Authentic Luau on Oahu?

Keys2Heaven

My wife and I will be travelling via Carnival to Hawaii in January 2019. Port time for Honolulu/Oahu is 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Planning on booking independently of the cruise line for Pearl Harbour, so we can see it without feeling rushed.

However, would like to do luau in the evening. Carnival contracts with Germaine's Luau and is currently ranked #2 on Trip Advisor. Carnival's price is considerably more than booking directly with Germaine's. Another option is Paradise Cove, who also provides transportation from area hotels for a nominal fee.

I'm wondering if there are still any smaller, sit-in-the-grass luau's on Oahu that I remember seeing on shows like The Brady Bunch or The Love Boat. Everything looks to be so commercialized and crowded from the youtube videos of these places.

While we can't comment about Oahu, the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui came to mind as an alternative of sorts. If you opt for traditional seating, you will be front row seated cross-legged on cushions at a low table.

Unfortunately, we'll be docking in Kahului and I understand there is considerable travel time to OLL, even with perfect road conditions.

We're only in port in until 11 p.m. that night and am pretty nervous about missing the boat if something would cause an excessive delay getting back to the ship on time.

For this reason, we're thinking of either Paradise Cove or Germaine's on Oahu. I figure we can taxi/uber over to PH in the morning and take our time, then have a taxi take us the hotel (Ala Moana) where Paradise Cove picks up. They will take us back to the pier when done.

Germaine's is through Carnival.

I don't know what day of the week you will be there but there are luaus at these Waikiki hotels... the Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, Hilton Hawaiian Village, and Hale Koa. The Hale Koa would be my choice but it may not be available if you are not a veteran or active military. In my opinion there is no need to take a bus 40 minutes from port for a good luau but that is just my opinion. I have also read good reviews on CC of the Chief's luau at Sea Life Park. Luckily you have plenty of time to make a choice. Have fun, Cherie

When on Oahu in January, we went to Chief's Luau and just loved it. It's out side, has the pit-roasted pig (which is delicious) and fire dancers. We bought the Royal tickets as this was our first luau. Would recommend. Many good TripAdvisor reviews. When we did Pearl Harbor in 2016, we used Hoku tours for a luxury tour of PH and Honolulu. Have a great time in Hawaii!

None of the commercial luaus are what I'd call authentic. The Polynesian Cultural Center is the closest to authentic with the best show of the commercial luaus.

Paradise Cove and Chief's get high marks, but they have the same stale jokes and gags that most of the commercial luaus seem to have.

Checking your dates and looking for a church luau on Oahu is your best bet for authentic. Other than that I'd book Paradise Cove because of the ease of it.

The Royal Hawaiian dinner isn't really a luau and the HHV luau is on top of the stack parking lot. I like the Hale Koa luau, but civilians can't book in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what day of the week you will be there but there are luaus at these Waikiki hotels... the Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, Hilton Hawaiian Village, and Hale Koa. The Hale Koa would be my choice but it may not be available if you are not a veteran or active military. In my opinion there is no need to take a bus 40 minutes from port for a good luau but that is just my opinion. I have also read good reviews on CC of the Chief's luau at Sea Life Park. Luckily you have plenty of time to make a choice. Have fun, Cherie

We will be on the carnival legend are there any luaus nearby

We will be on the carnival legend are there any luaus nearby

Are you wanting a luau in Honolulu or are you open to a luau in other ports? If you want a luau in Honolulu I think the closest luaus would be at one of the Waikiki hotels. This involves a short taxi ride but beautiful settings. Most luau venues only have luaus certain days of the week so your choices may be limited depending on when you will be in Honolulu. If I were a veteran or active military I would choose the Hale Koa. It has been mentioned on CC that if they are not sold out they will accept non-military luau guests. I am not a huge fan of buffets so my preference would be a luau that offers just the show and cocktails. I always love the music and dances of the South Pacific islands. Cherie

My wife and I will be travelling via Carnival to Hawaii in January 2019. Port time for Honolulu/Oahu is 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

My husband and I are also on this cruise in January of 2019. As you can tell, I am already researching things to do in Hawaii even though I have two years to plan. lol

Word to the wise though: Whichever luau you decide on, make sure if you need to cancel last minute that they will do a full refund. We had booked our luau well in advance, on our own, (not through excursions on Carnival) and the morning we docked, the announcement came that the ship would need to leave at 9pm, not the intended 11pm depart. They said that the port was extremely busy, and we couldn't stay...=[ It would have cut our luau time in half because of travel time in car. Luckily, we did get a full refund from the luau place. Have a great time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

We loved the Chiefs Luau. Although out of town it is definitely worth the effort to get there. I believe they do pick up and return now which they didn't do a few years ago when we were there. We have been to Germaines as well and didn't enjoy it as much. If you just want a hula show there is a free one on the beach in Waikiki a few nights a week, check that out and see if is on a day you are in port. Have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done Germaine's luau, and I personally liked it very much. I would do it again. I've also done Paradise Cove, and I would not want to do that again.

