Recent Men O' War and Jellyfish

Barb Nahoumi

Hi,

We plan to arrive in Bermuda on the Dawn this week. Just wondering if there has been any recent incidents of Portuguese Men O' War or other Jellyfish on the beaches.

I know that they can be unpredictable, but "Tis the season."

We were out on a catamaran last Friday and for the first time since we've been coming to Bermuda, saw many jellyfish stings!

At least 5 people were stung in different areas of the water. It was crazy! However my dh and I were snorkeling and didn't get stung. I did get out of the water quickly once I heard people complaining of getting stung!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I was out on the Restless Native last week, a couple of us were stung by a Medusa -- it looked like a small jellyfish to me. Our Captain Xander went out and caught the beast in a bucket, but I'm sure there are more in the Bermuda waters somewhere.

Hi,

We plan to arrive in Bermuda on the Dawn this week. Just wondering if there has been any recent incidents of Portuguese Men O' War or other Jellyfish on the beaches.

I know that they can be unpredictable, but "Tis the season."

There have been no additional reports in either epaper of Portuguese Men O' War or Jellyfish on the beaches since the initial report on 5/1.

SBtS

While I was out on the Restless Native last week, a couple of us were stung by a Medusa -- it looked like a small jellyfish to me. Our Captain Xander went out and caught the beast in a bucket, but I'm sure there are more in the Bermuda waters somewhere.

That's what happened on Rising Son as well.

They were as shocked as we were that so many got stung.

Even once they had the one they thought was responsible, several other people on different sides of the boat were stung.

We did not however see any washed up on the beach when we were there earlier in the week.

We have in the past around this time

Of the year.

There have been no additional reports in either epaper of Portuguese Men O' War or Jellyfish on the beaches since the initial report on 5/1.

SBtS

So, are you saying they aren't there? We were at Horseshoe Bay on Monday this week and we saw several. One man got stung by what I assume was a man o war and the staff was helping him rinse it in a bucket with baking soda when we walked out. We also saw one floating by in the water on Sunday near the dockyard. They are definitely still around and if people keep an eye out and use some common sense their chances of being stung will be greatly reduced. I can't help but wonder if the man who was stung touched one of the Man of war we saw on the beach. The other one appeared dead and I picked it up with a stick and threw it away.

So, are you saying they aren't there? We were at Horseshoe Bay on Monday this week and we saw several. One man got stung by what I assume was a man o war and the staff was helping him rinse it in a bucket with baking soda when we walked out. We also saw one floating by in the water on Sunday near the dockyard. They are definitely still around and if people keep an eye out and use some common sense their chances of being stung will be greatly reduced. I can't help but wonder if the man who was stung touched one of the Man of war we saw on the beach. The other one appeared dead and I picked it up with a stick and threw it away.

All I said was there no further reports in the Royal Gazette and Bernews of Portuguese Men O' War or Jellyfish on the South Shore beaches. If articles are not published then recent returnees have to post to this forum their experience.

SBtS

That's what happened on Rising Son as well.

They were as shocked as we were that so many got stung.

Even once they had the one they thought was responsible, several other people on different sides of the boat were stung.

We did not however see any washed up on the beach when we were there earlier in the week.

We have in the past around this time

Of the year.

Even if you only see one in the area, they usually swim in large swarms, so you need to be careful. Seeing a few on the sand, could mean lots more in the water. This trip, I just swam in the ship's pool.

Thanks for your replies.