Age of European River Cruises ??? Honeymoon

Masks38

Hi just wandering if European River Cruises were more directed at seniors, would it be a good trip for a honeymoon, I ask as I just got an email blast about free flight.

Thanks

We had a young couple on our Rhine Getaway. They were in their 20's and seemed to be having a great time. Though most passengers were older, they were all active and young at heart. I thought the young couple seemed right at home. We had several conversations with them.

Go for it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Hi just wandering if European River Cruises were more directed at seniors, would it be a good trip for a honeymoon, I ask as I just got an email blast about free flight.

Thanks

We've had couples in their 60s and in their 80s on their honeymoons on a couple of our cruises.

Thanks

We had honeymooners and soon to be honeymooners on our Uniworld cruise this spring-they had no trouble fitting in

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had honeymooners and soon to be honeymooners on our Uniworld cruise this spring-they had no trouble fitting in

Robin

Same with us last summer on a Uniworld cruise on the Rhone. They seemed to be having a wonderful time.

Not sure what you're looking for that is honeymoon specific. Rhine Castles is a romantic itinerary. Emerald (sailing now) and U by Uniworld (starting in 2018) are newer cruise lines aimed at younger passengers. But no river cruise has the kind of entertainment that the ocean cruise lines think younger passengers want. River cruises have lots of scenery, no "sea days," and few onboard activities -- but that can translate into interesting sightseeing days followed by alone-time in the evening -- sounds like a honeymoon to me, but YMMV.

Good morning, Honeymooners and River Cruises don't necessarily have to be exclusive of each other. Both may have

all ages linked to them:D. Honeymooners can be all different ages.

I took my first River Cruise last year and found some folks may have been older but not all........not sure what is considered

a Senior anymore......seriously.........I am 59 and still work fulltime......am I a Sr? I love to travel and the River Cruise was

AWESOME:D I think it depends on what you enjoy doing...River Cruising is alot of sightseeing, some wonderful food

and excellent service.....if you are looking for the "Big Shows" of ocean cruising and lots of "pool games"..........that is

not River Cruising.

Wishing you a very Happy Honeymoon.........people of all ages can make for an interesting experience........:)

Thanks

river cruises suit many people and age seems less important.

people of all ages enjoy a trip that maybe also their honeymoon.

in fact some are lucky enough to say the honeymoon never ends as they live their lives together.

only you will know if this trip will meet your expectation. we all have different requirements around activity/privacy on a trip. enjoy whatever you do decide.

I am always the youngest person on the boat, and expect that to continue for another decade or two (unless I try U by Uniworld). But river cruising suits my preferences and I enjoy conversation with people that have more life experience. I'm going on my third river cruise next month :)

river cruises suit many people and age seems less important.

people of all ages enjoy a trip that maybe also their honeymoon.

in fact some are lucky enough to say the honeymoon never ends as they live their lives together.

only you will know if this trip will meet your expectation. we all have different requirements around activity/privacy on a trip. enjoy whatever you do decide.

ITA...

We are in our mid-40's and we loved our river cruise (we were on the younger side of things on our cruise but not the youngest and to be honest it was a complete non-issue to us). Everyone is different. My husband and I really liked the smaller number of people, smaller ship, more personalized experience of river cruising. To each their own.

Do your research...know what to expect etc I think a river cruise could be a wonderful honeymoon option (just depends on the people, expectations etc obviously). You could extend the honeymoon with pre-cruise or post-cruise traveling.

I am always the youngest person on the boat, and expect that to continue for another decade or two (unless I try U by Uniworld). But river cruising suits my preferences and I enjoy conversation with people that have more life experience. I'm going on my third river cruise next month :)

What hotel in Paris did you book? I am trying to get suggestions since it will be my 1st time there. I am going on a river cruise in August. Thanks!

Thanks

Not necessarily directed at seniors but river cruises are very structured. Don't know if honeymooners want to wake up and be out the door at 9:00 am each morning. Also, not very many tables for 2, which cruiseline were you considering?

Not necessarily directed at seniors but river cruises are very structured. Don't know if honeymooners want to wake up and be out the door at 9:00 am each morning. Also, not very many tables for 2, which cruiseline were you considering?

Some itineraries are less structured than others. Scenic has a GPS that comes in handy when exploring on your own, which we do about half the time versus the included excursions.

If you need a lot of onboard activities then I do not think river cruising is for you. Whether you would enjoy the experience IMO depends on exactly what your expectations area. Why are you considering a river cruise? I would not choose it just for a free flight.

You may want to look at a theme cruise that is of interest. We have been on 4 wine cruises with AMA and really enjoy the demographic and extra inclusions and activities offered on those sailings.

If you want a line with flexible dining and tables for 2 check out Uniworld, Scenic. Really study the itinerary to understand how much time you will have in port. We like lots of port time and overnights as well so we can get out after dinner and walk around, find a local pub or wine bar and enjoy the culture as much as possible. Others don't leave the boat after dinner.

We are always among the youngest and took our first 9 years ago. AMA suits us best as they offer a wide range of excursions, and have active options in almost every port. Quality food and service are high on our list and AMA delivers both, with consistently warm and gracious staff and crew. We also find their evening entertainment more diverse and appealing than the other lines we have sailed with.

What hotel in Paris did you book? I am trying to get suggestions since it will be my 1st time there. I am going on a river cruise in August. Thanks!

