Soda Drink Card Question

Joannedisfan

I read that there is a non-alcoholic beverage card and a soda fountain card. I presume the difference is that the second limits you to soda fountains. Where are the fountains located on the Volendam? Which card is the better deal?

the Beverage card can be used for any type of non alcoholic beverage, soda, specialty coffees (or those sold at the café) juices etc. It can also be used for cans of soda. The Soda card can be used only for fountain drinks. It is a better value, because you get $50 worth of fountain drinks for $25, where as the non alcoholic beverage card is dollar for dollar.

Can I get fountain soda's at any location that has drinks or is it limited to certain locations?

Can I buy 1 card and then buy a second later if we need it? I'd rather not spend money on 2 cards if we only used 1.

You can use your soda card anywhere on the ship that has bar service. Love the convenience and the fact you pay $25 for $50 worth of soda. Only place it does not work is for the Happy Hour specials - you just use the card as usual.

If you need a 2nd card, you can buy it from any bar steward. Only advantages to pre-buying a card is that it will have your name on it and it will be in your cabin when you board.

Also, if you do not use all of your soda card, up to the 1st remaining $25 (what you actually paid) will be credited to your account on disembarkation. Once had something like $0.23 credited.

Have a great cruise!

We buy the soda card for each of DD and DS. With their names on the cards it was easy. But DD doesn't drink soda anymore so it was refunded on our last cruise (20 days). I preorder the non alcoholic card and use it for smoothies and mocktails.

We had a LOT of problems with ours. We ore booked 2. They weren't in our cabin. After 2 trips on day one and 2 on day 2 we finally got them. No name on them. Then one wouldn't work. Then other wouldn't work and bar staff went to the desk to get it activated? But then when I checked my statement I was charged another $25. IT was a real pain.

One lady I spoke to said it took 3 days to get hers. Poor form. Hopefully this is not common. It was on Rotterdam.

We had a LOT of problems with ours. We ore booked 2. They weren't in our cabin. After 2 trips on day one and 2 on day 2 we finally got them. No name on them. Then one wouldn't work. Then other wouldn't work and bar staff went to the desk to get it activated? But then when I checked my statement I was charged another $25. IT was a real pain.

One lady I spoke to said it took 3 days to get hers. Poor form. Hopefully this is not common. It was on Rotterdam.

We have never had an issue with pre-purchasing drink cards of any type. But more experienced cruisers told me early on to always print out and bring the hard copy of the receipt for the purchases made before boarding. If you have that you should have no issues getting what you paid for.

Good morning,

I have a couple of quick questions. How much does a soda cost on board? I know they are small but I also wondered if I could have the staff fill my thermal cup? Do you think it would be the usual charge?

Thanks in advance

Boys Nana

The card is the same price whether you pre-purchase it or buy it on the ship -- $25 for $50 worth of soda -- about 6 ounces.

No they will not fill your thermal cup. They will give you have glass of soda and ice. If you have a wide mouth thermal cup -- then you can pour it yourself.

Good morning,

I have a couple of quick questions. How much does a soda cost on board? I know they are small but I also wondered if I could have the staff fill my thermal cup? Do you think it would be the usual charge?

Thanks in advance

Boys Nana

The soda glass is 1.50 + 15% and the can is 1.95 + 15% unless I missed an increase as with the soda card I just glance at the balance. If you ask nicely, sometimes they will fill your thermal mug for the usual fee if it is not huge - but not always.

I also have never had an issue with a soda card, either pre-purchased or bought on board. Except for the 1 time it was inactivated by proximity to a magnet. Also always bring the acknowledgement email for anything pre-purchased.

You can find the soda card listed under My Account - My Reservations - View my Itinerary on the HAL website which is where you can also find your pre-purchased dinners and excursions.

Sorry, no free 'bubbles' on HAL but coffee, tea (hot and cold), many different juices in the morning are available for no charge.

Edited by take us away

• 3 weeks later...
Another quick question. I have a $100 OBC. I was thinking of using it to get each of us a $25 soda card. If we each have some left over at the end, do we get any back or is it use it or lose it?
You get back any unused up to the $25 cost - if you use $25.01 or more you get back nothing. Edited by jtl513