Uniworld Russia

Los_Pepes

Hi All,

I am about to pull the trigger on a Uniworld Russia cruise for next summer. I have scoured the board and soaked up as much as I could before I drop $10k+.

Before I make the booking I just would like some last minute insights from those who have done one of these. I am not looking for anything specific so please feel free to express anything. I am not sure what I don't know so please feel free to say anything you think I might find interesting or valuable.

Thanks!

Los Pepes: I, too, would like to hear from anyone, who recently (this year) did a river cruise in Russia. I think that there are very few who do this cruise (Uniworld, Viking and Scenic). I, too, have read through the threads on CC and there are many positive comments and, perhaps, an equal number of negative comments like--"too long on bus getting from place to place." I am thinking of doing this cruise as I would love to visit Moscow but have been to St. Petersburg, but, like you, don't want to spend the money if the trip is not worth it. I would be willing to see St. Petersburg again, but if the rest of the trip is just so-so, I won't bother. Hopefully, we will hear something from our fellow CC posters.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Uniworld Russia cruise in 2012, and of course I don't know if it has changed much. The downside of using Uniworld, as you probably have read, is that you spend 3 nights each on the ship in Moscow and St. Petersburg instead of in a downtown hotel, with bus rides of up to 45 minutes (Moscow) and 25 minutes (St. P) to downtown. But the guides on the coaches were so informative that good use was made of the rides. It did take 2 1/2 hours from the Moscow airport in late afternoon traffic to the ship, which was not so pleasant.

Anyway, we were so thrilled to be in Russia, after growing up during the Cold War, that we took everything as part of the adventure. The tours were well planned; we had only one guide, on Kizhi Island, who wasn't up to the excellence Uniworld usually provides -- he was new to guiding and didn't have a great command of English. We had quite a bit of free time in Moscow and St. Pete, after the tours, and usually a couple of hours or so at the ports in between. One unique thing about this itinerary is that, due to the long distance traveled, there is more daytime cruising time than on other itineraries, which we rather liked. We traveled in June, which meant it was light quite late, and we sat outside after dinner and watched the forests and small towns go by.

As you also probably have read, all the ships are built by the same Russian company and look alike on the outside. We were rafted a few times and found that the Uniworld decor, while not as elegant as that on their European ships, was more upscale than the other ships we passed through. The crew was all Russian; many of the servers and stateroom attendants were university students working on their English. They were eager to please and we enjoyed their sense of humor. A couple of Russian language classes were offered during cruise time, which was fun. Of course, by now I've forgotten most of what I learned.

I would be happy to answer any questions that I can.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Uniworld Russia cruise in 2012, and of course I don't know if it has changed much. The downside of using Uniworld, as you probably have read, is that you spend 3 nights each on the ship in Moscow and St. Petersburg instead of in a downtown hotel, with bus rides of up to 45 minutes (Moscow) and 25 minutes (St. P) to downtown. But the guides on the coaches were so informative that good use was made of the rides. It did take 2 1/2 hours from the Moscow airport in late afternoon traffic to the ship, which was not so pleasant.

Anyway, we were so thrilled to be in Russia, after growing up during the Cold War, that we took everything as part of the adventure. The tours were well planned; we had only one guide, on Kizhi Island, who wasn't up to the excellence Uniworld usually provides -- he was new to guiding and didn't have a great command of English. We had quite a bit of free time in Moscow and St. Pete, after the tours, and usually a couple of hours or so at the ports in between. One unique thing about this itinerary is that, due to the long distance traveled, there is more daytime cruising time than on other itineraries, which we rather liked. We traveled in June, which meant it was light quite late, and we sat outside after dinner and watched the forests and small towns go by.

As you also probably have read, all the ships are built by the same Russian company and look alike on the outside. We were rafted a few times and found that the Uniworld decor, while not as elegant as that on their European ships, was more upscale than the other ships we passed through. The crew was all Russian; many of the servers and stateroom attendants were university students working on their English. They were eager to please and we enjoyed their sense of humor. A couple of Russian language classes were offered during cruise time, which was fun. Of course, by now I've forgotten most of what I learned.

I would be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. My concern is it seems that time in country is not well used. The long drives and not staying in each of the cities central area make me question how practical I am being. For $10k we can stay at a lot of nice hotels, eat well and hire private guides. My wife is leaning towards the Uniworld cruise but I am still doubtful.

Thanks again for your input!

You might want to look at Gate1 Cruises to Russia. They are more reasonable in price. We did their more expensive choice last September. For about $6500 total we had a night in a wonderful Moscow hotel (we added a second night independently) that was a 20 minute walk to Red Square. Then there was the cruise to SPB and finally 2 nights in a great hotel centrally located in St Petersburg. There, we did independent as well as Gate1 tours. It was a terrific experience! Don't forget in your cost to add the Russian visa- about $300-$350 pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with 4Lakes Lady that other lines have the edge on Uniworld regarding the stays in the two cities. Some cruisers may not like the amount of cruising time, so I take Los_Pepes' concern about best use of time in country. Traveling to three our four cities and taking city tours and day excursions with private guides would, of course, eliminate climbing on and off coaches and enable you to focus on what you want to see and how much time you want to spend there. Years ago we booked a small group land tour of China, but the tour didn't fill so instead we were offered a guide and driver in the several cities we visited for the same price, and it turned out extremely well.

