Are there self serve laundromats on Holland America Ships?

2Canucks

I'm thinking of booking a 40 Day cruise on Holland America.

There are some things I like to wash myself. Are there self serve laundromats on the Noordam?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat :)

There are clotheslines in the bathrooms in the shower or tub depending on your room type. I do a lot of hand washing.

The older ships have launderettes: Maasdam, Veendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam, Volendam.

There are some things I like to wash myself. Are there self serve laundromats on the Noordam?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat :)

Sorry No.. The Vista class ships do not have Laundromats.. They do have Laundromats on the Prinsendam & the R & S class ships..

But HAL has great laundries & on the for $30 they will do everything you can cram into one bag..Even when we were on the Prinsendam, I sent out my clothes & they came beautifully washed & Pressed.. I did not send out my formal clothes though..Took enough of them so that I was able to wear some twice before they needed cleaning or washing.. I prefer to do those myself..

I believe HAL doesn't use their newest 7 ships for cruises of that length, so whatever ship you are considering should have a self laundry. I say should, because there have been rumors of laundries being removed from some, and it could happen before you sail.

... great laundries & on the for $30 ...
Or less.

Edited by jtl513

I believe HAL doesn't use their newest 7 ships for cruises of that length, so whatever ship you are considering should have a self laundry. I say should, because there have been rumors of laundries being removed from some, and it could happen before you sail.

[/size]

Somehow HAL still managed to have us on the NA for 42 straight days this past fall. At the time she was the newest ship in the fleet. There were a fair number of us on for 42-days --- or longer. A laundry room would have been much appreciated. My idea of a nice vacation doesn't involve doing hand laundry every few days in the bathroom sink. My idea of nice decor doesn't include wet laundry hanging around the cabin. We did send out some laundry, but we've had too many things ruined by the "great" HAL laundry to risk everything. :( We knew we'd have to 'make do' when we booked that ship. But I can't see us doing so again. My idea of a nice vacation doesn't involve 'making do'.

Nope.:(

No idea why they left them off.:confused:

I would suspect it's a combination of wanting to sell the laundry services and maintenance of the laundromat facilities.

That maintenance can be physical maintenance or monitoring the users. I have actually heard fights in the laundromat rooms because one passenger (or a representative for a group) was using all the machines at once.

Either way, I do some laundry in my sink and send out some laundry. I've never had any serious issues, though last cruise I sent a bag of laundry and my parents send a bag of laundry from the cabin next door (714 & 712) and I got back a couple of my Dad's shirts with my laundry while one of a pair of my socks and one of a pair of my husband's socks ended up in my parents' basket.

HAL washes everything in hot water and dries on hot heat.

So be careful what you send out.

I do a lot of hand washing like others.

One of a few reasons Mrs Gut refuses to send anything out.

I would suspect it's a combination of wanting to sell the laundry services and maintenance of the laundromat facilities.

And getting more revenue from the space by making it a passenger cabin.

The "washes everything in hot water and dries on high heat" rumor was put to bed by cruisers who went on the laundry tour and asked how they did things...not hot/high. We've never had anything ruined (yet). I've even begun sending out my cotton sweaters ...ok so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And you can write in any special instructions on the form that goes with the laundry. Worked for us--we specified cold water wash and low heat dry. But we didn't send anything we were too attached too :)

ML

The "washes everything in hot water and dries on high heat" rumor was put to bed by cruisers who went on the laundry tour and asked how they did things...not hot/high. We've never had anything ruined (yet). I've even begun sending out my cotton sweaters ...ok so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I never put my clothes in the dryer at home. I sent pants to the laundry and asked to have them done in cold water and on low heat. The pants did shrink (and not just for the cruise :D). I do send some of my laundry out but the more delicate gets done in cabin.