I love my cocktails...

bsg_19

So here's a often asked question but somewhat specific to my concerns...With our upcoming Oct Europe Oosterdam 24 day cruise, which is really a BTB 12 dayer, are you able to get a SBC for one or the other cruise itineraries? This cruise is so port intensified that I wonder if a SBC card is worth it! We love our happy hour and late evening cocktails so question #2 would be where/when are the HH drink specials on this ship because I'm thinking I'm just better off paying as I go for 24days! with the HH pricing helping me out...anybody's thoughts?

Edited by bsg_19

So here's a often asked question but somewhat specific to my concerns...With our upcoming Oct Europe Oosterdam 24 day cruise, which is really a BTB 12 dayer, are you able to get a SBC for one or the other cruise itineraries? This cruise is so port intensified that I wonder if a SBC card is worth it! We love our happy hour and late evening cocktails so question #2 would be where/when are the HH drink specials on this ship because I'm thinking I'm just better off paying as I go for 24days! with the HH pricing helping me out...anybody's thoughts?

HH's are usually the Crows Nest early and late and Ocean Bar early only. The SBC cannot be used at HH. When we had the SBC on the "O" they allowed us doubles in our drinks and counted them as two drinks.

For 24 days it may be worth it!

With cost of $44.95pp Per day I think 7-8 drinks and it pays for itself. Of course at HH two drinks of $8 each costs $9, there's your deal but single shots. We enjoy a bourbon or two on the rocks in the evening.

You'll love the "O", enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct that the Signature Beverage Package cards can not be used during Happy Hour.

I kept track on one cruise of how many drinks we each had each day. Since each person in the same cabin over the age of 21 must buy the package, we figured that we don't drink enough each day to warrant buying the package.

If the enjoyment you derive from having a beverage package and not adding up the cost of individual drinks in the head every day is worth it, then go for it! if you are going to feel as if you need to get your " money's worth" by adding up your drinks to equal your daily cost then it may cause you more trouble than pleasure.

What I'm trying to get across is that it may be worth it to pay for the beverage package for the fun/treat factor even if you don't drink enough to add up to the cost.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

The SBC cannot be used at HH.

That is correct that the Signature Beverage Package cards can not be used during Happy Hour.

I just want to clarify. Yes, you CAN use the SBC during happy hour. Meaning you can use it to get a cocktail during this time. You just don't get any additional benefit because it's happy hour.

I kept track on one cruise of how many drinks we each had each day. Since each person in the same cabin over the age of 21 must buy the package, we figured that we don't drink enough each day to warrant buying the package.

The package can be used during the Happy Hour period if you are not doing Happy Hour. My husband and I only want one drink and our choices are not the same so we are allowed to use our Explore 4 package. At least we were on the Verndam last June and the NA last month.

The package can be used during the Happy Hour period if you are not doing Happy Hour. My husband and I only want one drink and our choices are not the same so we are allowed to use our Explore 4 package. At least we were on the Verndam last June and the NA last month.

True but you do not get the benefit of buy one drink and get the next for $1. You just use up your daily SBP drinks.

HH's are usually the Crows Nest early and late and Ocean Bar early only. The SBC cannot be used at HH. When we had the SBC on the "O" they allowed us doubles in our drinks and counted them as two drinks.

With cost of $44.95pp Per day I think 7-8 drinks and it pays for itself. Of course at HH two drinks of $8 each costs $9, there's your deal but single shots. We enjoy a bourbon or two on the rocks in the evening.

We've had the SBP twice, once with Explore-4 and once when we purchased it. One of our cruises was a B2B and the other a Collector's Cruise, both around 30 days. In both cruises, we had a single booking number for the entire cruise. So, in the case of the purchased SBP, we were required to buy the package for the whole cruise. I would assume that if you had 2 separate booking numbers, you may be able to buy the SBP for one of the two legs. Check with Ship's Services.

We have found that with the cost of drinks being around $7.50 and beers around $6.50, plus specialty morning coffees, wines with dinner, a few drinks after dinner, and a bottle of water for bedtime in the room, we easily exceeded the 6 or 7 drinks per day, and that is the break-even point. Anything over that, and you are saving money with the SBP. We usually book cruises with many sea-days, so naturally, the drink count will go up. We also found that we could order doubles in all bars with no problems. The bartenders don't seem to pay any attention to that 5 minutes between drinks rule. And with the SBP, you can order during HH, you just can't take advantage of the $1 second drink. But, with the SBP and 15 drinks per day, who cares ?? We usually avoid the bars with HH, going to quieter locations pre-dinner. The HH bars are usually jammed.

Bottom line, if all you drink are a few glasses of wine at dinner, and maybe a specialty coffee, tea or hot chocolate in the morning, then the SBP would not be worth the price. Go over one of your past cruises, and price out your daily beverages of all types, from early morning to bed time. If you approach or exceed 7 drinks (unless they are all water or cokes) then the SBP is for you. And you won't have the panic when you see your final bill and wonder how you could have drank that much !!

Edited by TAD2005

We've had the SBP twice, once with Explore-4 and once when we purchased it. One of our cruises was a B2B and the other a Collector's Cruise, both around 30 days. In both cruises, we had a single booking number for the entire cruise. So, in the case of the purchased SBP, we were required to buy the package for the whole cruise. I would assume that if you had 2 separate booking numbers, you may be able to buy the SBP for one of the two legs. Check with Ship's Services.

