New to Oceania

northerngirls

My partner and I are looking at the Panama Canal cruise in may 2018 on Regatta. Few questions...

I understand the dress code for daytime...what about evenings? Is there a formal night?

Can anyone tell me about their experience with either drink package?

And we are interested in the penthouse suites...any tips?

TIA. Looking forward to planning this cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No formal nights

you can wear elegant casual, business casual (if you dress for work)

like collared shirt & dockers for men

Ladies a nice pr of slacks, dress or skirt with a nice top sparkle not required

There are several threads on the dress code

Beverage package

House select is wine by the glass & beer with lunch & dinner

Prestige package is wine by the glass beer spirits ..anytime anywhere

lots of threads on this topic also

Penthouse cabins have slightly more space than veranda cabins, and they are on the higher decks. The bathrooms are nicer, with marble-like tubs. You are allowed more reservations at the specialty restaurants. You have a butler - who will make reservations at specialty restaurants for you, bring appetizers in the afternoon, be available within minutes if you need something taken care of. The daily gratuities are slightly higher in a penthouse.

We usually have a regular balcony, but on our last cruise (Regatta - Amazon 2016), we had a penthouse at a discounted price. We really liked it - but I would probably not pay a lot extra to have a penthouse cabin over a balcony.

We really like Oceania - the food is amazing, and the ambiance is relaxed, but a bit upscale.

Can anyone tell me about their experience with either drink package?

It is written in their descriptions, but people seem to gloss over the House Select Package only providing beer or wine during meals.

If you enjoy mixed drinks, or intend to imbibe away from the dining table, the Prestige Package is the only real choice.

On Olife Cruises, if you choose the Select Package as your benefit, you'll have the option of paying $20pp per day to upgrade to Prestige

We had our first experience on Oceania Riveria a few months back. We thoroughly enjoyed out time aboard.

I had the prestige drink package and was able to have anything I wanted, anytime. While this is no big deal for many, I like premium spirits and am on vacations so, perhaps I may have imbibed more than usual but, I liked it :)

We had a penthouse suite and to be honest, did not think it was any better than our friends "regular" cabin. We did get to book out specialty restaurant reservations earlier (but I do not believe you get extras).

There are no formal nights but in the specialty restaurants and main dining room you need to dress "country club casual", meaning no shorts, t-shirts for men and for women, well, I am never sure as I saw lots of variations.In the Terrace Cafe, it seemed you could wear pretty well anything excluding bathing suits and cover ups. I never saw anyone turned away.

The ship is very well maintained and the crew exceptional. The food is outstanding. I must say, Rivieria has been the smallest ship we have cruised on and Regatta is smaller so, any "rough" weather can be felt and a cabin amidships would be your best selection.

We had a penthouse suite and to be honest, did not think it was any better than our friends "regular" cabin. We did get to book out specialty restaurant reservations earlier (but I do not believe you get extras).

I am not sure how you can say that.

PH is 420 sq ft and a veranda cabin is 282 sq ft. PHs have walk in closets, larger BR and showers, butler service and ability (and space) to dine en suite from any specialty restaurant - among other features.

Here are the amenities that come with a PH:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/penthouse-suite/

and these come with a veranda:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/veranda-stateroom/

As for dining reservations, on cruises over 18 days PHs get extra reservations over "regular" cabins (and with the ability to dine en suite you can have any number of extra meals from the specialties):

Penthouse Suite

Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Whether these extras are worth the difference in price is an individual decision but PH is NOT the same as a "regular" cabin, IMO..

We had our first experience on Oceania Riveria a few months back. We thoroughly enjoyed out time aboard.

I had the prestige drink package and was able to have anything I wanted, anytime. While this is no big deal for many, I like premium spirits and am on vacations so, perhaps I may have imbibed more than usual but, I liked it :)

There are no formal nights but in the specialty restaurants and main dining room you need to dress "country club casual", meaning no shorts, t-shirts for men and for women, well, I am never sure as I saw lots of variations.In the Terrace Cafe, it seemed you could wear pretty well anything excluding bathing suits and cover ups. I never saw anyone turned away.

