May 20, 2017.

Normally, drydocks are every 2 1/2 to 3 years. I would not expect one in 2017.

I suspect the steps/ramp there were to allow the aft area to be below the lido when it was open and prevent water from entering the lido.

Roy

Normally, drydocks are every 2 1/2 to 3 years. I would not expect one in 2017.

I suspect the steps/ramp there were to allow the aft area to be below the lido when it was open and prevent water from entering the lido.

Roy

Thank you Roy!

[sNIP] Another question, is it likely there will be another drydock in 2017? This routine thing or only as needed? Our cruise is May 20, 2017.

If I recall correctly, "chengkp75" answered a similar question about the frequency of dry docks. I believe he said that they are required by US regulations every 5 years. Roy may be right about the general frequency that HAL uses for dry docks, especially with "The Elegant Explorer" as she is the oldest ship in the fleet at nearly 29 years.

If I recall correctly, "chengkp75" answered a similar question about the frequency of dry docks. I believe he said that they are required by US regulations every 5 years. Roy may be right about the general frequency that HAL uses for dry docks, especially with "The Elegant Explorer" as she is the oldest ship in the fleet at nearly 29 years.

Thanks. Yes, a good age for sure. Makes her all the more special.

First off, let me say that there are no "US" regulations with regards to drydockings of foreign flag ships. That is a SOLAS and IMO requirement, and more specifically based on the classification society's requirements.

Class society inspection "cycles" are in 5 year periods. The requirement for all ships is to have the underwater portion of the ship inspected (drydocked) "twice in 5 years". When a ship is less than 15 years old, one of these inspections may be replaced by an "Underwater Inspection In Lieu of Drydocking" (UWILD) conducted by divers in the presence (video) of the class surveyor. After 15 years of age, this is no longer an option, so ships of Prinsendam's age will be drydocked "twice in 5 years" (to differentiate from 2.5 years, since there is some wiggle room in scheduling). HAL has always opted for drydockings instead of UWILD's so their ships go to dock "about" every 2.5 years.

I hope there is no change to the small dining room between the Ocean Bar and the large dining room. From the time she was the Royal Viking Sun, I thought when I saw her deck plan that one would feel like a "second class passenger", cut off from the rest of the guests. We were seated there on our cruise and were absolutely delighted! We enjoyed a quiet dining experience and we almost felt that we were "exclusive".
IMO that forward section is much nicer because the main room is very noisy due to the low, hard ceiling.

As for the Lido, I liked the outside terrace in the aft, is there still a place to eat outdoors?
No ... but the windows in the now-enclosed area open, so if weather permits it can be "semi outside-like".