Noordam or Zaandam to Alaska

Hi everyone! I'm looking at doing a cruise to Alaska next month, (yes, I know last minute. lol). I'm looking at either doing either a Northbound (Vancouver to Seward) or Southbound (Seward to Vancouver) voyage. The ship choices or either the Noordam (Southbound) or the Zaandam (Northbound). Does anyone have any prefaces of a ship and why? Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check how long you are in the ports. Also decide which ports you prefer to see.

That is how we decide on cruises -- itinerary.

I prefer the Noordam over the Zaandam -- newer ship.

BUT -- looking at the itineraries -- I prefer the Zaandam's itinerary. We have been to Haines a couple of times -- it's not high on our list of ports to see.

Check how long you are in the ports. Also decide which ports you prefer to see.

That is how we decide on cruises -- itinerary.

I prefer the Noordam over the Zaandam -- newer ship.

BUT -- looking at the itineraries -- I prefer the Zaandam's itinerary. We have been to Haines a couple of times -- it's not high on our list of ports to see.

Thank you! The funny thing is that I'm booked on a cruise on the Grand Princess for June 30th that stops at Haines. The Zaandam itinerary sounds better but I'm a bit nervous about the ship being small and not much to do. This would be my fifth Alaska cruise.

I was just on the Zaandam, with ten sea days. I had as much to do or as little to do as I wanted. It's a great ship. I think it will depend on what you think you want to do. If you want to look for wildlife from the ship, for example, then the size of the ship won't matter. Another thing, a smaller ship is easier to get around. (I also like the Noordam, too.)

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I was just on the Zaandam, with ten sea days. I had as much to do or as little to do as I wanted. It's a great ship. I think it will depend on what you think you want to do. If you want to look for wildlife from the ship, for example, then the size of the ship won't matter. Another thing, a smaller ship is easier to get around. (I also like the Noordam, too.)

Thank you for the info! Makes me feel a bit better! We'll definitely want to relax and participate in some of the activities. It will be my fourth cruise to Alaska and my friend's first one so I'm sure he'll be wanting to look at the scenery most of time-which i'm fine with! Lol

Spot on!!! Zaandam is one of my favorite HAL ships (mainly because of its smaller size and "loud" decor) while Noordam is my least favorite Vista class HAL ship (because its decor is on the bland end of the scale). JMO

Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Spot on!!! Zaandam is one of my favorite HAL ships (mainly because of its smaller size and "loud" decor) while Noordam is my least favorite Vista class HAL ship (because its decor is on the bland end of the scale). JMO

Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much! It's a last minute trip so I know whichever ship I end up on, I'll have a great time!

Hi everyone! I'm looking at doing a cruise to Alaska next month, (yes, I know last minute. lol). I'm looking at either doing either a Northbound (Vancouver to Seward) or Southbound (Seward to Vancouver) voyage. The ship choices or either the Noordam (Southbound) or the Zaandam (Northbound). Does anyone have any prefaces of a ship and why? Thanks for your help!!

You might want to consider the fact that Seward is 126 miles from the Anchorage airport.

Very long bus ride ( beautiful scenery ) and that many flights leave late at night ( in my case the ONLY non-stop to PHX departs and 1:25 AM ). Makes for a long day.

I'm thinking about taking a few days it explore around Seward if I were to do the one-way cruise again.

You might want to consider the fact that Seward is 126 miles from the Anchorage airport.

Very long bus ride ( beautiful scenery ) and that many flights leave late at night ( in my case the ONLY non-stop to PHX departs and 1:25 AM ). Makes for a long day.

I'm thinking about taking a few days it explore around Seward if I were to do the one-way cruise again.

Do you remember how long the bus ride from Seward to the Anchorage Airport is? I would love to be able to explore the town of Seward!

Do you remember how long the bus ride from Seward to the Anchorage Airport is? I would love to be able to explore the town of Seward!

Personally I don't recall, with a late flight it wasn't important. A bus line website quotes 2.5 hours which seems about right.