The ship is very well maintained and the crew exceptional. The food is outstanding. I must say, Rivieria has been the smallest ship we have cruised on and Regatta is smaller so, any "rough" weather can be felt and a cabin amidships would be your best selection.

Just booked the Riviera for January 2019. Our first cruise on Oceania.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sailed on Regatta thru Panama Canal two years ago. We loved it.

Had the House Select package earlier this year. We had a cocktail in our cabin while getting ready for dinner (you can bring liquor on board). We enjoyed having wine with dinner and lunch. Some posters have said the wine stewards only gave one glass then disappeared but we did not experience that--they returned and offered a second glass on our trip. We do not drink much, so this was sufficient for us.

PH is 420 sq ft and a veranda cabin is 282 sq ft. PHs have walk in closets, larger BR and showers, butler service and ability (and space) to dine en suite from any specialty restaurant - among other features.

Here are the amenities that come with a PH:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/penthouse-suite/

and these come with a veranda:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/veranda-stateroom/

As for dining reservations, on cruises over 18 days PHs get extra reservations over "regular" cabins (and with the ability to dine en suite you can have any number of extra meals from the specialties):

Penthouse Suite

Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Whether these extras are worth the difference in price is an individual decision but PH is NOT the same as a "regular" cabin, IMO..

On Regatta, the penthouse suites are 322 sq feet. maybe you were on Marina or Sirena? I stand by my statement that they are not that much larger. Also - they do not have walk-in closets on Regatta.

On Regatta, the penthouse suites are 322 sq feet. maybe you were on Marina or Sirena? I stand by my statement that they are not that much larger. Also - they do not have walk-in closets on Regatta.

Regular cabins on the R ships are 165 sq ft 216 including the balcony

You get more perks with the PH

it is a trade off & what works best for you

You are correct about Regatta.

However, my post that you quoted was in reply to pete_coach who was on Riviera. Thus the measurements I posted referred to Riviera and not Regatta; and PHs on Riviera do have walk in closets and are significantly larger than regular cabins (420 sq ft vs 282 sq ft - a full 1/2 times as large)

We sailed on Riviera last year. It was lovely. We had a concierge balcony cabin. It was perfect for us. Bathroom was the biggest we have had on a ship with bath tub with shower over it as well as a separate shower unit. Lovely toiletries provided.

Not sure if you need this, but there is a token operated laundry available. I think it was $2 per token and a wash takes one token, same for dryer.

We had the drinks package included, just the drinks with meals, but that suited us fine. We had taken wine on board and ended up leaving it with our room steward.

Would definitely book another Oceania cruise.

I assume with either drink package the wine included is a house wine and not bottles. Can anyone tell me what the house wines are? And with the premium package are you given a different or more selection of wine by the glass?

I assume with either drink package the wine included is a house wine and not bottles. Can anyone tell me what the house wines are? And with the premium package are you given a different or more selection of wine by the glass?

No bottles in either package

you can see the sample menu at

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/beverage-packages/

subject to change but you get a rough idea of the wine by the glass selections

same wine selection for both packages

And with the premium package are you given a different or more selection of wine by the glass?

Negative.

The selection of wines is identical with either Package, i.e. one may choose from any wine which is served "by the glass" in any of the bars.

PH is 420 sq ft and a veranda cabin is 282 sq ft. PHs have walk in closets, larger BR and showers, butler service and ability (and space) to dine en suite from any specialty restaurant - among other features........

Well, that was my opinion as I saw it.

A very small table at the foot of the bed does not constitute a dining table and I would not want to eat a leisurely meal from a specialty restaurant there.

Butler MEH

Closets seemed fine

Never said it was the same, I said "did not think it was any better than our friends "regular" cabin"

I realize you are devastated any time anyone says anything about Oceania that you don't agree with. Sorry about my opinion but it is what it is. :)