Important documents in ports?

serotta4

What do you take into each port with you? We are cruising in the Caribbean next month with Royal Caribbean and are first timers.

Do you need to take passports or copies of passports in? Credit cards - do they even work?

If you are doing a water excursion, can someone suggest a waterproof option for these things that works well or do you chance leaving them in a locker onshore? Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

US citizens do not need passports on any US based RCI closed loop cruise, which would include the Caribbean. At initial embarkation you will need a valid photo ID and a birth certificate -or- a passport, but if you use a passport you will not need it at any port of call. Photocopies of your passport are fine to take into port with you, but generally a passport would only be needed if in an emergency you needed to fly back to the US from a port of call to facilitate re entry to the US. But the ship staff and port agent would assist you as will with this.

Credit cards will be valid at every port of call as well as US dollars. On board, no cash is used as all on board purchases are charged to your room key, which serves as a credit card and ship ID as well. You will need this - and frequently a picture ID - to disembark and reboard the ship in your ports of call. Your daily Cruise Compass, which is your information guide that is left in your stateroom each night for the next day, will confirm this each day with information about disembarkation and reboarding times. This will also list the port agent for each port of call as referenced

Enjoy your first cruise! It likely will not be your last.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just to add to the above post, we find it is best to have small US$ bills in ports. Often, the seller will try to give you change in the local currency.

Good point, Paul. And in our experience if don't want local currency, if you ask the local merchant prior to the purchase that you want your change in US dollars they will accommodate you.

What do you take into each port with you? .....

If you are doing a water excursion, can someone suggest a waterproof option for these things that works well or do you chance leaving them in a locker onshore? Thank you!!

Drivers license and credit card every port.

As for waterproof bags, check this out.

Make sure you have your ship ID and an ID with your pictures, ie; driver's license.

Some cruise ports will require both when you get back to the ship.

Make sure you have a watch cell phones are not always reliable, especially with time changes.

Jonathan

What do you take into each port with you? We are cruising in the Caribbean next month with Royal Caribbean and are first timers.

Do you need to take passports or copies of passports in? Credit cards - do they even work?

Last time I looked at a map, Cuba was in the Caribbean. No one is going to Cuba without a passport.

Also, while RCI may not require a passport for particular itineraries, OP should know that many cruise lines require all passengers on all itineraries to provide a passport at embarkation.

First you need to follow the requirements for the port and the cruise line.

Some cruise lines require that you take an official form of ID with you at some or all ports such as a drivers license.

Some ports even require a passport.

So whatever is required I would follow that.

If none are required what I bring with me varies by where we are sailing.

Specifically, if I have concerns about pickpocketing (eg., Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Mumbai, Lima, etc, etc. etc. etc.) I bring one credit card only, some cash, my shipboard card and if it includes my name and photo in those situations I do not bring a drivers license.

In other ports where I feel like this is far less of an issue if I don't think we will be purchasing much of anything I will bring one credit card and money as well but if it is a port where we might purchase more items I'll bring another credit card (2), additional cash and an ATM card.

Some ports I'll bring that drivers license and others I won't.

I do bring the phone number and other contact information for the port agent.

I do bring my cell phone.

Keith

Good point, Paul. And in our experience if don't want local currency, if you ask the local merchant prior to the purchase that you want your change in US dollars they will accommodate you.

I've found otherwise, Leaveitall.

Perhaps OK with proprietor-run businesses eg taxis & small bars, but cash registers at shops which deal mainly with locals are usually geared to accept USD but ring up how much change is due in local shrapnel - the shop assistant has no choice in the matter.

Hence the value in having three $1 bills to buy a $3 ice-cream.

If you have only a $20 bill you will be given $17-worth of souvenir money.

Or I guess you could over-dose on ice-creams.:D

JB :)

Just to add to the above post, we find it is best to have small US$ bills in ports. Often, the seller will try to give you change in the local currency.

Also it's hard to haggle on prices of souvenirs if all you have are $20s. :)

An announcement will be made prior to getting off the ship as to what type of identification you are required to have in port. Most times you will need your sign and sail card and a photo ID. I've been in ports in the caribbean where we were also required to have our passport or birth certificate(for those cruising without a passport). While in the water I place my items in my beach bag near the water and kept an eye on things(Never ventured that far out in the ocean). Amazon has several waterproof options for small wallets/pouches as well. I would not take my CC of the ship a small amount of cash is ideal no need to worry about the card being stolen or about card scammers.