200,000 GRT World Class Rendering

cjknox

The comment re an Iron was not posted by myself!

You need to use the quote facility, Dave! :p

Pete ... No matter how much I look at this ship it looks like a container ship with windows.

It's the capacity that's scary! That number of people all disgorging at once from the ship doesn't bear thinking about. As for tender ports :eek:

It's the capacity that's scary! That number of people all disgorging at once from the ship doesn't bear thinking about. As for tender ports :eek:

She will be smaller than the Oasis Class but carry more passengers if that tells you anything. Also while I trust Royal Caribbean to effectively manage that amount of people, I don't have the same confidence in MSC, at least not yet.

I'm not sure these ships will ever call at tender ports. I know the Oasis Class ships never tender, ever. In fact Royal Caribbean has gone to great lengths to build up the infrastructure in most of the ports the Oasis Class call at. Things like building security structures pier side so passengers can re-embark much more quickly in various ports of call. Not sure MSC will go to those lengths. Royal Caribbean was very smart when designing and planning around the Oasis Class. Knowing these are the largest cruise ships in the world, they knew if people felt crowded on them or had to wait in endless lines they would be a complete failure. Thankfully they got it right and to me at least, the Oasis Class feels more spacious and less crowded than most ships half their size.

Hopefully MSC has learned from their own past newbuilds, and also studied the Oasis Class and will also get it right with this class of ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ernie ... I agree with you regarding Oasis that it never felt crowded anywhere on the ship the theatre excluded of course, we never had to wait for anything and having the Electronic boards to see which places were busy for food made it easy go go to one that was fairly quiet.

More passengers on a smaller ship seems to be the MSC way which may eventually come back to bite them especially as possibly their worst thing is organisation of passengers when leaving a ship.

Does anyone do research?.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/the-world%e2%80%99s-largest-cruise-ship-is-like-a-floating-island/ar-BBCjrRy?li=BBnb7Kz

RCCL Oasis Class is longer, wider, and has a higher gross tonnage......but the author thinks that the World Class "will be the largest cruise liners in the world"

Does anyone do research?.....

RCCL Oasis Class is longer, wider, and has a higher gross tonnage......but the author thinks that the World Class "will be the largest cruise liners in the world"

People occasionally claim that the ship with the largest passenger capacity is the biggest, but this is NOT true!

• 2 weeks later...
Judging by the early reviews of Meraviglia, she is suffering from poor passenger-flow/crowd control.

I can't say I'm surprised. I don't see MSC putting all the thought and detail into their designs like Royal Caribbean does. They likely go with an off the shelf shipyard design and tweak it to suit their needs. Royal is truly involved in the design process of their ships start to finish.

I'm sailing on SEASIDE in January and I have high hopes. Looks like a great design on paper at least. I'll be in the Yacht Club so I'll be able to escape the crowds if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums