Hotel groundbreaking in St. George's

Charles4515

Is that the site where there once was a hotel (a long time ago) and then it became a Club Med and then it was torn down and the land has been sitting vacant for several years? You'd walk past it if you walked from St George's Sq to Tobacco Bay.

Is that the site where there once was a hotel (a long time ago) and then it became a Club Med and then it was torn down and the land has been sitting vacant for several years? You'd walk past it if you walked from St George's Sq to Tobacco Bay.

Yes, it was a Holiday Inn, then lastly a Club Med before it was demolished. A large footprint but there will be public beach access after it is completed.

e76889c36058ccefac6d7543163118ce.jpg

Something in my memory recalls a statement by the hotel developer some months ago promising they would maintain beach access during the construction.

I recall the developer saying that there would be public access after the hotel opened. But it might be as you remember. If it is open during construction the impact of the construction, noise, etc., would cause me shy away from that beach until the construction was finished.

• 1 month later...
I welcome the hotel and the new options in the East End.

I will, however, forever miss the clean historical vista of Fort Catherine, about to be dwarfed by progress.

335295_300285889982687_642787527_o.jpg?oh=62e6899e92eac26f70527dabd39c160f&oe=59CA8753

Some historical info, that vista was from 2008 when the 10 story abandoned Club Med on the site was imploded. That hotel was built in 1973 as I believe a Holiday Inn (don't know what if any thing was on the site before 1973) and was supposed to have been replaced immediately with a new hotel but financing fell through. So the progress is restoring a hotel on the site.

Edited by Charles4515