Snorkeling in Grand Cayman

bigiron

Looking for the best place to snorkel in Grand Cayman. Will have kids ages 11, and 15. Go out on our own or book an excursion. Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you've not been to Grand Cayman before Stingray City is kind of a must do thing particularly with kids. it is a sandbar out in the ocean where the stingrays gather. It is pretty shallow, maybe waist deep and you can hold, pet and feed the stingrays as well as snorkel. Kids will remember that forever. You have to book it either through the ship or private tour since it is kind of a long boat ride out and back.

For just snorkeling, Eden Rock is about three blocks from the docks and is an easy walk. Doesn't cost anything to snorkel but there is a dive shop there that rents equipment ($14 for mask, fins, vest) and lockers for $5 if you want to stash your stuff.

You have to climb down a ladder to get into the water. Devil's Groto reef is a little farther out and is a little better to see fish etc. Lots of the snorkeling excursions bring their groups to Devil's Groto by boat. The Eden Rock reef is maybe 50 yards off shore, the Groto is maybe another 50 past that and 100 yards longer.

With an 11 and 15 yr old, I would book an excursion. Lots to choose from, but make sure you do a stop at Stingray city. Kids will love it. We did an excursion that was called "Stingrays, Turtles and Heck" or something like that. :D Fantastic fun. Got to hold turtles at the turtle farm, then pet and feed the stingrays.

• 2 months later...

We rented a car and drove to Smith Cove (Baricade). The only draw back is that aside from having a bathroom there, there is nothing else. No beach chairs, food, or place to rent equipment. I have my own equipment and we found some super cheap (but awesome) airwedge inflatable beach chairs that worked great and took up very little space in our luggage. We were the only ones on the beach for the first 45 minutes or so. Saw tons of fish and big schools of fish. Best snorkeling I have done and the beach is beautiful. Don't know if you could rent some equipment on the ship or not.

We rented a car and drove to Smith Cove (Baricade). The only draw back is that aside from having a bathroom there, there is nothing else. No beach chairs, food, or place to rent equipment. I have my own equipment and we found some super cheap (but awesome) airwedge inflatable beach chairs that worked great and took up very little space in our luggage. We were the only ones on the beach for the first 45 minutes or so. Saw tons of fish and big schools of fish. Best snorkeling I have done and the beach is beautiful. Don't know if you could rent some equipment on the ship or not.

Smith Cove is good, but I think the area just north of public beach, straight out from the cemetery, is a little better. Public beach has food concessions. Much further from the cruise terminal, but really only 10-15 minutes in a taxi.