Sirena - Tuscan Steak

Wol

Can you order appetizer-sized portions of the pastas at Tuscan Steak?

in any venue ash for any size reduction of any dish... my wife asked for a 1/4 sliceof the standard slice of cheese cake...no problem id order kobe beef burger no bun or condiments or sides... It pretty much anything.

I love Aisian and French, but know that some adore toscana... To me its 3/4 oils, heavy starches tomatoe/ cheese sauces and bread pasta, bread oil... just overwhelming heavy everything only 2 or 3 items on the whole menu even half way healthy and light.

Can you order appetizer-sized portions of the pastas at Tuscan Steak?

Cannot answer for Tuscan Steak but on the other ships with Toscana or Polo I have asked for smaller portions of some dishes

If it is possible they will do it

If not just eat what you want of the dish ..you are not required to clean your plate ;)

It looks like they took them off because these dishes weren't very popular with the majority of diners. Onion rings? :eek:

I think you can still get onion rings at Sonic or Dairy Queen.

It looks like they took them off because these dishes weren't very popular with the majority of diners. Onion rings? :eek:

one cruise great, the next the used basil oil. too much fat starch and fat things for many. Too its easy to keep under-control by skipping lunches. and 95% of deserts and bread . worked fine 17 days didnt miss it... and came back the same weight as I left... at LHT so well said you dont have to eat all they bring you... it wont make the chef cry or mad.

This thread is funny, since we just returned from Florence, in Tuscany and disovered that meat, especially steaks, was very popular on the menus. I had no idea, since my last trip to Italy was in the early 70's when nobody could afford meat, lol.

I didn't have one of these steaks, but it changed my concept of Italian. BTW, I experienced Toscana once, on Riviera, and was extremely unimpressed. So anything would be an improvement, for me.

What Food Is Recommended at Tuscan Steakl?

Is there anything that stands out?

We will be boarding Sirena in about 7 weeks.

Everything on the menu will be top class. However, its very personal as to what your taste is. Some crave Italian some other dont. What they like or others like will be entirely dependent on their personal likes and if you were them then it would be a cinch to pick. BUT you are not them and they are not you..

I would suggest sticking to the red meat filet, prime rib sort of thing and approach with caution the Italian theme things. Too your first time be observant as to what others seem to be ordering... they might give you some more ideas.

I'll ask around while on board.

One of my best CRUISE MEALS ever was something called an Escargot Tortellini with Garlic Mousse on Celebrity's Murano a few years ago.

It apparently was not all that popular as it is not offered anymore.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I'll ask around while on board.

One of my best CRUISE MEALS ever was something called an Escargot Tortellini with Garlic Mousse on Celebrity's Murano a few years ago.

It apparently was not all that popular as it is not offered anymore.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Many times people will fee insecure about going to a new place and ask others what they loved. That really is not objective because of wildly different taste and likes.

Look at the big picture, your on perhaps the best ship line with the finest foods to be found at sea. Based on that you can pretty much rely on anything you order if it sounds like something you yourself would like.

Asking others what are the must do or must eat things ignores totally your likes..... be confident you will always know best and better than anyone of us. could ever suggest.

• 7 months later...
no French Onion Soup.

no Veal al Limone

no sautéed mushrooms

no onion rings

no ravioli in sage butter sauce

tiramisu?

This post got me interested in this topic. Even though the thread is old, did not want to start a new one.

So Polo was to be like a Classic Steakhouse. Things missing from Tuscan Steak

Oyster Rockefeller, warm foie gras, escargot, clam chowder, onion soup, steakhouse style salad, Waldorf salad, Cobb Salads with choice of 4 proteins, Sides like lobster mac and cheese, roaster garlic mashed potatoes, truffle mashed potatoes, rack of lamb, slider trio. surf and turf, swordfish steak, tuna steak. All items typically found at a steakhouse.

Then Toscana, Italian even the menu listed the Italian names. Missing at Tuscan Steak Olive Oil and Vinegar sampler, cheese sampler, appetizers - eggplant, shrimp proscuitto, fried calamari, artichoke/ cheese Timbale, Tortelloni, Ravioli, Trio Toscana, Fettuccine with spinach and Duck ragu, Lasagne Al Forne, Filet in Gorgonzola crust, Veal 4 different ways, Pancetta Lamb Chop, Pork Chop with Chestnut Marsala Demi Glace and trio of polenta.

So it might appear that instead of two typically classical experiences, we are offered the best of menu that does not seem please traditionalists. Seems a pretty major change. Just an observation.

This post got me interested in this topic. Even though the thread is old, did not want to start a new one.

So Polo was to be like a Classic Steakhouse. Things missing from Tuscan Steak

Oyster Rockefeller, warm foie gras, escargot, clam chowder, onion soup, steakhouse style salad, Waldorf salad, Cobb Salads with choice of 4 proteins, Sides like lobster mac and cheese, roaster garlic mashed potatoes, truffle mashed potatoes, rack of lamb, slider trio. surf and turf, swordfish steak, tuna steak. All items typically found at a steakhouse.

Then Toscana, Italian even the menu listed the Italian names. Missing at Tuscan Steak Olive Oil and Vinegar sampler, cheese sampler, appetizers - eggplant, shrimp proscuitto, fried calamari, artichoke/ cheese Timbale, Tortelloni, Ravioli, Trio Toscana, Fettuccine with spinach and Duck ragu, Lasagne Al Forne, Filet in Gorgonzola crust, Veal 4 different ways, Pancetta Lamb Chop, Pork Chop with Chestnut Marsala Demi Glace and trio of polenta.

