Best way to get around St. George

rieann

Hey all.. I'm trying to find the best way to hit all the spots I want to in St. George (St. Peters, Unfinished Church, Fort St. Catherine, Gates Bay, and Tobacco Bay). I would normally just walk it, but I'll be travelling with my aunt who is recovering from a surgery and probably couldn't handle all that.

I read some negative things about the hop on hop off shuttle. Can anyone direct me to an official bus schedule/stop map? Thanks!

There are no public buses that go to the places you're interested in seeing. There have a couple of different versions of what was offered via the hop on hop off bus depending on the year. I haven't seen anything affirming what if anything is being offered this year, but perhaps someone else has that information. Otherwise your options are taxis or walking.

Hey all.. I'm trying to find the best way to hit all the spots I want to in St. George (St. Peters, Unfinished Church, Fort St. Catherine, Gates Bay, and Tobacco Bay). I would normally just walk it, but I'll be travelling with my aunt who is recovering from a surgery and probably couldn't handle all that.

I read some negative things about the hop on hop off shuttle. Can anyone direct me to an official bus schedule/stop map? Thanks!

As mentioned there are no buses to those locations and there is no hop on and hop off. There might be some kind of shuttle like last year but since there doesn't seem to be any news about a shuttle I would not count on one.

St Peters is in the town and won't be much of a walk from the ferry or town square. Same with the Unfinished Church but it is up a hill. For the rest I suggest a taxi if you can't walk even if there is shuttle service. The distance between the places is not far so the taxi fare won't be expensive.

Thanks! Maybe we'll hoof it up to the unfinished church and then take a taxi up to tobacco bay/Fort St. Catherine. You think we will have trouble catching a taxi at the unfinished church? Looks like it's isolated on it's own

Thanks! Maybe we'll hoof it up to the unfinished church and then take a taxi up to tobacco bay/Fort St. Catherine. You think we will have trouble catching a taxi at the unfinished church? Looks like it's isolated on it's own

Probably not catch a cab there. You would go back to the square or keep walking to Tobacco Bay. What you could do is take a taxi to Tobacco Bay / Fort St. Catherine and have the taxi stop and wait. You would be on the meter but the Unfinished Church only needs to be a few minutes. The inside might not even be open but even if it is, it is like see it , take a couple of photos and that is it. Mark it off the Bermuda bucket list.

Taxis usually park in King's Square so I would suggest hiring one there to take you to the Unfinished Church and having it wait there until you finish your visit there before proceeding to Tobacco Bay/Fort St. Catherine.

SBtS

Probably not catch a cab there. You would go back to the square or keep walking to Tobacco Bay. What you could do is take a taxi to Tobacco Bay / Fort St. Catherine and have the taxi stop and wait. You would be on the meter but the Unfinished Church only needs to be a few minutes. The inside might not even be open but even if it is, it is like see it , take a couple of photos and that is it. Mark it off the Bermuda bucket list.

Recent reports on TripAdvisor indicate the interior is currently closed. My experience is that has been the case most of the time over the last decade or so.

So, a couple of minutes for pictures will be it.

Recent reports on TripAdvisor indicate the interior is currently closed. My experience is that has been the case most of the time over the last decade or so.

So, a couple of minutes for pictures will be it.

Dang! Bermuda is bumming me out so far! First I can't swim in caves at Tom Moore's and now the church is closed. Pbbbt! I think having the taxi wait will be the best idea. Thanks everyone

Oh, and so then..similarly.. will there be available taxis around fort st. Catherine going back to the ferry terminal? :)

I would not anticipate that there would be taxi at FSC looking for a fare; but you may luck out that a taxi brings people looking to tour FSC, and the taxi is looking for a fare. Or have the ticket booth at FSC summon a taxi for you; or go to Blackbeard's Hideout ask them to summon a taxi for you and have a drink while waiting :D.

SBtS

I would not anticipate that there would be taxi at FSC looking for a fare; but you may luck out that a taxi brings people looking to tour FSC, and the taxi is looking for a fare. Or have the ticket booth at FSC summon a taxi for you; or go to Blackbeard's Hideout ask them to summon a taxi for you and have a drink while waiting :D.

SBtS

Many thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...
Are these points of interest walkable?

Everything mentioned in the first post and my posts are walkable. The distance is about 2.9 miles so the age of your legs will decide whether it is walkable for you.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

Are these points of interest walkable?

Everything mentioned in the first post and my posts are walkable. The distance is about 2.9 miles so the age of your legs will decide whether it is walkable for you.

Here is a map which may help:

SG3.jpg

To make the image larger, click on the post number in the upper right corner.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling