Dockyard to railway Bike Trail?

nasamom

Yes,

we did it last year.. in reverse.

Took ferry to Hamilton, rented bike at OIeander downtown and followed trail ( with some side trips) all the way back to Dockyard. Very scenic. We stopped at horseshoe bay for lunch.

Hi,

Sounds like a fun day - we wanted to hire bikes from kings wharf but when I asked the question on trip advisor I was told not to do it, the roads are very dangerous!

Did you find the traffic was ok?

Use caution --- As with anything and it may not be for the novice bike rider.

Yes, they also drive on the other side of the road!

Once you leave the Wharf you will be on the Malabar rd follow this and you will cross over a couple Bridges. It then changes over to Somerset Rd. Once you get into The Village of Somerset Look for "railroad Trail" markers. You will have to make a left on one of those side streets to intersect ewith trail ( the trail and main rd interesect numerous time along the way)

Some of the trail is gravel, some dirt and there are some hills and steps to climb.

General maps of Bermuda are available at the "tourist info" kiosk, but there is also a website?? With specific places of interest along the trail.

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the info! Sounds like to can rent right at the dockyard and make our way to the trail. :)

Yes, Oleanders Rental is 5-10 minute walk from cruise ships -- back near the galleries.

It will take about 1/2 hour to get to the railroad trail.

Hi,

Sounds like a fun day - we wanted to hire bikes from kings wharf but when I asked the question on trip advisor I was told not to do it, the roads are very dangerous!

Did you find the traffic was ok?

If you are concerned about navigating the roads to Somerset there is a guided Railway Bike Trail tour offered. It avoids the roads. They will take you to the beginning of the trail. It can be booked at the Island Tour Centre at the Dockyard and likely your cruise line also offers the bike trail tour as an excursion.

https://www.islandtourcentre.com/reservations/#category/369

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your replies. I did see the tour, but after reading reviews, it sounds like a VERY short time is spent on the trail riding.

We rented pedal bikes at the Dockyard .

We gave up on the Railway Trail. The South Rd. along the water was much more enjoyable. It allowed for frequent stops for swimming along the way.

We biked to Hamilton and took the ferry back (with our bikes).

Yes,

we did it last year.. in reverse.

Took ferry to Hamilton, rented bike at OIeander downtown and followed trail ( with some side trips) all the way back to Dockyard. Very scenic. We stopped at horseshoe bay for lunch.

So you could easily pick up bikes at one location and drop them off in another one?

Yes, It's the same company.

Just FYI... It will fill most of your day. Enjoy!

Thanks.

Since my summer capacity is only 14 miles I've chosen to use the Paget Oleander location instead (13 miles to Dockyard). Guess that means I have to come back more than once :)