Looking for black flats that can pull double duty

I'm working on my packing list for my October cruise. (Yep. I'm that girl :)). I'm a light packer, but I want to participate in the chic nights onboard and have two lightweight dresses picked out. I try not to take more than 3 pairs of shoes, so I'm trying to find a black flat that will work with my "formal" dresses but also be comfortable enough for some heavy duty european city walking. Please tell me there's hope! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's one of my dresses. The other is a green, satin number that has long been discontinued. If the shoes work for this dress, they will also work for the other. http://www.dillards.com/p/jessica-howard-cap-sleeve-soutache-tiered-sheath-dress/506661171?di=04796568_zi_black_tan&categoryId=-10032&facetCache=pageSize%3D96%26beginIndex%3D0%26orderBy%3D1%26facet%3D-119661089799107

I should add that I don't wear leather or suede, which is not making things any easier.

Thanks in advance!

As you plan to use it for walking with them on excursions I'd try to find something that is very comfortable. I'm from Spain so I cannot tell you were to find the shoes, but I think something like this could work. Not high heel but not totally flat(wich at least for me is unconfortable for long walking), and also stylish so you can wear it with more formal clothing.

About the materials, as you don't use suede or leather I'd choose fabric, fake leather will make you sweet and blisters.

https://www.uterque.com/es/calzado/sandalias-tac%C3%B3n-medio/sandalia-tac%C3%B3n-metalizado-c1771021p7742456.html?color=040&listId=parrilla_footwear%2Fmedium_heel_sandal&listPosition=7

As you travel in october maybe you do not want sandals, in that case I'd take the same idea but in close shoes, something like this

https://www.uterque.com/es/calzado/sandalias-tac%C3%B3n-medio/sandalia-tac%C3%B3n-metalizado-c1771021p7742456.html?color=040&listId=parrilla_footwear%2Fmedium_heel_sandal&listPosition=7

I'm working on my packing list for my October cruise. (Yep. I'm that girl :)). I'm a light packer, but I want to participate in the chic nights onboard and have two lightweight dresses picked out. I try not to take more than 3 pairs of shoes, so I'm trying to find a black flat that will work with my "formal" dresses but also be comfortable enough for some heavy duty european city walking. Please tell me there's hope! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's one of my dresses. The other is a green, satin number that has long been discontinued. If the shoes work for this dress, they will also work for the other. http://www.dillards.com/p/jessica-howard-cap-sleeve-soutache-tiered-sheath-dress/506661171?di=04796568_zi_black_tan&categoryId=-10032&facetCache=pageSize%3D96%26beginIndex%3D0%26orderBy%3D1%26facet%3D-119661089799107

I should add that I don't wear leather or suede, which is not making things any easier.

Thanks in advance!

Light packer here as well. I usually pack no more than 4 pairs. I bought Dexflexs from Payless and I also have a pair of Tieks. I feel Tieks are wonderful, however the price, not so much. Put in flats in Payless and you will see them. Tries to copy them on my phone and couldn't get it to come up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Go to jambu.com and see if any of their vegan offerings float your boat (had to throw in that pun).

I have a couple of their vegan shoes and sandals; one of them has been my staple for European travel. They don't make it anymore (bought them in 2011), so I can't point you to those specific ones.

Also, hit the sahalie.com website and look at their shoes and sandals. They have lots of Jambu, but others, too. Just weed out the leathers...

Edited by slidergirl

Light packer here as well. I usually pack no more than 4 pairs. I bought Dexflexs from Payless and I also have a pair of Tieks. I feel Tieks are wonderful, however the price, not so much. Put in flats in Payless and you will see them. Tries to copy them on my phone and couldn't get it to come up.

Thanks for the info. How have your dexflex shoes held up? Have you walked much in them? I like that they seem lightweight and easily packable.

I've heard great things about Tieks but I'm afraid the signature turquoise color on every shoe will clash with my dresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to jambu.com and see if any of their vegan offerings float your boat (had to throw in that pun).

I have a couple of their vegan shoes and sandals; one of them has been my staple for European travel. They don't make it anymore (bought them in 2011), so I can't point you to those specific ones.

Also, hit the sahalie.com website and look at their shoes and sandals. They have lots of Jambu, but others, too. Just weed out the leathers...

I always appreciate a good pun! Thanks for the info on Jambu. I've never heard of it. I don't think their shoes will work for this specific purpose but I may have found a pair to buy for the summer. Great options!

Thanks for the info. How have your dexflex shoes held up? Have you walked much in them? I like that they seem lightweight and easily packable.

I've heard great things about Tieks but I'm afraid the signature turquoise color on every shoe will clash with my dresses.

I wear my Dexflex to work often, probably three times a week (and take them on cruises!). Compared to other flats I've purchased in the past, I'm UBER happy with them. I drive a manual and my shoes tend to wear on the sides because of the way I rest my feet and these don't look as worn. For the money, you can't beat them! I got mine at a BOGO sale they had and it made the deal very sweet. I have one pair of Tieks and while they fit great, what they cost is rough. The Dexflexs fit just as well in my carry on.

