Queen Anna Maria & de Grasse 2

Is there anyone out there who sailed on either of these ships in the early seventies? I've been reading up on them, and found some great info, but sadly, not many pictures. I have no pics of either of these ships. My mom must have lost them when she moved. I'd really love to see some real pics. I took the Queen Anna MAria out of Baltimore around 1970 (spring). We sailed into a huge gale on the way back. It was the only time I got sick on a ship! I took the de Grasse from San Juan or some other southern port, and sailed to Caracas among other ports in the summer of 1973. I'd love to piece this all together before I get any older and lose even more of my memories. Thanks!

QUEEN ANNA MARIA, originally EMPRESS OF BRITAIN, is amazingly still around, as THE TOPAZ. A full history of this ship with loads of photos can be seen here.

She calls at New York annually, and the World Ship Society Port of New York Branch normally organizes a tour.

DE GRASSE, built as the Norwegian BERGENSFJORD, burned and sank in Greece in 1980. Photos and history here.

BERGENSFJORD/DE GRASSE was, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful ships of all time, inside and out. Unfortunately I cannot find any interior photos of her online.

• 4 years later...

On April 19, 1970 me and my family left New York with all our belongings to Malta. I was sea sick for the 1st 3 days! The weather was just horrible! Then my Dad took us to the doctor on board, got a shot and enjoyed the next 8 days. I had so much fun! I had participated in the costume show one night. I got lost looking for my friends. Well one of them is now my sister-in-law. I remember the movie theatre, watching cartoons - it was a western hanna-barbera cartoon.We had our german shepherd boarding with us. He had a kennel up by the chimney. Our cabin was M1A. We had stopped in Azores before we got to Malta. I just found out that the Queen Anna Maria saw the same fate as its Sister the Olympia - scrapped in India. I was saddened by this but Ihave all those wonderful memories. Were you on the ship about the same time I was? Looking forward to hearing from you.:)

• 9 months later...
Is there anyone out there who sailed on either of these ships in the early seventies? I've been reading up on them, and found some great info, but sadly, not many pictures. I have no pics of either of these ships. My mom must have lost them when she moved. I'd really love to see some real pics. I took the Queen Anna MAria out of Baltimore around 1970 (spring). We sailed into a huge gale on the way back. It was the only time I got sick on a ship! I took the de Grasse from San Juan or some other southern port, and sailed to Caracas among other ports in the summer of 1973. I'd love to piece this all together before I get any older and lose even more of my memories. Thanks!

Dear msmathteacher:

I know you posted this over 5 years ago but I just stumbled on this board as I was reminiscing about my first cruise at the age of 9 on the SS De Grasse and had to respond. I have home movies which are just too wild! I can't recall what time of year but it was 1972 and probably either summer or some school vacation time. I believe we did start out in San Juan and I think we went to Caracas, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Grenada, can't remember others. I remember visiting the volcano museum in Martinique and seeing all these artifacts that were covered in lava. I remember my sister getting nauseous going up a winding mountain. I remember my dad buying a conch shell in Grenada and teaching me to blow in it. It was an awesome trip.

Wow, hard to believe it's been almost 40 years!! If anyone else traveled

at this time I'd love to hear from you. I remember meeting a lovely family (from NJ?) with a daughter who was around 13 who taught me and my sister to play a French card game called Milles Bornes.

Erica

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

"De Grasse" ex "Bergensfjord" and later "Rasa Sayang" was planed for end 1980 - undertaking Line Voyages UK - Australia and Cruising from Sydney for CTC Cruise Lines.

As all soviet ships were banned in Australian and NZ ports, due the soviet invasion in Afghanistan, CTC needed a ship for operating under "other" flag.

Unfortunately she burned during refit in Greece 1980:(

• 1 month later...

I'll dig around in my box of treasures up in the attic. I think i have a photo or two. I sailed on the QAM in 1973 on a cruise to Bermuda out of Norfolk, VA. The next year I took a cruise to Bermuda on the same ship, but in 1974 it was Carnival's "Carnivale".

• 2 years later...