Dog on ship

I am recently returned from a Harmony of the Seas cruise on which a family (seemed to be 6 or 7 people) had a very small dog, I think a Yorkie, which one or the other of them carried all over the ship. I did not know any but service dogs were allowed on cruise ships and this dog was doing no service except being cute. So what gives?

I am recently returned from a Harmony of the Seas cruise on which a family (seemed to be 6 or 7 people) had a very small dog, I think a Yorkie, which one or the other of them carried all over the ship. I did not know any but service dogs were allowed on cruise ships and this dog was doing no service except being cute. So what gives?

They probably went online and were able to get the documentation to declare him a service dog. Hence they were allowed to bring him onboard. This has been happening quite a bit in recent years.

There are so many service dogs. It could have been of some sort you are not familiar with.

Or I suppose if one was skeptical... it could be someone taking advantage of the service dog policy and had false documentation of it being a service dog.

And maybe it actually really was.......
One of the least externally obvious forms of service dogs are those that alert someone who has a hearing impairment to sounds. Perhaps this was one of those.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I didn't realize the "service pets" had made it to the cruise ships. I work for a major airline and its totally out of control. It is to the point that it is ruining it for the folks that truely need a service animal (a real service animal...not a pet).

I didn't realize the "service pets" had made it to the cruise ships. I work for a major airline and its totally out of control. It is to the point that it is ruining it for the folks that truely need a service animal (a real service animal...not a pet).

I feel for you. I've seen actual pics of the so-called service pets people have brought on planes. Unbelievable.

I know of someone who had a small dog that alerts them when a seizure is about to happen. I have no idea how the dog knows, but that is really not the point.

The point is, there are legitimate service animals for many things. However, many...unfortunately my cousin is one...go online and get certificates for "emotional support animals" (that is what my cousin has) but they have never been under treatment for emotional issues, seen a doctor for emotional issues, been in ad hoc group sessions for emotional issues or, in any other form or setting, have been thought to have emotional issues. Those are the problem people.

In my opinion airlines, cruise lines, trains, hotels, etc. should require something from a doctor and there should be a requirement of documentation that a certified trainer has performed specific and specialized training that enables the animal to provide the assistance a doctor said was needed.

I know of someone who had a small dog that alerts them when a seizure is about to happen. I have no idea how the dog knows, but that is really not the point.

The point is, there are legitimate service animals for many things. However, many...unfortunately my cousin is one...go online and get certificates for "emotional support animals" (that is what my cousin has) but they have never been under treatment for emotional issues, seen a doctor for emotional issues, been in ad hoc group sessions for emotional issues or, in any other form or setting, have been thought to have emotional issues. Those are the problem people.

In my opinion airlines, cruise lines, trains, hotels, etc. should require something from a doctor and there should be a requirement of documentation that a certified trainer has performed specific and specialized training that enables the animal to provide the assistance a doctor said was needed.

Absolutely agree.

True service animals are welcome in my world. Unfortunately, it is difficult to profile service animal "posers" and their dishonest owners. Who am I to judge? But I am certainly willing to hire someone else to be the judge. Obviously, there needs to be a single certification board granting credentials rather than 150 web sites that provide said credentials. If the public had confidence in the system, then the public would easily accept service animals. Right now, it is trending towards hostile future. Its never too late to improve the system. Call your politicians.... again.

Unfortunately, there is no national standard documentation such as a passport. Since the travel person can not possibly be an expert on all forms of doctor permission slips and be able to spot forgeries, we need one standard form of identification. A service animal passport of sorts.

Please, please use caution when judging what might or might not be a service animal and who may need it.

My son served in Iraq and Afghanistan and has severe PTSD and yes he does have a emotional support dog that is a pit bull but has been trained to help with his anxiety attacks. Unfortunately because of individuals that have trained that breed to be mean he is unable to travel with his dog.

Yes there are those who take advantage but you never know what someone has been through.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please, please use caution when judging what might or might not be a service animal and who may need it.

My son served in Iraq and Afghanistan and has severe PTSD and yes he does have a emotional support dog that is a pit bull but has been trained to help with his anxiety attacks. Unfortunately because of individuals that have trained that breed to be mean he is unable to travel with his dog.

Yes there are those who take advantage but you never know what someone has been through.

I think everyone is referring to the dogs that are dressed up or being fed at the dining table or being pushed around in a carriage. It is unfortunate that people take advantage and then people like your son, who needs his dog, isn't allowed to travel with him.

I think everyone is referring to the dogs that are dressed up or being fed at the dining table or being pushed around in a carriage. It is unfortunate that people take advantage and then people like your son, who needs his dog, isn't allowed to travel with him.

This, exactly.

Royal could cut down on this a bit by simply charging a fee - the posers are more likely to give up then.

The issue with this is that it could potentially violate the Americans With Disabilities Act for truly disabled people and their service dogs.

Recently off from a B2B on Oasis, and we saw a young lady with a puppy Yorkie. I will not comment about its validity as a service dog...But I will comment on the fact that she clearly didn't respond to the poor things needs, because it was pulling on the lead and clearly wanted to 'go'. However, she ignored / failed to recognise the signs and I was just about to say something when it poo'ed on the floor!clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

This was in the photo section with many people / children about. My husband and I were disgusted. It shouldn't have happened - not the poor pups fault. She was not carrying any bags or way of clearing this up clear.png?emoji-mad-1709

The lady was lucky there was a poor cleaner very near and she asked him to get paper towels & it was then cleared up.

We thought we had seen it all - but this was a new one for us! :rolleyes:

Jean

As someone who dedicates A LOT of time an energy raising Guide Dogs for the Blind on a volunteer basis, I absolutely hate when people carry tiny dogs around and claim them to be for "emotional support". Something needs to give with this ridiculous practice. There are people (PTSD for example) who really do suffer and thrive with the use of a TRAIND AND CERTIFIED animal. Unfortunately, we have not gotten to the point where we have created a standard for the real guid/service animals so people take advantage of it far too much.

"I get sad if my yorkie isn't always with me" is not a real reason. Not saying that is the case here however I expect it is. Service animals should not be carried around in purses.

As someone who dedicates A LOT of time an energy raising Guide Dogs for the Blind on a volunteer basis, I absolutely hate when people carry tiny dogs around and claim them to be for "emotional support". Something needs to give with this ridiculous practice. There are people (PTSD for example) who really do suffer and thrive with the use of a TRAIND AND CERTIFIED animal. Unfortunately, we have not gotten to the point where we have created a standard for the real guid/service animals so people take advantage of it far too much.

"I get sad if my yorkie isn't always with me" is not a real reason. Not saying that is the case here however I expect it is. Service animals should not be carried around in purses.

Proper service dogs are a lifesaver but these comfort dogs are a ruse to possibly save on kennel costs because on a ship the experience is a comfort itself.