We have found that with the cost of drinks being around $7.50 and beers around $6.50, plus specialty morning coffees, wines with dinner, a few drinks after dinner, and a bottle of water for bedtime in the room, we easily exceeded the 6 or 7 drinks per day, and that is the break-even point. Anything over that, and you are saving money with the SBP. We usually book cruises with many sea-days, so naturally, the drink count will go up. We also found that we could order doubles in all bars with no problems. The bartenders don't seem to pay any attention to that 5 minutes between drinks rule. And with the SBP, you can order during HH, you just can't take advantage of the $1 second drink. But, with the SBP and 15 drinks per day, who cares ?? We usually avoid the bars with HH, going to quieter locations pre-dinner. The HH bars are usually jammed.

Bottom line, if all you drink are a few glasses of wine at dinner, and maybe a specialty coffee, tea or hot chocolate in the morning, then the SBP would not be worth the price. Go over one of your past cruises, and price out your daily beverages of all types, from early morning to bed time. If you approach or exceed 7 drinks (unless they are all water or cokes) then the SBP is for you. And you won't have the panic when you see your final bill and wonder how you could have drank that much !!

True but you do not get the benefit of buy one drink and get the next for $1. You just use up your daily SBP drinks.

There is no benefit to getting a second drink if we only want one drink before dinner.

There is no benefit to getting a second drink if we only want one drink before dinner.

That's true but HH is all about more than one that's why they call it HH!

Thanks for your thoughts. I was hoping to get a sense of others opinions on this! We did not get the explore4 option for this cruise so my major dilemma for 24 days will be the cost of alcohol! I just can't wrap my head around the $2500 up front cost for 2 SBP! On our most recent past cruises we enjoyed the Celebrity drink packages which have been included in the cruise deals so I don't really have a feel for the daily consumptions to compare...but I'm sure I exceeded the 7 beverage break even point!!

This cruise only has 4 sea days out of 24 so my consumption level will mostly be limited to the evenings when it's fun to socialize with other like minded boozers! So I guess it's HH visits, bring our 2 bottles of wine and get a bottle of Vodka on Embarkation day! Since this is a B2B cruise and we have to get off the ship for the second leg of the cruise, will we be able to bring 2 more bottles of wine on board?

We'd probably not get in 6-7 drinks a day - especially if there were 20 out of 24 port days. We'd be off the ship most of the day and after a few touring days in a row probably in relaxing on our bed earlier than normal.

What is a good alternative for us is that bottled liquor on HAL is very reasonable compared to the cost of individual drinks. We order a bottle or 2 for the cabin.

Vodkas ranged from $31 to $37 for a liter.

Crown Royal $48.75 for a liter.

We also get the deal at HH then hang onto the glasses for drinks we might pour in the cabin. We've never had a problem taking one of those drinks anywhere on the ship.

We'd probably not get in 6-7 drinks a day - especially if there were 20 out of 24 port days. We'd be off the ship most of the day and after a few touring days in a row probably in relaxing on our bed earlier than normal.

What is a good alternative for us is that bottled liquor on HAL is very reasonable compared to the cost of individual drinks. We order a bottle or 2 for the cabin.

Vodkas ranged from $31 to $37 for a liter.

Crown Royal $48.75 for a liter.

We also get the deal at HH then hang onto the glasses for drinks we might pour in the cabin. We've never had a problem taking one of those drinks anywhere on the ship.

We think along the same lines!

If the enjoyment you derive from having a beverage package and not adding up the cost of individual drinks in the head every day is worth it, then go for it! if you are going to feel as if you need to get your " money's worth" by adding up your drinks to equal your daily cost then it may cause you more trouble than pleasure.

What I'm trying to get across is that it may be worth it to pay for the beverage package for the fun/treat factor even if you don't drink enough to add up to the cost.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

Well said! My solution to the dilemma, particularly because it would never be worth my spouse having to buy the SBP worked well for me. I purchased pre-paid declining balance beverage cards to pay for my drinks. I could monitor my spending, but didn't have pages and pages of drink charges on my bill or lots of little receipts floating around to track.

Eloise

That's true but HH is all about more than one that's why they call it HH!

No argument there. 😀 My original point I was trying to make was that one could sit through happy hour and not participate, while at the same time being able to use their drink package card.

We just have them double the liquor. That makes it one drink, albeit a little stronger. Obviously, this does not work well if you drink beer or wine, but with regular cocktails, it only adds 1.5 ounces/44 ml/1 jigger.

Whenever we we have had the Signature Beverage Package, we avoid the Happy Hour bars. It seems a little easier to go to a less crowded venue since there's no financial benefit to happy hour with the SBP.

The last time we sailed HAL there was HH from 9-10pm in the Ocean Bar. The first night the (soon to be our favorite) waiter pointed it out. Since DH drinks Crown on the rocks while I drink scotch on the rocks we would go by to see him after dinner and each order a double for the price of a single because of the HH. If we were into some other entertainment we'd just take our drinks with us.

We're not cheap :D but we're not big drinkers either so this was great for us. In the late afternoon we'd make a Crown on the rocks with the bottle we'd ordered for the cabin and we always have a wine package for dinners. It works for us. :D

Whenever we we have had the Signature Beverage Package, we avoid the Happy Hour bars. It seems a little easier to go to a less crowded venue since there's no financial benefit to happy hour with the SBP.

We just seem to be sitting quietly reading in the Crow's Nest and all of a sudden the noise level rises and it gets crowded. We don't need a watch to tell us happy hour is upon us.:eek: Sometimes we stay and order a drink and other times we move to a quieter spot.