How much jewelry do you take?

Anthomaniac

Okay ladies, I know that some of you are carry-on queens and some are proud over-packers, where do you fall on the packing jewelry scale? One pair of earrings for the whole cruise? a different set of jewelry for every day and evening? somewhere in-between?

Personally I like options, and I tend to pack extra jewelry so that I can make choices depending on how I feel at the time. I'm hoping to pack less this November, if for no other reason than weight of my luggage. :D

I travel with more jewelry than anybody actually needs. I'm going to try to limit it more on my cruise next summer, but it will definitely be in the middle range. There's no way I'm wearing the same pair of earrings for two weeks, but I'll probably only take one watch instead of three and fewer rings and earrings. The hardest thing to pack for me is necklaces. It's hard to keep the chains from getting tangled. I usually run them through drinking straws and then fasten them, but they're a little unwieldy and fragile to pack.

I always struggle with deciding what jewellery to take and a lot of time it just ends up with stuff getting thrown in the case at the last minute ... I try for one long necklace, one short pendant like one of my many animal ones. I have multiple piercings ...ears (3 each side), nose and eyebrow and I like to match them up somewhat. Some dangly earrings for the evening and then multiple bracelets and rings ....but I wear the rings and bracelets every day anyway so no need to pack . Thinking about it I have tons of jewellery that never sees the light of day which is a shame really ....

I pack far more jewelry for the ship than I wear on a daily basis.......because I "dress up" for dinner each night (not dress up formal, but more dressy than when I dine at my house alone). I also attach my room card to one of several bracelets that I wear each day. I've made several expandable stone bracelets to wear for just that purpose.

Not much...I wear my wedding rings, and my everyday ring on my right hand....and a necklace ALL THE TIME. I might bring a more "bling-y" necklace...and some clinky bracelets...that's about it. No one will notice or care....it's all about YOU, and what you are comfortable with.

Too much! Since I retired I often don't wear any jewelry unless I am going somewhere special. Therefore, cruising is my chance to wear jewelry that otherwise might not see the light of day. Like calliopecruiser I "dress" for dinner every night on a cruise, so about 95% of the jewelry I take is for then. During the day I may wear only earrings and a watch and maybe a ring. At a port I only wear a watch.

This..."Personally I like options, and I tend to pack extra jewelry so that I can make choices depending on how I feel at the time."

I'm leaving for Cancun for my niece's wedding a week from tomorrow and I have jewelry matched to all my outfits. :D It's all in my carry-on (not in the one piece of luggage I check).:D Can't leave home without it!

This..."Personally I like options, and I tend to pack extra jewelry so that I can make choices depending on how I feel at the time."

I'm leaving for Cancun for my niece's wedding a week from tomorrow and I have jewelry matched to all my outfits. :D It's all in my carry-on (not in the one piece of luggage I check).:D Can't leave home without it! Lots of it! LOL!

This is our first time just doing carry-on only. That said, I LOVE my jewelry. I wear a different set of earrings and a different pendant every day. I will do so as well on my 7 day cruise (part of a 10 day vacation). My jewelry takes up very little room and I have a small pouch that it goes in. I do have to say that to simplify, I will be bringing only two silver chains-in case one breaks.

This is our first time just doing carry-on only. That said, I LOVE my jewelry. I wear a different set of earrings and a different pendant every day. I will do so as well on my 7 day cruise (part of a 10 day vacation). My jewelry takes up very little room and I have a small pouch that it goes in. I do have to say that to simplify, I will be bringing only two silver chains-in case one breaks.

I use a little pouch similar to this. Except I made it myself :D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/8e/66/7e/8e667e29fc288fc59a159f47999ff512.jpg

It goes in my carry-on as well. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I made a few small jewelry bags from baby socks, adding a drawstring to close them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great idea!

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from everyone here. Only wear earrings, watch, wedding band. Don't bring anything else.

I travel with more jewelry than anybody actually needs. I'm going to try to limit it more on my cruise next summer, but it will definitely be in the middle range. There's no way I'm wearing the same pair of earrings for two weeks, but I'll probably only take one watch instead of three and fewer rings and earrings. The hardest thing to pack for me is necklaces. It's hard to keep the chains from getting tangled. I usually run them through drinking straws and then fasten them, but they're a little unwieldy and fragile to pack.

Have you tried press and seal? I use it for items that ALWAYS tangle. Works like a charm :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hardly bring any jewelry. I don't accessorize much, if at all, during the day. I might bring some bracelets to stack and maybe a necklace or two for when I dress for dinner. A couple of blingier costume pieces that match my "formal wear". That's it, tops. None of it's expensive.

I bring some costume jewelry to go with dinner outfits. Like others have stated, they rarely see the light of day, so I enjoy wearing them on cruises. I also, always have my diamond studs on but do switch them to my second holes so I can wear something dangly. I'm also bringing my good watch but I'm not sure if I should wear that in port, so I might bring a cheaper one to wear on the islands. I just need to get a new battery for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some cheap studs that I will wear during the day, along with just my wedding ring. We are in and out of the pool constantly with the kids and I couldn't bear to lose anything nice. I don't wear anything nice in Port either.

For evenings, I will take some of my Kendra Scott pieces, I have one long necklace that goes with everything and a couple of pairs of bigger earrings. I was gifted a lovely bangle set for Christmas this year that I'll probably bring too. I wear an Apple Watch usually but don't take it on vacation.

I have a diamond ring, diamond stud earrings, and a short, diamond infinity sign necklace that I wear all the time and never take off. I also have a couple of Alex & Ani bracelets and a silver chain bracelet that I frequently wear. all together.

Other than that, I have a long pendant that's a bit of a statement piece. I wear it regularly at home and it usually goes with several evening outfits so I take that, and occasionally a shorter, collar-style statement necklace and maybe one big cuff-style statement bracelet that usually works with multiple outfits. That's it. I used to take a couple other pair of earrings -maybe a pair of chandelier style or large hoops- but found I usually never bothered to take my studs out and wear them so usually don't take these anymore.

All that said, I think if one is going to overpack in any particular category, jewelry is a good one to choose. It doesn't take up much room (although large statement pieces can be heavy, so be careful with that if luggage weight is an issue) but can change the look of an outfit tremendously so it's a good option if you're minimizing outfits to wear several times each.

• 3 weeks later...

I love jewelries, my bling bling are my price possessions which are mostly costume gemstones. I stop bringing real expensive diamonds jewelries when we travel after we were pulled aside twice years ago at the airport and 2 women started opening my tote bag n starting going my jewelry box with my diamonds in it while the other woman was frisking my body with her wand doing a thorough search on me. I shouted at the other woman who was going thru my jewelries that she cannot do that while I was being frisked n search by another person. Years ago a NY immigration officer insisted that my husbands old gold clad sterling silver ring was new and was purchased in Italy while we had already claimed the max allowed on our immigration form. He made us pay $180 for that ring old tarnished ring now!

But my problem is how to minimize my jewelries I bring. My carry on had to be inspected on our recent cruise last Jan. due to all my bling bling I brought...they could not see thru xrays with all the jewels pack together. The officer claims I just brought too much bling bling but I told him we were just on a 35 nights cruise. On one occasion right before embarkation, the inspection officer also had to search mybag due to bling bling inside my carry on. I asked him what was wrong and what is he looking for. He jokingly said I just brought way too much, way too much bling bling! We're going on another 32 nights cruise next month. I have to put each of my bling bling in separate jewelry plastic bags and not conceal completely with black jewelry bags so I don't have to be stop by TSA but if it happens again...no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Okay ladies, I know that some of you are carry-on queens and some are proud over-packers, where do you fall on the packing jewelry scale? One pair of earrings for the whole cruise? a different set of jewelry for every day and evening? somewhere in-between?

Personally I like options, and I tend to pack extra jewelry so that I can make choices depending on how I feel at the time. I'm hoping to pack less this November, if for no other reason than weight of my luggage. :D

Just what I wear on the ship.... I do take a cheap watch to wear on excursions. That's it and that's all you really need.