Perhaps it was the company that made the difference, but Germaine's was a much more intimate setting, and I felt that the food was even better. Paradise Cove reminded me of going through the lunch line at a summer camp when I was a kid.

Another vote for the Chief's luau. The chairs and tables were on the grass, so I suppose you could sit right on the grass if you wanted. :)

We had so much fun. The Chief greeted everyone as he came in and he also said goodbye to everyone as they left. Drinks and food were really good. There were some activities before the feasting (making ti leaf crowns, digging up the pig ceremony, other stuff...).

We paid extra for royal seats but I don't know if there were more than 200 people there so all the seats were good and had good views of the show. It felt much more intimate and as though we were at the Chief's private party, rather than a big commercial tourist thing.

We were picked up from our hotel, but I think they will also pick up for the pier, or maybe a hotel that's nearby. We were done and back at our hotel by 9:30 (I think we were picked up around 3:30 or 4:30) so it's doable if you are there till 11:00.

I have done Germaine's luau, and I personally liked it very much. I would do it again. I've also done Paradise Cove, and I would not want to do that again.

Perhaps it was the company that made the difference, but Germaine's was a much more intimate setting, and I felt that the food was even better. Paradise Cove reminded me of going through the lunch line at a summer camp when I was a kid.

Hi there,

Trip Advisor says the opposite! Now I don't know what to do!

Angela

• 2 months later...
Are you wanting a luau in Honolulu or are you open to a luau in other ports? If you want a luau in Honolulu I think the closest luaus would be at one of the Waikiki hotels. This involves a short taxi ride but beautiful settings. Most luau venues only have luaus certain days of the week so your choices may be limited depending on when you will be in Honolulu. If I were a veteran or active military I would choose the Hale Koa. It has been mentioned on CC that if they are not sold out they will accept non-military luau guests. I am not a huge fan of buffets so my preference would be a luau that offers just the show and cocktails. I always love the music and dances of the South Pacific islands. Cherie

Hale koa is not really a buffet, they serve you a plate of food already prepared. They may have a buffet line were they prep the food for delivery but you don't even have to leave your seat.

Planning on booking independently of the cruise line for Pearl Harbour, so we can see it without feeling rushed.

However, would like to do luau in the evening. Carnival contracts with Germaine's Luau and is currently ranked #2 on Trip Advisor. Carnival's price is considerably more than booking directly with Germaine's. Another option is Paradise Cove, who also provides transportation from area hotels for a nominal fee.

I'm wondering if there are still any smaller, sit-in-the-grass luau's on Oahu that I remember seeing on shows like The Brady Bunch or The Love Boat. Everything looks to be so commercialized and crowded from the youtube videos of these places.

I'm booked on the same cruise. I can't wait

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have been to both Germaine's and also to Paradise Cove (I think that's it). Preferred Germaine's so much better.

We went on a bus with the hotel in which we were staying. We got there a bit late and missed out on some of the prelimiaries (looking at beach, etc). I recall it being a rough ride. But I'm not much of a complainer and I can take a lot.

I will just say this. I enjoyed Germaine's much more than the Paradise Cove. The setting was so much more intimate than it was at the other.

I think you will enjoy it.

Have been to both Germaine's and also to Paradise Cove (I think that's it). Preferred Germaine's so much better.

Germaine's was well regarded decades ago, but it has gotten stale and lags behind Paradise Cove, The Chief's, Hale Koa, Royal Hawaiian and PCC.

If your only two choices are Paradise Cove and Germaine's, Paradise Cove is the higher rated, more highly regarded.

Germaine's was well regarded decades ago, but it has gotten stale and lags behind Paradise Cove, The Chief's, Hale Koa, Royal Hawaiian and PCC.

If your only two choices are Paradise Cove and Germaine's, Paradise Cove is the higher rated, more highly regarded.

Ugh, the PCC "luau" is terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is pretty well acknowledged that the PCC has the best, most authentic show of any of the luaus.

The food isn't anything to write home about.

Umm...no.

You're right that the food sucks though.

Ummm yes.

A quick question on TripAdvisor and the reply you get from the locals and the experts is PCC for the show.

The show. Not the luau.

Two different things.

What luau has decent food?

The PCC has decent food, it just isn't great. None of the commercial luaus have great food, they all have decent food, some better than others. But you go to luaus for the shows, not the food. If you want great Hawaiian food you go to Helena's Hawaiian Food, Haili's Hawaiian Foods, Ono Hawaiian Food, etc.

The Royal Hawaiian has very good food, but I wouldn't call it a luau in the traditional sense.

The Chief's luau is very popular right now, Paradise Cove too, but the food is decent, not great.

If you have DoD connections (retired military, active duty, etc) the Hale Koa is a nice luau.