So it might appear that instead of two typically classical experiences, we are offered the best of menu that does not seem please traditionalists. Seems a pretty major change. Just an observation.

You have pretty much nailed the issue - the Tuscan steak experience/menu is neither Tuscan or Steak - it is a kind of a half ass compromise. As noted above, an awful lot of really good dishes have been eliminated. As with most compromises the result is no one is happy :(.

The hotel manager on Sirena told me that the decision to add Red Ginger was the driver and that, since there were fans of both Polo and Tuscan they couldn't decide which one to keep so they tried to save the "best" of both. They failed (in my opinion) because part of the original appeal was the overall menu and experiences were "Classic" steak house or Tuscan/Italian. We would have been happier with either the Polo or the Tuscan being retained.

You have pretty much nailed the issue - the Tuscan steak experience/menu is neither Tuscan or Steak - it is a kind of a half ass compromise. As noted above, an awful lot of really good dishes have been eliminated. As with most compromises the result is no one is happy :(.

The hotel manager on Sirena told me that the decision to add Red Ginger was the driver and that, since there were fans of both Polo and Tuscan they couldn't decide which one to keep so they tried to save the "best" of both. They failed (in my opinion) because part of the original appeal was the overall menu and experiences were "Classic" steak house or Tuscan/Italian. We would have been happier with either the Polo or the Tuscan being retained.

I certainly respect your opinion, but...

I, for one, would not be happier if they chose Toscana and left out Polo as Toscana is our least favorite of all specialties on Oceania.

I suspect, though I do not know for sure, that they chose the dishes from the 2 restaurants because those were ordered most frequently rather than just picking them randomly. I am sure they have records that show which dishes are most popular in both restaurants.

Obviously they cannot please everyone in a situation where some dishes have to be eliminated but using "numbers" they probably please more people than if they chose them randomly.

Speaking for myself, I would have preferred if they had put in Jacques instead of Red Ginger, but they didn't ask me :D

Again, they can't please everyone. Neither you nor I are completely happy but I suspect many others are.

I think it would be nice if the R ships had a few differences for the sake of variety. No need for making all the restaurants the same.

That's an excellent idea. I would much rather have the complete experience of any of the time tested Oceania Specialties than the weak compromise combination of two very different styles of dining. The décor on Sirena hasn't been mentioned for a while; Tuscan Steak is a pretty neutral design. Polo looked like a classic steak house.

I also think the Jacques Bistro options for lunch is poorly conceived. The food is good but it's just not the kind of food I want for lunch. For me, French food is a leisurely dinner dining experience with a bottle of good wine.:) I can't do that at lunch time.

I also think the Jacques Bistro options for lunch is poorly conceived. The food is good but it's just not the kind of food I want for lunch. For me, French food is a leisurely dinner dining experience with a bottle of good wine.:) I can't do that at lunch time.

Couldn't agree more.

We like Jacques on O class ships very much but I was disappointed with the J's Bistro on Sirena. We tried it only once and not likely to have it again.

As the OP I have read all replies with interest!

Of course everyone's preferences are different, but I still think the point is often being missed.

That is the fact that the R and O ships are different: the four specialities on the bigger ships fit well but shoe-horning them into the smaller ones would always involve compromises and upset some guests.

We are not fans of RG and thought we were the odd ones out, but at a rough guess something like 30% are of the same opinion judging from those we have talked to.

We love Jaques on the big ships but putting a Jaques lunch menu into Sirena seems a bit of a gimmick, frankly. However it doesn't change the atmosphere, which the Tuscan/RG set-up really does.

Having done three Sirena cruises it's fairly evident that many of the staff agree it's a retrograde step.

• 2 weeks later...
As the OP I have read all replies with interest!

Of course everyone's preferences are different, but I still think the point is often being missed.

That is the fact that the R and O ships are different: the four specialities on the bigger ships fit well but shoe-horning them into the smaller ones would always involve compromises and upset some guests.

We are not fans of RG and thought we were the odd ones out, but at a rough guess something like 30% are of the same opinion judging from those we have talked to.

We love Jaques on the big ships but putting a Jaques lunch menu into Sirena seems a bit of a gimmick, frankly. However it doesn't change the atmosphere, which the Tuscan/RG set-up really does.

Having done three Sirena cruises it's fairly evident that many of the staff agree it's a retrograde step.

So, according to your survey, does that mean 70% of PAX are fans of RG? What was your sample size?

The reason I ask is, it will be my first time sailing with Oceania. I will be sailing on 7 day Cuba cruise Sirena and looking forward to having some exciting and innovative Pan Asian or Asian Fusion cuisine on board. Is that what I can expect on the menu in RG? Oceania PAX rave about how the cusine is well above mainstream cruise lines like Princess, Celebrity, HAL, and RCCL.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

>>So, according to your survey, does that mean 70% of PAX are fans of RG? What was your sample size?

The reason I ask is, it will be my first time sailing with Oceania. I will be sailing on 7 day Cuba cruise Sirena and looking forward to having some exciting and innovative Pan Asian or Asian Fusion cuisine on board. Is that what I can expect on the menu in RG? Oceania PAX rave about how the cusine is well above mainstream cruise lines like Princess, Celebrity, HAL, and RCCL. <<

Obviously, a straw poll isn't particularly significant, but I was surprised at the number of people who are not RG fans for whatever reason. Probably most are like us, and don't like shellfish.

There's nothing wrong with change so long as it's not for change's sake. Sirena's setup was really a "no cost" one since it was as a refit; however if the fleet is to be done the same way it will be at significant cost and in many's view a retrograde step.

Each to his own!