I was just going to recommend jambu. I didn't get vegan ones (or assume I didn't), but I got some cute black sandaly mary janes for $17 at costco! I'm planning to wear them with dresses in the evening and walking at ports (also in October).

Oooo, stunning! It's gorgeous. I have a dress like that but the top is a bit different.

My only advice is that you break your shoes in long before your European walking! I wore my NIKES in Europe and they really saved my feet (let's be honest - we all look like tourists in Europe, we just do! LOL). I have worn black flats for years but they always give me blisters at first - not fun. If I were to go back again, I would wear a comfortable sandal for walking. I have two pairs of them now, but back in 2011 when we went to Europe, I went for comfort first. ;)

I am a light packer (at least, I try to be), especially with shoes -- but although I've looked around a lot I cannot find any shoes that (for me) would hold up to the heavy-duty walking I do in most European cities and STILL look good enough to go with the dress you have posted.

What I normally do is pack ONE pair of dressy low-heeled shoes in black that go with all of my evening outfits -- dressy, but comfortable enough that I don't mind slipping into them after a full day of walking. Then I pack TWO pairs of shoes for walking (which to me is the most important part of Europe -- you can't enjoy the sightseeing if your feet are in misery). And possibly one thin pair of flip flops if it's that kind of cruise -- a lot of mine aren't.

I have these NAOT sandals in black that might almost fit the bill BUT for the leather: http://www.zappos.com/p/naot-footwear-papaki-shiitake-nubuck-sterling-leather/product/8471040/color/303878

I am on my second pair of these VERY lightweight and comfortable Easy Spirit cap-toe ballet flats that go on less summery cruises for evenings: http://www.easyspirit.com/Gessica-Round-Toe-Ballet-Flats/54827579,default,pd.html?variantColor=JJ7ACA9&variantSize=085&variantWidth=W&ep_tag=rkgGPLA&adpos=1o2&creative=89040943262&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwpJ_JBRC3tYai4Ky09zQSJAC5r7ruyzy6c0tEKPSRneI1kr0R8sR_823DZPK5cgFHflnBihoCS2fw_wcB

Hi, just want to say I think the dress is lovely:),,,,...I hope you are able to find whatever shoes you are looking for......the

dress is beautiful.....hope you are able to get something for it and walking....maybe pack 4 pairs instead.......one for walking

and a dressy pair for your dresses?

My walking shoes are Vionics...they make black sandals in man made materials but not sure they would be dressy enough.

You could look at them on line. QVC and Amazon sell them and they have their own website.

Good luck to you:)

Edited by Lois R

I thought I was a light packer also. Am heading to Cuba and am carrying a duffel and a summer/beach type tote bag as my personal bag.

Wound up with 2 pair of pants and 7 shirts with all the other 'things' that go with. So many shirts because people are saying it is SO hot & humid in Cuba right now I'll need 2 shirts on excursion days. 1 for excursion, back to ship, shower and fresh clothes for dinner/after dinner outing.

As you travel in october maybe you do not want sandals, in that case I'd take the same idea but in close shoes, something like this

Depends where she'll be exactly. On two different occasions I've spend a week in Italy and wore nothing but sandals the whole time. The weather was beautiful, and I have some Vionic brand that have great arch support and are super comfy for walking.

My advice goes in a different direction: If you opt for maxi dresses /long skirts, your dinner shoes won't really show /won't matter as much. A pair of daytime walking sandals could easily "hide" under a maxi dress.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I went away on vacation and came back to so much great advice. I appreciate everyone's input.

I've decided on four pairs of shoes after all. I'll do some waterproof walking shoes since I expect a fair amount of rain, casual skechers for walking when it's not wet out, flip-flops for walking to/from the hot tub and shared bathroom situations, and a shiny new pair of dexflex flats. I like how little space the dexflexes will take up and although they probably aren't the best for long cobblestone-type walks, I also like that they will be comfy enough to dress up some jeans for the evening. I think I will get a lot of use out of them.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Wow! I went away on vacation and came back to so much great advice. I appreciate everyone's input.

I've decided on four pairs of shoes after all. I'll do some waterproof walking shoes since I expect a fair amount of rain, casual skechers for walking when it's not wet out, flip-flops for walking to/from the hot tub and shared bathroom situations, and a shiny new pair of dexflex flats. I like how little space the dexflexes will take up and although they probably aren't the best for long cobblestone-type walks, I also like that they will be comfy enough to dress up some jeans for the evening. I think I will get a lot of use out of them.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

I love my Dexflex shoes and I'm so very shocked at how very well they have held up for me, personally speaking. I wear mine for work and for vacation. I want to buy a few more pairs because it's been my experience that things I like usually have a tendency to go away. When you are a light packer, they pack VERY well!

Having lived in Europe myself for several years, I walked on cobblestone walkways pretty much everywhere....personally, I found walking there was easier than on Baltimore stone streets, which is the ballast from ships from the 17 and 1800's. Athletic shoes are almost always better for this purpose

Glad you found something to work for you! :)