Having said that, this was the most relaxing cruise we have taken, except for Alaska, and we were pleased with what we saw and experienced. But then, we usually don't cruise to relax but rather to experience another part of the world.

Either way, I do hope you visit Russia, Los_Pepes.

I agree with 4Lakes Lady that other lines have the edge on Uniworld regarding the stays in the two cities. Some cruisers may not like the amount of cruising time, so I take Los_Pepes' concern about best use of time in country. Traveling to three our four cities and taking city tours and day excursions with private guides would, of course, eliminate climbing on and off coaches and enable you to focus on what you want to see and how much time you want to spend there. Years ago we booked a small group land tour of China, but the tour didn't fill so instead we were offered a guide and driver in the several cities we visited for the same price, and it turned out extremely well.

Having said that, this was the most relaxing cruise we have taken, except for Alaska, and we were pleased with what we saw and experienced. But then, we usually don't cruise to relax but rather to experience another part of the world.

Either way, I do hope you visit Russia, Los_Pepes.

Thank you for your input. I really do appreciate it!

Hi, Los_Pepes,

The actual name of the ship seems to be photoshopped out of the photos on Uniworld's site, but it seems to be Mosturflot's "Knyazhna Victoria" (ex-Griboyedov). Here is a link that you might find interesting - a series of unstaged photos from a pre-navigation Open-House event they held earlier this year: https://riverforum.net/showthread.php?t=3873

The boat seems to be in a good shape.

I am a little baffled by the price you quoted, though - if purchased directly from Mosturflot for this year's navigation, the prices for a 9-day cruise on Victoria range from roughly 800 per person to 2000 per person. Now, I'm not sure if this cruises are shared with Western tourists (Gate-1 cruises, for instance, are mixed) or Russian-only - and that, obviously, affects the excursion program and entertainment on board, but I just can't see what value Uniworld can possibly add to the itinerary to justify such a drastic markup.

Hi Wendy,

No, that doesn't seem feasible at all. There are at the very least a couple dozen very highly rated five-star hotels in each city. For instance, Viking has no problem going with Marriott Royal (ex-Ukraina) in Moscow (and charging $500 per day for $320 rooms).

On the other hand, last month there were indeed availability problems in St. Petersburg due to the annual Economic Forum, and Viking had no problem downgrading to Solo Sokos (a hotel that frankly offers nothing to write home about) - and still charging $500 :-)

Hi, Los_Pepes,

The actual name of the ship seems to be photoshopped out of the photos on Uniworld's site, but it seems to be Mosturflot's "Knyazhna Victoria" (ex-Griboyedov). Here is a link that you might find interesting - a series of unstaged photos from a pre-navigation Open-House event they held earlier this year: https://riverforum.net/showthread.php?t=3873...

Looking at the 3rd ship photo in the link, one can see the UniWorld emblem and the name River Victoria in English on the entry doors to the ship. Later there are towels in a bath room embroidered "UW". I'm convinced .

We also did Russia with Uniworld in 2012. We were expecting more of a "budget" experience as Uniworld does post (or, at least did in 2012) that they cannot guarantee that the experience would be as luxurious as a cruise in Europe. We were very pleasantly surprised.

The food was great - the staff was wonderful.. Yes, you do stay on the boat for the 3 nights in both S.P. and Moscow - and the travel time can be draining. But, we had great guides on the buses - so just took the travel as an opportunity to take in the sights.

We booked a guide through "Tours by Locals" in Moscow - and went to the Ishmaylova (? sp) flea market on our last day. We had a wonderful time - even though it poured rain for the entire day.

We enjoyed the sailing time. You do a stop - and then sail for the rest of the day. We enjoyed seeing the countryside. There was a great professor on board who gave daily lectures on Russia, the life, the history etc. If this type of cruising isn't your cup of tea, then it might be better to look for a company that offers hotels on either end and a shorter time on board.

One thing about the bus time - we *never* complain any more about traffic close to home!! :D

Fran

Hi, Los_Pepes,

The actual name of the ship seems to be photoshopped out of the photos on Uniworld's site, but it seems to be Mosturflot's "Knyazhna Victoria" (ex-Griboyedov). Here is a link that you might find interesting - a series of unstaged photos from a pre-navigation Open-House event they held earlier this year: https://riverforum.net/showthread.php?t=3873

The boat seems to be in a good shape.

I am a little baffled by the price you quoted, though - if purchased directly from Mosturflot for this year's navigation, the prices for a 9-day cruise on Victoria range from roughly 800 per person to 2000 per person. Now, I'm not sure if this cruises are shared with Western tourists (Gate-1 cruises, for instance, are mixed) or Russian-only - and that, obviously, affects the excursion program and entertainment on board, but I just can't see what value Uniworld can possibly add to the itinerary to justify such a drastic markup.

This is very helpful! Thanks so much!