New to Eurodam questions ?

nimiq

Hello all,

I have just book a Med cruise on the Eurodam and havent been on Hal since 2012 and have a few questions.

First has anyone been on the ship since her last drydoc ?

How is the Canaletto restaurant for $10.00 ? I look at the deck plans and not sure but is it a sections in the buffet area or it has its on place ?

Tamarind restaurant same thing how was the food ?

Can you have cappuccinos in the MDR for free after dinner or thats is thing of the past ?

If you have to pay for specialty coffee do they have a coffee card like Princess does ?

Overall tell me what are the not to be missed things on this ship ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sea ya

Eric

Ship was fine after refitting. Canaletto was well worth $10 pp. Tamarind is the best restaurant on the ship. Their filet and shrimp tempura appetizer are great.

You will pay for specialty coffee in the dining room but you can buy a coffee card.

You have to pay for specialty coffees in the MDR. HAL stopped the coffee cards a long time ago and they were only good for the Explorations Café.

We do not care for the Canaletto -- it is part of the Lido. A small section of the seating area in the Lido is used for the Canaletto.

Tamarind -- we love the food there. Well worth the $20 per person charge.

We also love the Pinnacle Grill -- $29 per person.

If you to do a special dinner -- there is Chef Rudi's dinner -- limited to 18 people -- $69 per person.

As has been mentioned, the Canaletto is a part of the Lido buffet during the day and at night it is sectioned off. I have not eaten there yet but know many friends that go every cruise.

Take a look at these pictures: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/eurodam-405/canaletto-107390/

Tamarind is an excellent Pan Asian restaurant and well worth it. The Silk Den is a bar and lounge next to Tamarind that is beautiful and never crowded.

Silk Den pictures: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/eurodam-405/silk-den-107438/

If you have to pay for specialty coffee do they have a coffee card like Princess does ?

No "coffee card" as such, but a general Beverage card for $50 can be used for coffee as well as other beverages.

The Tamarind!

... Edited by catl331

Tamarind is excellent. Don't miss BB King band, we went nightly. Caneletto is in the Lido, sectioned off. Went on Eurodam & NA, very slow and food ok. Not worth it for us.

Hello,

what do you mean by NA ? What was very slow and not worth it ?

Thanks

Eric

As has been mentioned, the Canaletto is a part of the Lido buffet during the day and at night it is sectioned off. I have not eaten there yet but know many friends that go every cruise.

Take a look at these pictures: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/eurodam-405/canaletto-107390/

Tamarind is an excellent Pan Asian restaurant and well worth it. The Silk Den is a bar and lounge next to Tamarind that is beautiful and never crowded.

Silk Den pictures: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/eurodam-405/silk-den-107438/

WOW the pictures help lots :-)

The Tamarind does look amazing :-)

Thanks

Eric

Sorry, that's the Nieuw Amsterdam, we want to Tamerind and Canaletto on both. Very, very slow service in Canaletto and food just ok when it finally came. But Tamerind was fantastic on both ships. Service was equal to most fine dining restaurants and do try the Wasabi Crusted Sirloin. Pinnacle was also excellent.

Sorry, that's the Nieuw Amsterdam, we want to Tamerind and Canaletto on both. Very, very slow service in Canaletto and food just ok when it finally came. But Tamerind was fantastic on both ships. Service was equal to most fine dining restaurants and do try the Wasabi Crusted Sirloin. Pinnacle was also excellent.

Oh stupid me should of figured it our NA lol lol

Thanks

sea ya

Eric

We are cruising on Eurodam in Sept. We just got off Rotterdam and found the specialty coffees a good price at ?Explorers cafe, compared to other cruise lines. Get a takeaway as the medium takeaway is the same size as a large crockery cup. And the free nibblies are nice too.

Have had Canaletto three times and was never impressed. I thought Tamarind was pretty good (great service on Eurodam); my sister didn't care for it but my nephew loved it. We all agreed that we'd gladly have dinner only in the Pinnacle on a future cruise.

My mom and I sailed on the Eurodam in April. We enjoyed the food at both the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarand. I would only return to the Tamarand if I was starving. We received too much food at Tamarand. We ended up with a five-course meal. We were "told" to order 5 courses (soup, two appetizers per person, a main course, and desert) by our server. I write "told" because the server stated that we each "needed" to order these things. I wanted to simply order the soup and then decide if we wanted an appetizer. She stated that it didn't worth that way. I told her that I wanted only one appetizer and she said that we are paying for two, so you should order two. Yes, I guess I could have made a big scene or left food on the table, but I hating wasting food, and why should I make a scene at a fine restaurant?

We had stellar service at the Pinnacle Grill. The server asked what we did for work and if we were enjoying the ports. My mom loved the lamb chops. I ordered the salmon. The salmon was just OK. It was warm - not hot - and did not seem as fresh as the salmon we ate on the Alaskan cruise.

I am sailing the Eurodam next March with a group, wondering how the food is in the MDR? My last experience on HAL was the NA the food was awesome, hoping the Eurodam follows in the NA's foot steps in that department.

We have done Canaletto on E and NA and had issues both times (slow service and poorly cooked food). We won't be going back there.

Tamarind is great. The service and food are both worth an additional cost. We went to Tamarind twice on our last NA sailing. Disappointed though that they no longer do the lunch in Tamarind.

As I recall, we did Canaletto sailing out of Stockholm and as others have mentioned, nothing to get excited about although I must say the scenery was awesome. If you have to have Italian, it'll work but don't expect atmosphere. That said, Tamarind was fantastic - we ate there on Eurodam both times we sailed on her and would do so again on any ship with that restaurant. The service and food were both great.

I am sailing the Eurodam next March with a group, wondering how the food is in the MDR? My last experience on HAL was the NA the food was awesome, hoping the Eurodam follows in the NA's foot steps in that department.

Doone, I know it's been a while since you've cruised on HAL, so sorry to tell you, but the food at dinner in the dining room has gone downhill across the board.

If you find it to be true on your cruise, don't blame the ship; it's a universal.

Now, I've never missed a meal, or starved, on any of my cruises, but the selections, and quality of the food, just are not what they used to be.

Hello all,

I have just book a Med cruise on the Eurodam and havent been on Hal since 2012 and have a few questions.

First has anyone been on the ship since her last drydoc ?

How is the Canaletto restaurant for $10.00 ? I look at the deck plans and not sure but is it a sections in the buffet area or it has its on place ?

Tamarind restaurant same thing how was the food ?

Can you have cappuccinos in the MDR for free after dinner or thats is thing of the past ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sea ya

Eric

We will be on the Eurodam for the first time in April 2017. We have sailed her sister ship, Nieuw Amsterdam (essentially identical to Eurodam pre-dry dock), and liked it very much.

I am more of a fan of the Canaletto than some of the other posters. For $10, I thought it was well worth it. We had good service both times we went and some of the small plates and pastas were excellent. We were not overly keen on the lasagna (an off menu item) or the pork loin but everything else seemed fine. It is not as special as the Pinnacle or Tamarind, but it was a nice quiet break from Anytime Dining in the MDR.

We thought the Tamarind was outstanding and will happily go back often - it helps that we love Asian food! Pinnacle was OK but I think the steaks can be hit or miss. My rib steak was pretty gristly but my wife's filet was great.

If you like burgers, hot dogs, and fries I think you will like the Dive-In by the Lido pool. Ask for the onion strings as a side item (if you like onion rings)! The pizza is also worth trying; thin crust with interesting topping choices.

The Silk Den on NA is a great little out-of-the-way bar (next to Tamarind) that we enjoyed for quiet night-caps.

The little sandwiches and deserts in the Explorer Cafe make a nice snack or light lunch.

Enjoy your cruise and remember to report back on your experiences.....

This is our opinion.

Tamarind

Excellent. Wonderful Asian food, but as some have mentioned, its a lot with the 5 course meal. Be sure to come hungry.

Canaletto

We first experienced it on 2010 when it was free. Since then the menu has changed significantly and now costs $10.00 when we were back on the Eurodam in 2013. We did not try it then, because nothing on the menu really appealed to us. So it really depends on what you taste in Italian is.

Pinnacle Grill

Generally always good, but on our last cruise (Zaandam 2015), they no longer had my wife's favorite (Lobster Ravioli).

Thanks a million RuthC, that's what I was so afraid of. I am still fortunate to be able to cruise and will have a great time with the group I am sailing with......no matter what!!

Canaletto is free for lunch? I need to reserve it?

Canaletto doesn't serve lunch; only dinner. Canaletto is an area of the Lido, somewhat sectioned off and with a different décor. But still part of the Lido at lunchtime.