Our hotel choices were largely dictated by our available hotel points and status with chains. I had a lot of Marriott/Starwood points, so my husband and I are staying at the Renaissance Vendome, where we will get free breakfast and a room upgrade for 240 Euros + points for 4 nights. My parents had 4 Hyatt free night certificates, so they're staying at the Park Hyatt Vendome.

Thanks

Even with the free flights, it will still be more expensive than doing a similar itinerary on land and you will be honeymooning with however many other people are on your ship. There won't be any mornings to linger in bed as you will have to get up and get showered and have your breakfast in order to go on the included tour every single day. No one lounges by the pools on these cruises as there isn't time. Basically the day goes: get up, shower, dress, breakfast, back to cabin, grab supplies for the day, get off ship, get on bus, tour, get on bus go back to ship, eat lunch, get off ship get on bus tour, get on bus get on ship, go to meeting about the next day, dinner, there might be a local entertainer or music in the lounge, go to bed and do it all again the next day. These cruises are fairly structured and kind of like doing a bus tour except your hotel floats on the river as you go along. These cruises are great if you understand what they are like going into it, but for a honeymoon, I"d rather do something more personal and super romantic such as stay in a villa in Tuscany and drive around various places in Italy at our own pace, go on a small ship for a cruise in the Med, stay on St. Lucia in a luxury resort such as Jade Mountain. I'd rather eat in Michelin starred restaurants on land and explore quaint villages on our own.

On our Uniworld Rhine cruise, ages ranged from 28 to 94 but most were in their 60's and 70's.

We honeymooned on the Rhine last year at ages 28 & 32, respectively. We had a fabulous time and booked another river cruise for this coming November. We are both very active and didn't find the pace too slow. Ocean cruises aren't our thing, so the lack of late night bells and whistles presented no problem.

We had a young couple, in their 20's on our Rhine cruise. They 100% did their "own thing." They rarely did the included tours, often opting to take the shuttle, check on the meeting point, and then go off on their own. At dinner, sometimes they would dine alone, sometimes they would dine with others. They were in the lounge every night, and were enjoying their version of the cruise.

We had a young couple, in their 20's on our Rhine cruise. They 100% did their "own thing." They rarely did the included tours, often opting to take the shuttle, check on the meeting point, and then go off on their own. At dinner, sometimes they would dine alone, sometimes they would dine with others. They were in the lounge every night, and were enjoying their version of the cruise.

Yes, this is definitely an alternate way to do a river cruise. The OP just needs to understand that if they do this, they have paid for tours they will not be taking, but if they want to do that, it's fine. I have read some charming blogs where the couple decided to do foodie tours of each town and did their own research, got off the ship in the morning and didn't get back on until it was time for the ship to leave, meanwhile, they went to all kinds of food shops and restaurants and wineries and places where olive oil and vinegar are made. They had a fabulous time! The only thing to be aware of if this couple decides to do something like that is that sometimes the river ship moves during the day, so they need to get a phone number for the ship to take with them and also ask where the ship will be when it is time to get back onboard.

Not sure what you're looking for that is honeymoon specific. Rhine Castles is a romantic itinerary. Emerald (sailing now) and U by Uniworld (starting in 2018) are newer cruise lines aimed at younger passengers. But no river cruise has the kind of entertainment that the ocean cruise lines think younger passengers want. River cruises have lots of scenery, no "sea days," and few onboard activities -- but that can translate into interesting sightseeing days followed by alone-time in the evening -- sounds like a honeymoon to me, but YMMV.

Thank you I'll have to check out uni world my soon to be isn't big on huge crowds so River Cruises might be more appealing to him than the big ocean liner I've done to cruises to the Caribbean already on my own, we're much older than 20. I've read online with Cruise Critic had info about River Cruises and what they are about I just want to know what the difference really is between the big liners and a river cruise I think I might enjoy it I think we enjoy the laid-back atmosphere

Thank you everyone for your input the next year we get married 2018 June I'll be 48 he'll be 51 so we're not that young. I've done the party cruises in the past don't need to do that my dream cruise was a Mediterranean Cruise till I search the prices of the flights wow but I like the idea of seeing different places every day and he's really into history and War thanks I think we might consider this

Thank you everyone for your input the next year we get married 2018 June I'll be 48 he'll be 51 so we're not that young. I've done the party cruises in the past don't need to do that my dream cruise was a Mediterranean Cruise till I search the prices of the flights wow but I like the idea of seeing different places every day and he's really into history and War thanks I think we might consider this

With that added information, I think you might enjoy river cruising very much -- honeymoon or not. For those who like it, it becomes addicting!

Hi Jazz, I was thinking the same thing:) and I think I am finally going to book my 2nd River Cruise:D....I have to now

decide if I want to go back on AMA or give Uniworld a try.

Hi Jazz, I was thinking the same thing:) and I think I am finally going to book my 2nd River Cruise:D....I have to now

decide if I want to go back on AMA or give Uniworld a try.

Well Lois, if you were able to cruise at the end of the month, you could do the same cruise as us! (Romantic Danube 3/23)

And, I agree, with regard to the OP-a river cruise is a great choice! Lots of WWII history on many itineraries.

Robin

Well Lois, if you were able to cruise at the end of the month, you could do the same cruise as us! (Romantic Danube 3/23)

And, I agree, with regard to the OP-a river cruise is a great choice! Lots of WWII history on many itineraries.

Robin

Hi Robin, wish I could but that is a definite NO GO:rolleyes:....that damn W O R K thing always gets in the way at month end:eek: