Least Crowded Beach?

SunFunCruiser

There are only 2 public beaches that have facilities - Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay.

Tobacco Bay is near St George's and is small when compared to HSB. TB is popular with snorkelers because it is shallow and protected.

Horseshoe Bay is the most popular beach, and it does get crowded. If you walk northeast along the beach, the crowds thin out but it moves you away from the amenities.

If you want amenities, those 2 beaches are your only choices unless you are willing to buy a day pass for a private resort; and there are only 2 private resorts that offer day passes.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Snorkel Park Beach which is in walking distance from the cruise ship. It is a man made beach and there is an entry fee, but it is convenient to the cruise ships.

SBtS

Any beach with facilities will be crowded, and the least crowded is probably that way for a reason.

When we stayed across the road from Warwick Long Bay about 5 yrs ago we were virtually the only couple there while HB and Tobacco were swamped with cruisers. There was a food truck and restrooms then, not sure what is there now? And I am curious as we're planning another visit.

Gorgeous beach and close to JC which was also quiet that particular week.

We also enjoyed Elbow by ourselves often.

Thank you. Coco is sold out. I think the other is on Elbow Beach.

Have you ever been to Warwick long bay beach? I wonder what a cab to go there would be?

The cab fare to Warwick Bay from the Dockyard for up to 4 passengers is about $35 plus tip, weekday and Saturday travel.

SBtS

Thank you. Coco is sold out. I think the other is on Elbow Beach.

Have you ever been to Warwick long bay beach? I wonder what a cab to go there would be?

The other is Elbow Beach Resort. Both resorts are on Elbow Beach.

Warwick Long Bay has porta potties type toilets and a food truck. Besides a cab you can take the public bus.

Horseshoe is crowded by the facilities but if you walk to the other side you can get away from the crowd. Photo below are at Horseshoe. Most though hang by the facilities by choice.

4a4f259997a62601b1d274026ed23d94.jpg

19d89cd0756863b1c3275b3743332480.jpg

WLB is our favorite!

Charles, the reason it's not crowded is because there are no chair rentals. I hope that is still the case?!

I never have seen any there but from time to time someone reports here chairs being rented. I think the reason it is less crowded is that there are no facilities. There are some basic bathrooms to dump and pee in but there are no changing rooms, showers and the like. The reason I asked about chair rentals were seen is not because I am advocating them. It is for information. Same for the food. To find out the current situation. Some people seem to expect that things don't change. That what they found five years ago will be the same today. So they post there are chairs for rent. But that may or may not be the case. Maybe someone does it on their weekend or days off. Which would account for some reporting chairs for rent that others have never found to be the case.

Often people ask for a beach with facilities that is not crowded. That is an oxymoron. Facilities draw crowds.

Edited by Charles4515

I never have seen any there but from time to time someone reports here chairs being rented. I think the reason it is less crowded is that there are no facilities. There are some basic bathrooms to dump and pee in but there are no changing rooms, showers and the like. The reason I asked about chair rentals were seen is not because I am advocating them. It is for information. Same for the food. To find out the current situation. Some people seem to expect that things don't change. That what they found five years ago will be the same today. So they post there are chairs for rent. But that may or may not be the case. Maybe someone does it on their weekend or days off. Which would account for some reporting chairs for rent that others have never found to be the case.

Often people ask for a beach with facilities that is not crowded. That is an oxymoron. Facilities draw crowds.

Well, sorry for the "oxymoron" comment. I was just asking. I do not know Bermuda well. It's not true here in FL. We have lots of beaches with facilities that aren't crowed. In fact I have been to many islands where some beaches are more crowded than others and all have facilities. Usually due to location or just not being as well known.

Well, sorry for the "oxymoron" comment. I was just asking. I do not know Bermuda well. It's not true here in FL. We have lots of beaches with facilities that aren't crowed. In fact I have been to many islands where some beaches are more crowded than others and all have facilities. Usually due to location or just not being as well known.

It wasn't meant to you in particular. Many have posted asking for a non crowded beach with facilities. At Horseshoe Bay people can get away from the crowd. The crowd plops down close to the facilities anyway. Even then Horseshoe is not as crowded as many beaches I have been to in the Northeast. All it takes is a walk to the other end of the beach and it is not that crowded there. Sometimes almost empty. People seem to want to be with the crowd.

Charles I wasn't confused with your question. Typically the beaches with the most cruise ship crowds on BDM or any other island are those with amenities, and that includes lounge rentals and food and restrooms, some more rustic than others. With the limited amenities at WLB, day visitors can look forward to sharing the beach with fewer fellow passengers and maybe a few locals or land visitors.

Cheryl you made a good choice with the day pass for your group, much more enjoyable than a day at Horseshoe or Tobacco IMHO, and you have indoor facilities there if the weather threatens. But plan on a beautiful day!

Charles I wasn't confused with your question. Typically the beaches with the most cruise ship crowds on BDM or any other island are those with amenities, and that includes lounge rentals and food and restrooms, some more rustic than others. With the limited amenities at WLB, day visitors can look forward to sharing the beach with fewer fellow passengers and maybe a few locals or land visitors.

Cheryl you made a good choice with the day pass for your group, much more enjoyable than a day at Horseshoe or Tobacco IMHO, and you have indoor facilities there if the weather threatens. But plan on a beautiful day!

The day pass she purchased at Elbow Beach includes a chair and umbrella, restrooms, changing rooms, and access to Mickeys Bistro. Not really access to indoor facilities.

I don't think the day passes are a good choice in Bermuda but to each their own. Horseshoe is very enjoyable. Plus it is more beautiful than Elbow. I have been to Elbow and prefer Horseshoe.

The day pass she purchased at Elbow Beach includes a chair and umbrella, restrooms, changing rooms, and access to Mickeys Bistro. Not really access to indoor facilities.

I don't think the day passes are a good choice in Bermuda but to each their own. Horseshoe is very enjoyable. Plus it is more beautiful than Elbow. I have been to Elbow and prefer Horseshoe.

LOL! To the each their own for sure Charles, chill man! Let Cheryl enjoy the plans she's made for her group, give her credit for dong that. And yes, if there is a shower there is cover in Mickey's. And HB would be the last recommendation based on the request.

These forums are here to help with questions and give guidance, not to criticize another's choices...

LOL! To the each their own for sure Charles, chill man! Let Cheryl enjoy the plans she's made for her group, give her credit for dong that. And yes, if there is a shower there is cover in Mickey's. And HB would be the last recommendation based on the request.

These forums are here to help with questions and give guidance, not to criticize another's choices...

Certainly we can express our opinions on these forums. It is after all called Cruise Critic....

Certainly we can express our opinions on these forums. It is after all called Cruise Critic....

Perfect response!! Your insight and experience are invaluable to so many of us visiting Bermuda and we value your opinions..

I appreciate any help. Like I said, I opted for EB day pass because it's easy and will have parents in tow. I really wanted COCO.

Day 2 hubby and myself will just rent some mopeds and tool around. I like beaches but I live on a beautiful one, so it's not a huge deal to find the perfect one, I just needed convenience and lower crowds with them.

Charles, you're missing the point. Cheryl was initially asking for the least crowded beach and that would not be HB for obvious reasons. Because she is with her parents she decided to choose a day pass at Elbow for that day which is a nice option. I read your response telling her that would not be your choice, you don't think that day passes are a good idea in Bermuda, and that you much prefer HB over Elbow (even though it's the most crowded beach). These are your opinions, and they are certainly welcomed when someone is asking for them. In this case Cheryl has already made a choice, and you are essentially criticizing her choice rather than dropping it. Just wish her family a nice trip and let it go.

Sorry if that seems critical to you or renjrusa, but there is a point when opinions are more aggravating than helpful. And that's just my opinion. :halo:

Charles, you're missing the point. Cheryl was initially asking for the least crowded beach and that would not be HB for obvious reasons. Because she is with her parents she decided to choose a day pass at Elbow for that day which is a nice option. I read your response telling her that would not be your choice, you don't think that day passes are a good idea in Bermuda, and that you much prefer HB over Elbow (even though it's the most crowded beach). These are your opinions, and they are certainly welcomed when someone is asking for them. In this case Cheryl has already made a choice, and you are essentially criticizing her choice rather than dropping it. Just wish her family a nice trip and let it go.

Sorry if that seems critical to you or renjrusa, but there is a point when opinions are more aggravating than helpful. And that's just my opinion. :halo:

No, you are missing the point. I was replying to your opinion that a day pass was much more enjoyable than a day at Horseshoe at Tobacco. I never responded or replied to Cheryl about her choice to do the day pass. I responded to your opinion which I don't agree with. You are stirring the pot by saying my disagreement with your opinion is criticizing her choice.

Just an FYI - there is a public (free) portion of Elbow Beach between the Elbow Beach resort and Coral Beach & Tennis Club. There are porta potty type facilities and you can eat in the Restaurants (Mickey's) at Elbow Beach - do be aware they are pricey. Sometimes there is a guy renting snorkel equipment and other items - but not always, so you're taking a chance. This can be reached via the South Rd, #7 bus or taxi. Tribe Rd #4B will get you from the South Rd to the beach.

We love Warwick Long Bay for the unspoiled stretch of nature, but we don't swim there, because we fly in and stay and the place we stay has a beach right there. I think WLB has porta-potties as well - and sometimes a food truck.

If you don't mind a ferry ride and a bus ride, you can head out to St George, and then Clearwater Beach. There's a restaurant & bar there called Goombey's - I don't know if they rent chairs, but they do have a bathroom and a bar - what more do you need :)

Yes when we stay in BDM after WLB the public section of Elbow is our favorite spot. It's typically rougher there and there are few people there.

But I think Cheryl made a great choice for the day with amenities and no big crowds like HB.

No, you are missing the point. I was replying to your opinion that a day pass was much more enjoyable than a day at Horseshoe at Tobacco. I never responded or replied to Cheryl about her choice to do the day pass. I responded to your opinion which I don't agree with. You are stirring the pot by saying my disagreement with your opinion is criticizing her choice.

Charles you were continuing to give your opinions after the choice was made which is not good. And yes I disagree with both of your opinions but that is my opinion, and that has no bearing here anyway because no further advice was being requested and that was the point. Sometimes it's time to let it go...:rolleyes:

I'm sorry that you're not understanding that and you can accuse me and that's fine. But enough already...;)

Cheryl hope you enjoy your cruise and your day at Elbow. We like the public section a short walk away because it's usually very quiet.