Aruba - with a Scooter

Gma&Gpa

We will be going to Aruba on our next cruise - and my husband uses a scooter on the ship (we rent one). He can walk a little - but can't do a LOT of stairs or long walks. And - piers are a LONG walk - when you are trying to get to a taxi or bus. Does anyone know (and we'll be on Carnival Sunshine) if there is a possibility of getting help from the ship to a taxi? We would like to get to a beach for a couple hours. I have no problem with paying or tipping for service if we can get some assistance. I'm still having difficulty pushing a wheel chair due a broken wrist last fall that is still giving me problem. It's been a long time since we were in Aruba - and back then, we did not have the issue with mobility that we have these days. Hubby says he CAN just go downtown on the scooter and look around and head back to the ship while I go to the beach - but I really want him to be able to enjoy the beach also if possible. Any thoughts?

Most all cruise lines only provide wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation including Carnival. Carnival might be able to provide limited assistance in Aruba but you will have to access the situation the day of your arrival in Aruba by speaking directly to the ship's security at the gangway. It's important to note that if wheelchair assistance is provided it will only be up the entrance but not through the entrance of the Local Customs Building or Gate that you have to exit in order to enter Aruba .

Ship's personnel not scheduled to have free time in port are typically not allowed to exit the direct port area. Therefore even if you get assistance up to the Local Customs area you will than have to push your husband to the taxi area unless there's a local resident that has an entrepreneurial spirit who offers his/her services for a fee which does happen on rear occasions .

Different cruise line, and it was to the ship shore excursion busses (which is sometimes quite a walk), but the Hotel Director on one cruise made a suggestion that I have used ever since:

When leaving the ship on my rented scooter, a steward came with me, and he drove the scooter back to the ship, where they stored it until my return.

Now, I will say that sometimes I had trouble getting back to the ship when the tour returned. However, you will be with your husband; you could go back to the ship and return riding the scooter to him while he sat and waited for you.

Just a thought for your consideration.

This link has information regarding accessible beach tours in Aruba http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/aruba-accessible-shore-excursions

Link to overall accessible review of Aruba http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/aruba-disabled-access

You should also check with Carnival's Special Needs Dept. to inquire at to what , if any, accessible tours to beaches may be available.

Additionally once on board the ship speak to the excursions manager as he/she may be able to provide information as how you husband may be able to access a beach.

Thank you. I've looked at the info you posted. My biggest concern is just getting him TO a bus or taxi - I may go with the suggestion of getting him out there and then I will return the scooter to the ship - and retrieve it upon arrival back to the port. We have done a tour on Aruba a few years ago - so now it's just trying to find a way to get near the water. I'll talk to somebody on the ship and see if they can tell us how far we have to go to get a taxi. We've been at an occasional pier where there has been somebody running back and forth in a golf cart from one end of the pier to the ship.